American Conf. Opener | The Boneyard

American Conf. Opener

Reaction Score
Tulane V Memphis. Could be an interesting game. I’m interested to see how Memphis looks. What are our predictions for conference play? I have us finishing 3rd behind Memphis and Wichita St.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Tulane was up 11 early. Memphis has responded now up 4. They seem like they’ll eventually pull away- but I think Ron Hunter will eventually get it done at Tulane. He’s a really good coach.

Edit- get it done means making them not awful. Not anything more than that.

Reaction Score
Were you expecting them to be good? Tulane is terrible.
Good? No. Competitive? Yes. They’re improved. They’ve given Memphis the lead. They make CV look like a great decision maker haha. They’re shot selection is collectively atrocious

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
It’s a 7 point game and Tulane is playing really hard. They’re going to get 2-3 games in the league they shouldn’t this year

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I don't know. If all cylinders click,including bench, we may be tops. My opinion only, I think we have a decent bench. Good enough to give rests periods and contribute. I think we will be tough. Can't wait for Cincy.

Reaction Score
I don’t think we’re a fun team to play. Carlton could be a bit more aggressive at times, but we’re tough defensively and get points from a variety of guys. Vital and Gilbert have very active hands, Akok is an elite shot blocker. If we take care of the ball, we’re definitely capable of beating any team in the conference.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don’t think we’re a fun team to play. Carlton could be a bit more aggressive at times, but we’re tough defensively and get points from a variety of guys. Vital and Gilbert have very active hands, Akok is an elite shot blocker. If we take care of the ball, we’re definitely capable of beating any team in the conference.

This^^ For all we complain about matching up with other players, imagine how other teams see us? Akok? Is there a team in this league that can guard him? Is there a guard or wing that isn't going to worry about him blocking their shots? What about stopping a 6'9" high percentage 3 point shooter like Polley? While also guarding a 6'10" 260 pound center with post moves? Or avoiding steals against our guards on the defensive end. We don't give our team credit for being a matchup nightmare for most teams, especially on defense. And lately we've been shredding zones, which is the one primary weakness we had on offense in the past.

Wichita State is the best coached, most cohesive "team". But talent isn't even top 5. Memphis is talented and young. They will have bad nights and bad halves. Houston is all around pretty solid but is very guard heavy. Cincinnati has Cumberland, but seems to be missing the intense defense and rebounding identity they had under Cronin.

Reaction Score
Tulane is going to be a pesky out. Better not show up half asleep for the 9 pm start next week. No students there too with break still going on.

Reaction Score
This^^ For all we complain about matching up with other players, imagine how other teams see us? Akok? Is there a team in this league that can guard him?

Huh? He isn't averaging 7 points a game. While I share your optimism about his long term potential to do more offensively, until he does do you really believe opposing coaches are worried about him beating you with his offense?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Huh? He isn't averaging 7 points a game. While I share your optimism about his long term potential to do more offensively, until he does do you really believe opposing coaches are worried about him beating you with his offense?

If you aren't worried about a 6'9" guy who can shoot, run, jump and dunk then you'll be the team he finally puts up 20 against. We've seen players who don't score effectively torch us (St. Joes). Sooner or later Akok is going to realize what he can do. Yes, he hasn't really gone off yet on the offensive end, but he's the hardest guy to defend. Vital doesn't get his own shot against decent man defense, nor does Polley. Carlton is easily fronted and denied the ball by shorter players. AG can beat his man, but can't do much once he does.

As you said in your post, that is going to mean that Vital and Gilbert can become the more efficient scorers we know they are. I feel like this roster is on the edge of breaking out on the offensive end, with Akok, Bouknight and Gaffney as the keys to unlock more open looks for Carlton, AG, CV, Polley and Adams.

Reaction Score
If you aren't worried about a 6'9" guy who can shoot, run, jump and dunk then you'll be the team he finally puts up 20 against. We've seen players who don't score effectively torch us (St. Joes). Sooner or later Akok is going to realize what he can do. Yes, he hasn't really gone off yet on the offensive end, but he's the hardest guy to defend. Vital doesn't get his own shot against decent man defense, nor does Polley. Carlton is easily fronted and denied the ball by shorter players. AG can beat his man, but can't do much once he does.

As you said in your post, that is going to mean that Vital and Gilbert can become the more efficient scorers we know they are. I feel like this roster is on the edge of breaking out on the offensive end, with Akok, Bouknight and Gaffney as the keys to unlock more open looks for Carlton, AG, CV, Polley and Adams.

Might he have a breakout 20 point game one night? Sure. But you really think THAT is what opposing coaches are going to be worried about until he does it?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Does Houston have any returning guys or just the JUCO all star team again?
a mixture - Grimes is a player
They are tall in the backcourt - all guards are between 6'3"-6'5"
frontcourt aren't big but agile and athletic with long arms and can jump out of the gym
Have seen them 3 times this year and they can be cold from the outside but are scrappy and rebound like crazy
Plus - while I am not at all a fan - Sampson is the best coach in the conference - Marshall at WSU is a close second
HuskyHawk goes through all the match - up issues some teams could have with UConn but Houston, WSU and Memphis has an answer to everyone of UConn's players in every position - including Akok
Each of these teams has 3's and 4's who can score from outside and inside as well as go nuts on the boards. Yes Akok will match up but these guys are going to eat up Polley. If Josh doesn't wake up, the bigs will destroy him.
UConn can beat these teams but everyone will have to be on their A game
Let's throw up the ball and see what happens

Last edited:
Reaction Score
frontcourt aren't big but agile and athletic with long arms and can jump out of the gym
Have seen them 3 times this year and they can be cold from the outside but are scrappy and rebound like crazy

Dejon Jarreau will go off against us in typical fashion

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tulane is going to be a pesky out. Better not show up half asleep for the 9 pm start next week. No students there too with break still going on.
But all the folks on this board who want all the games in Gampel will be there.

I kid, those jamokes don't go to games.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Not nearly as talented but stylistically they remind me a little of the Illinois teams with Nick Anderson, Kendall Gill, Kenny Battle and Marcus Liberty (all under 6'8"). Damn that team was great.

Really strange matchup for us because they are quick, athletic and big in the back-court, but so small in the front court. If we post Carlton and Akok I'm not sure how they defend that. If we spread it out with 5 outside they'll kill us.

Reaction Score
But all the folks on this board who want all the games in Gampel will be there.

I kid, those jamokes don't go to games.

I think just about everyone is fine with games played during break being in Hartford

Reaction Score
Memphis at Wichita State 1/9 will be a good game.

We will host Wichita 1/12. Did well against them at Gampel last year.

Reaction Score
I think just about everyone is fine with games played during break being in Hartford
I’ve always felt like there should be some way to balance it where all home games during break are at Hartford while ~80% of home games with students in session (just a couple of conference games to even out the numbers) are at Gampel. Would that really be too hard?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom