Americans Abroad | Page 33 | The Boneyard

Americans Abroad

Reaction Score
Bizarre decision to leave Pulisic out of the starting lineup, but once he came in, he wreaked havoc and picked up the assist on the game/series sealing goal.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bizarre decision to leave Pulisic out of the starting lineup, but once he came in, he wreaked havoc and picked up the assist on the game/series sealing goal.
It was a manager trying to be a genius, to show who's boss. I liked in the post-game when Roberto Martinez was asked if the result justified the decision: "No".

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It was a manager trying to be a genius, to show who's boss. I liked in the post-game when Roberto Martinez was asked if the result justified the decision: "No".

I think it's probably just anti Americanism at work. Especially after the whole Super League fiasco and protests at Man U the other day.

Reaction Score
Tuchel: "We wanted to have a bit of height, that's why Havertz started over Pulisic. It was a very tough decision. But very happy that Christian turned his anger into positive energy."

Height? It's easy to see how these coaches have such short stints at clubs. I mean, they got the result, but Pulisic is clearly their hottest player. Chelsea fans were livid he was left out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tuchel: "We wanted to have a bit of height, that's why Havertz started over Pulisic. It was a very tough decision. But very happy that Christian turned his anger into positive energy."

Height? It's easy to see how these coaches have such short stints at clubs. I mean, they got the result, but Pulisic is clearly their hottest player. Chelsea fans were livid he was left out.
Tuchel is A Real Man of Genius. Real couldn't handle Pulisic just the week before. And whaddya know? They couldn't handle him when he finally hit the pitch. His sitting kept the opposition in the game.

Reaction Score
Interesting though that in Tuchel's mind it's Havertz versus Pulisic, whereas everyone else thinks it's Werner versus Pulisic, and it was Werner who came off FOR Pulisic.

Reaction Score
I find Tuchel very vanilla. I don’t feel like he’s got personality like Jose, swag like Hansi, or innovative tactics like Pep. Clearly he does something right and wins a lot, but I was not enamored when I saw he’d be managing Pulisic (not a Chelsea fan, fwiw). In my head there’s a group of 15-20 managers (whether that’s actually true or not) that almost incestuously rotate between Europe’s top clubs, and he’s definitely one of the least impressive in that group.

Reaction Score
The thing that is great about Pulisic is how he slows down time in the box. I used to think that he was the only American who could remain calm in the box with the ball. Now I think he may be one of the best in the world at it. His assist to put away Real Madrid was just one of those of those moments. He doesn't panic or rush. He simply stops time. And then makes the proper play. It is fun to watch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The thing that is great about Pulisic is how he slows down time in the box. I used to think that he was the only American who could remain calm in the box with the ball. Now I think he may be one of the best in the world at it. His assist to put away Real Madrid was just one of those of those moments. He doesn't panic or rush. He simply stops time. And then makes the proper play. It is fun to watch.
Yep, on both his goal in leg 1 and his assist in leg 2, he just froze Courtois and let the play develop in the box.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I find Tuchel very vanilla. I don’t feel like he’s got personality like Jose, swag like Hansi, or innovative tactics like Pep.
He has the ego, though.

Reaction Score
I find Tuchel very vanilla. I don’t feel like he’s got personality like Jose, swag like Hansi, or innovative tactics like Pep. Clearly he does something right and wins a lot, but I was not enamored when I saw he’d be managing Pulisic (not a Chelsea fan, fwiw). In my head there’s a group of 15-20 managers (whether that’s actually true or not) that almost incestuously rotate between Europe’s top clubs, and he’s definitely one of the least impressive in that group.

Tuchel doesn’t last long at places.

Reaction Score
You would think he would learn by now. It's not all about him.

Well, he was at odds with Dortmund’s higher ups because he was upset about forcing the team to play in the Europa League so soon after the bombing. That did him in. I give him the benefit of the doubt. But then he pissed off the higher ups at PSG. So, it will happen again.

Reaction Score
Well, he was at odds with Dortmund’s higher ups because he was upset about forcing the team to play in the Europa League so soon after the bombing. That did him in. I give him the benefit of the doubt. But then he pissed off the higher ups at PSG. So, it will happen again.
His exit from Mainz wasn't the smoothest either.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Shout out to honorary American Abroad Cyle Larin for leading Bestikas to the Turkish double. He had 19 goals and 6 assists!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Barnsley got knocked out of the Championship playoffs yesterday by my Swans. Dike will now return to Orlando FC. Curious to see what happens. Can't imagine how you go from the intensity and high of being in a playoff race and eventual playoffs for promotion, to going back to MLS. Will be interesting to see what happens with his play in MLS and in interest with him when the European transfer window opens.

Reaction Score
Barnsley got knocked out of the Championship playoffs yesterday by my Swans. Dike will now return to Orlando FC. Curious to see what happens. Can't imagine how you go from the intensity and high of being in a playoff race and eventual playoffs for promotion, to going back to MLS. Will be interesting to see what happens with his play in MLS and in interest with him when the European transfer window opens.

Can’t believe Barnsley hasn’t bought him. He’s cult figure there now.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
They can't afford him. Looking forward to seeing him suit up for the Nat team.
I'm going to disagree. I don't see him costing that much that they can't afford him. Was surprised to see he didn't start the final leg on Saturday.

EDIT: Just saw his valuation at 3.3 million?!? What the...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom