Amida Brimah needs help | The Boneyard

Amida Brimah needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I mean right after SMU and the type of performance he shows he is capable of, he comes back with this type of game. Sure fouls were a factor. We all know he's a project but is anyone helping him?

He's now a junior and a proven game changer, if he produces a little bit (beyond blocked shots and altered ones) I think we could have won. I'm not placing the loss on him, but it sad seeing an agile 7 footer in his junior year not consistently producing. I don't want to see him bashed here at UConn either because he brings energy, effort, determination, no escalator, ten toes in and a bit of toughness. Hell he never complains and is disappointed in himself at his mistakes more than anyone else. The kid wants to get better and plays that way, but he needs help.

Projects require planning, attention, and commitment to their success. I don't want his story to end negatively from a career standpoint. He could be made into an NBAer and not because of his height. So who the hell is working with him?

Just saying I really don't think its all on him, he's got talent but its taking way too long to develop and master. Just sad I tell you, especially if it becomes wasted over 4 years.

Reaction Score
A wasted four years. His rebound and put back to save our NCAA bacon in 2014 don't count.

Wake up.

Reaction Score
Love Brimah but he is physically so weak and hedges for the block every time and can't rebound.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Brimah, Nolan and Facey are nearly the exact same players they were when they first walked on campus.

How people think that's all right is just so far beyond me.

I look at player development, the in-game coaching and conditioning and I wonder just who the hell is minding the store.

If Ollie's the right guy, then someone beneath him isn't doing their job. Make a move.

Reaction Score
In 2014, some on this board projected, with his raw physical gifts and potential, he'd improve to the point of being a lottery pick after 2 or 3 years. Those people were used to what we saw in the Calhoun years with equally unheralded guys like Okafor, Boone, and Thabeet.

They forgot that this staff hasn't demonstrated they can develop talent in the same manner. The truth is, we still don't know if Ollie and his staff can get significant improvement out of someone like Brimah or Facey. The returns so far are mixed at best.

Reaction Score
Brimah, Nolan and Facey are nearly the exact same players they were when they first walked on campus.

I look at player development, the in-game coaching and conditioning and I wonder just who the hell is minding the store.

If Ollie's the right guy, then someone beneath him isn't doing their job. Make a move.

I'm with you Fish. Totally on board with hiring a new bench coach and clearing out the current staff.

Reaction Score
If Glen Miller gets hired by CCSU, I hope we find a very reputable big man/offensive coach. It's cool having a home-grown staff, but it does seem like it is coming at the expense of our offense.

Reaction Score
Even forgetting about Brimah, it seems like some sort of player development malpractice that a kid like Facey is where he is as a junior.
Yeah forgot about Facey, hell my post applies to him as well, and he came in more talented than Brimah. He was the NYC player of the year. New York fukkin City!

This is malpractice, miscarriage and just plain failure.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Even forgetting about Brimah, it seems like some sort of player development malpractice that a kid like Facey is where he is as a junior.

Facey is the one who bothers me the most.

I don't think Phil Nolan has much talent and the fact that he is going to play four years and graduate from UConn is something of a monument to the kid's heart and mind. So if he's a career 1.5 point, 1.5 rebound player, so be it.

But Facey looks like a player. He yo-yos in and out of the rotation and it doesn't seem predicted on anything other than sometimes they see him and sometimes they don't.

Sometimes I see Glenn Miller perched on the edge of his seat and I wish it was a trebuchet that would fling him to some low-major job somewhere.

Reaction Score

Sad part is at this development pace we can't expect a better version next year.

Reaction Score
To make another point: we're never going to be the sort of program that regularly gets Top 10, polished bigs.

If we can't develop big men, what you're seeing right now might be close to the limit of what we'll get out of our frontcourt. That would be a major hindrance to returning to perennial contender status.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I see Glenn Miller perched on the edge of his seat and I wish it was a trebuchet that would fling him to some low-major job somewhere.

You mean like the CCSU job? We can hope, right?

Reaction Score
To make another point: we're never going to be the sort of program that regularly gets Top 10, polished bigs.

If we can't develop big men, what you're seeing right now might be close to the limit of what we'll get out of our frontcourt. That would be a major hindrance to returning to perennial contender status.
Our last two Championships were with donut teams. And top Bigs are coming in (including Facey), this thread is about how they are going out.

Reaction Score
Brimah, Nolan and Facey are nearly the exact same players they were when they first walked on campus. How people think that's all right is just so far beyond me. I look at player development, the in-game coaching and conditioning and I wonder just who the hell is minding the store. If Ollie's the right guy, then someone beneath him isn't doing their job. Make a move.
Maybe they can't develop because they don't practice against good competition? In our golden years of big men we always had 3-4 legitimate bigs on the roster it seemed like. We have some big talent coming in the next class so maybe that will help. Looks like Brimah will be back with Facey & Enoch so add that to the newcomers maybe there will be some real development next year.

Reaction Score
What raw physical tools exactly? I don't see him as a good athlete.

He's just very lean and gets pushed around by college players. How could he remotely play at the next level?

If Brown reclassifies and Enoch improves over the summer I can't imagine Brimah is even a primary part next year.

In 2014, some on this board projected, with his raw physical gifts and potential, he'd improve to the point of being a lottery pick after 2 or 3 years. Those people were used to what we saw in the Calhoun years with equally unheralded guys like Okafor, Boone, and Thabeet.

They forgot that this staff hasn't demonstrated they can develop talent in the same manner. The truth is, we still don't know if Ollie and his staff can get significant improvement out of someone like Brimah or Facey. The returns so far are mixed at best.

Reaction Score

Please don't believe the reported numbers we hear. He is 7' tall and looks to weigh 210-215, maybe 220 not 235. It's like believing height measurements that teams report on some players. Most of the players he goes up against have 30-50 lbs on him, and it was apparent today. You can't coach lack of strength. He does the best he can.

Reaction Score
What raw physical tools exactly? I don't see him as a good athlete.

He's just very lean and gets pushed around by college players. How could he remotely play at the next level?

If Brown reclassifies and Enoch improves over the summer I can't imagine Brimah is even a primary part next year.

He could run the floor, catch a pass, and dunk, as well as block shots. He was arguably ahead of where Thabeet was on Day 1. Now it's looking like 3rd year Thabeet will be much, much better than 4th year Brimah.

The apparent lack of strength -- as well as basketball -- coaching is concerning.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Going further by adding Calhoun and players who have transferred, the junior and senior classes have had the least impact on the court of any two classes in the past 25 years.

Two classes with no impact.

Reaction Score
Our problem was offense tonight. The bigs can't score if no one gives them the ball. I know we got our rebounded badly but poor offensive execution as usual was the problem. We fed Miller early but gave up and shot contested late shot clock jump shots like we always do mist of the game. Our guards missed bunnies all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom