America 12 | The Boneyard

America 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
According to ESPN, the new conference name for the remaining BE football schools and incoming members will likely be under a conference name that will be derived from something like America 12, America 12 Conference, The America 12, etc.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
No great choices out there, so while I'm not wowed by it, I'm fine with it.

I thought it was important to have an "A" name to put the conference near the top of standings listings.

Reaction Score
According to ESPN, the new conference name for the remaining BE football schools and incoming members will likely be under a conference name that will be derived from something like America 12, America 12 Conference, The America 12, etc.

Thoughts?
I like it, sounds strong.
Nice avatar. It's "Tink"! That's what we need - a little fairy dust and a few happy thoughts!

Reaction Score

Thoughts?

I prefer America's 12 To America 12. Makes it sound like we belong to everybody like the Cowboys billed themselves America's Team.

Reaction Score
I like it, sounds strong.
Nice avatar. It's "Tink"! That's what we need - a little fairy dust and a few happy thoughts!
Exactly why I picked it, along with my "positive thinking" signature line.

I believe.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sounds like a mid major conference.
America East
Mid-American

Reaction Score
Is the name "Conference USA" in use? Seems to be most of it in this group.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Thoughts?
I wouldn't give it a number (12). That'll be out of date, probably before the conference's first game.

Reaction Score
I was kind of partial to the Big MAC, ---- mainly in my younger years.

I think if we are going American, I would go -- All American Conference At least that is what we aspire to.

Reaction Score
I still like the Phoenix Conference. The new conference WILL rise from the ashes of the flaming remnants of the Big East to achieve prominance and glory.

But nobody ever listens to me...

Reaction Score
I was kind of partial to the Big MAC, ---- mainly in my younger years.

I think if we are going American, I would go -- All American Conference At least that is what we aspire to.
AAC? Yeah, that about sums it up.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
From what I understand, the nitwits in the conference office thought it was a homerun, but the members didn't like it.

It kind of got out of the barn when some West Virginia fans did a WHOIS search and noticed the registrar was the Big East's attorneys.

Reaction Score
This trip is not a direct flight. Stops in a few places before getting to the big city.

Patience.
And it sure as heck won't be stapping at Boneyard International for any reason.

Reaction Score
Like Meyers, I think attaching a number to the name is not a good idea.

I think "The Big Whatever" would be most descriptive, but they probably
won't choose it.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a mid major conference.
America East
Mid-American

Wait. UCONN was until recently a basketball school, fitting squarely within the athletic footprint of the catholic schools that were the heart of the Big East conference. It is reasonable for the Catholic aggregation to keep the Big East name.

As conference alignments are weighted towards football, it is necessary to consider uconn's football history. In so doing, we can see that UCONN has about a decade's worth of top level football legacy; a modern, though smallish stadium; interested, but not overly football-obsessed fans (CT is not AL, let alone OK) and going to high school football games on Friday night is not a religion in CT as it is elsewhere. So, if we are ever to see UCONN #1 in football, it will require special circumstances and a bit of luck.

Now, here's the kicker (pun intended): UCONN has a better chance of a -0- or -1- loss football season on a consistent basis in the leftover conference than it does in the conferences that BYers covet. UCONN has little or no chance of regularly whupping up on FSU, Miami, Clemson in the same season, year after year. Instead, UCONN would be lucky to achieve 6-6 football status on a regular basis in the Big Bad conferences. BC has gotten all but lost in the shuffle in the ACC. I doubt Rutgers will overwhelm the Big Umpteen and I'm not dure WV really fits in well with TX and OK.

Those who covet Big Bad conference may wish to consider whether it's worthwhile and fan friendly to be a football doormat, like, say, Duke, Northwestern, and soon to include Rutgers, I think; or whether it's better to dominate a leftover conference like a BYU or a Boise State?

All UCONN has to do is play well in The Leftover Conference, schedule big reputation no conference games. And win them. Beating Michigan this coming season would be a good way to start the process of elevating The Leftover Conference up to, say, the status of The Flyover Conference (also a suitable name for the Big 12 IMHO) and then, if the conference continues to well it could ultimately be known as The We Shocked the World Conference.

All I'm really saying is UCONN needs time to develop its football chops. Imho, the best wsy to do that is to dominate in the new conference. Doing that probably won't be easy. Even among uconn's new conference rivals there are those among them that have storied football tradition , including Heisman winners and championship seasons. So, even there, I'm not sure it serves any putpose in bad mouthing schools that have a much stronger football tradition than uconn, and holding up our noses at them to boot. What's up with that?

We'll do fine in the leftover conference; and in actual football terms, that is where we fit the best.

Meanwhile, there's still a good chance its 7 WCBB championships will be 8 in <1 month.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
UConn will not be in the Leftover Conference that long.

Reaction Score
UConn will not be in the Leftover Conference that long.

A certain Chinese proverb might apply if UCONN fails to grasp and really latch onto the opportunity of building the Leftover Conference into a "contender."

UCONN fans seem to have a taste preference for winning. Would you agree with me UCONN has a better chance of consistently winning futbol games in Leftover Conference than some Big Bad one?

Beating Army, Navy and Houston, to name some of its conference foes who have Heisman trophies in their cupboards, is nothing to sneeze at.

How many Heisman trophies we got?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Maybe we should just be called "Diaspora Conference" calling reference to the fact that we are the descendants of the Catholic 7 ;)

Reaction Score
Wait. UCONN was until recently a basketball school, fitting squarely within the athletic footprint of the catholic schools that were the heart of the Big East conference. It is reasonable for the Catholic aggregation to keep the Big East name.

As conference alignments are weighted towards football, it is necessary to consider uconn's football history. In so doing, we can see that UCONN has about a decade's worth of top level football legacy; a modern, though smallish stadium; interested, but not overly football-obsessed fans (CT is not AL, let alone OK) and going to high school football games on Friday night is not a religion in CT as it is elsewhere. So, if we are ever to see UCONN #1 in football, it will require special circumstances and a bit of luck.

Now, here's the kicker (pun intended): UCONN has a better chance of a -0- or -1- loss football season on a consistent basis in the leftover conference than it does in the conferences that BYers covet. UCONN has little or no chance of regularly whupping up on FSU, Miami, Clemson in the same season, year after year. Instead, UCONN would be lucky to achieve 6-6 football status on a regular basis in the Big Bad conferences. BC has gotten all but lost in the shuffle in the ACC. I doubt Rutgers will overwhelm the Big Umpteen and I'm not dure WV really fits in well with TX and OK.

Those who covet Big Bad conference may wish to consider whether it's worthwhile and fan friendly to be a football doormat, like, say, Duke, Northwestern, and soon to include Rutgers, I think; or whether it's better to dominate a leftover conference like a BYU or a Boise State?

All UCONN has to do is play well in The Leftover Conference, schedule big reputation no conference games. And win them. Beating Michigan this coming season would be a good way to start the process of elevating The Leftover Conference up to, say, the status of The Flyover Conference (also a suitable name for the Big 12 IMHO) and then, if the conference continues to well it could ultimately be known as The We Shocked the World Conference.

All I'm really saying is UCONN needs time to develop its football chops. Imho, the best wsy to do that is to dominate in the new conference. Doing that probably won't be easy. Even among uconn's new conference rivals there are those among them that have storied football tradition , including Heisman winners and championship seasons. So, even there, I'm not sure it serves any putpose in bad mouthing schools that have a much stronger football tradition than uconn, and holding up our noses at them to boot. What's up with that?

We'll do fine in the leftover conference; and in actual football terms, that is where we fit the best.

Meanwhile, there's still a good chance its 7 WCBB championships will be 8 in <1 month.

what makes you think people here care about football? well, maybe some do, maybe even a lot do. all i know is that football is what has caused the demise of one of the best overall athletic conferences in the country. uconn is more than football and bb, with much success in soccer , baseball, field hockey, and others. the conference had great academic institutions with great rivalries in all of those sports. all gone. now uconn is left to create rivalries with houston, smu, memphis, central florida, and who knows who else.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Maybe we should just be called "Diaspora Conference" calling reference to the fact that we are the descendants of the Catholic 7 ;)
I like that.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

This again!???

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member