America 12 should add non-football schools | The Boneyard

America 12 should add non-football schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The America 12, or whatever our conference ends up calling itself, should invite the four best A10/MVC schools not invited to the C7. Schools like VCU, Richmond, St. Louis, Dayton and Creighton (if not invited to the C7) would instantly upgrade the quality of basketball in the conference, as well as other olympic sports.

As for diluting the money pool, I don't think the difference would be significant, and a better product would probably result in more TV money in the future, as well as an increase in school's individual revenues (more tickets would be sold with these teams on the schedule). Plus, more tournament teams means more money for the conference.

As for the argument of not having non-football members, we already have NAVY so that is out of the window. Furthermore, I am not convinced ECU will be added as an all-sports member. Assuming we end up adding Tulsa as an all-sports member, it would not make much sense having having 12 schools for football and 11 for basketball.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Here's a better idea. Let's find a billionaire that loves college basketball (Uconn would be nice) but wants to screw with the current system because he thinks its unfair. He can offer UCLA, UNC, Michigan and Alabama, 250 million each to join our conference for a 5 year period. The watch the fireworks begin as other schools will be clamoring to get into the our conference.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The America 12, or whatever our conference ends up calling itself, should invite the four best A10/MVC schools not invited to the C7. Schools like VCU, Richmond, St. Louis, Dayton and Creighton (if not invited to the C7) would instantly upgrade the quality of basketball in the conference, as well as other olympic sports.

As for diluting the money pool, I don't think the difference would be significant, and a better product would probably result in more TV money in the future, as well as an increase in school's individual revenues (more tickets would be sold with these teams on the schedule). Plus, more tournament teams means more money for the conference.

As for the argument of not having non-football members, we already have NAVY so that is out of the window. Furthermore, I am not convinced ECU will be added as an all-sports member. Assuming we end up adding Tulsa as an all-sports member, it would not make much sense having having 12 schools for football and 11 for basketball.

Thoughts?

Dude - I hope you are not in an abusive relationship because you will never get out of it.

Reaction Score
I guess he hasn't been a fan for long. Never saw the Big East debacles.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can we tar and feather the OP? I mean seriously, we are finally, blessedly rid of the split conference concept and someone wants to bring it back from the dead. Football only is different, although I am not convinced Navy will join.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I would be for adding VCU along with UMass and potentially ODU. ODU is going FBS starting this year, UMass will eventually and VCU will likely be adding football in the near future. All three should be capable of fielding competitive teams in the not-so-distant future and would boost the hoops a little relative to the bottom of the current A12.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I would be for adding VCU along with UMass and potentially ODU. ODU is going FBS starting this year, UMass will eventually and VCU will likely be adding football in the near future. All three should be capable of fielding competitive teams in the not-so-distant future and would boost the hoops a little relative to the bottom of the current A12.
UMass already in FBS in MAC

Reaction Score
Yea no hear him out. I think i've had a breakthrough. I mean the main driving force is football but why do we have to play to the big guys? Let's give the little guys a chance lets make a conference based around basketball in the east. We'll give the people a product they deserve. We'll keep football to not get left behind and still compete with the big boys. I know it'll be a bit large(necessary) and of course east coast based so we can just call it the big east. What could go wrong with that?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

VCU plays club-level football....that's club level. Even worse, they've only done that for a year. They are a decade away, minimum.

And Old Dominion is 5-25 in hoop this year.

Your idea was bad. Very, very bad.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It worked so well the first time when it was called the Big East...

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It worked so well the first time when it was called the Big East...

Yes, we all loved each other, toasted marshmallows and sang "Kumbaya" while dancing by firelight. And nobody was ever bitter or wanted to leave.

Reaction Score
You can add a basketball only or two. But that's the thing. You can't have 9,000 of them like before. If you want VCU and St. Louis that's fine, but we aren't absorbing the A-10. But one thing I'm wondering - if the A-12 offered Ohio to come (as a full member), would they come? Is Ohio even good enough to be offered or am I just stupid?

Reaction Score
Guys, this would not be the same as before. The problem with the Big East was that it was created as a basketball conference, which then expanded to football and, as such, ended up being the only hybrid power conference, which eventually caused its demise. If the conference agrees to do this now from the beginning the power struggles that existed in the BE for years would no longer be an issue because everyone would know were everyone stands now.

There is nobody available to join our conference that would strengthen the football side of things. However, the schools I mentioned previously would definitely strengthen basketball in the new league. Why not do it then?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Guys, this would not be the same as before. The problem with the Big East was that it was created as a basketball conference, which then expanded to football and, as such, ended up being the only hybrid power conference, which eventually caused its demise. If the conference agrees to do this now from the beginning the power struggles that existed in the BE for years would no longer be an issue because everyone would know were everyone stands now.

There is nobody available to join our conference that would strengthen the football side of things. However, the schools I mentioned previously would definitely strengthen basketball in the new league. Why not do it then?

Because ESPN wouldn't pay us a penny more.

Reaction Score
BACK TO MY IDEA ... FROM THE SPORTS I'VE WATCHED THIS WEEK:

Our Basketball can be uplifted to great heights by copying the Euro Football - Champions League.

Play 14 league games in the nBE. Play 4 key games intermingled in the last week of January and the first 2 of February ... with other Higher Hoop Conferences. (UConn, Memphis, Cincinnati designated from our league; San Diego State, UNLV, UNM from the Mountain West; Gonzaga and BYU; VCU and Lasalle; Wichita State; Louisiana Tech). Get good TV times to go against the Michigan State v Iowa type bores. And build a base inseason. Replaces the now defunct Bracket Busters.

Then ... I guess you need a Championship Game ... during Championship Week.

Reaction Score
I do think we should make a run at Hopkins for lax

Reaction Score
Assuming Navy still joins in 2015 as football only any chance of them convincing Army as well? Hope I won't give a hoot about this conference in 2015....but I know there was talk of them awhile back and it faded.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
VCU plays club-level football....that's club level. Even worse, they've only done that for a year. They are a decade away, minimum.

And Old Dominion is 5-25 in hoop this year.

Your idea was bad. Very, very bad.

I understand the sentiment, but prefer to take a longer view.

ODU had a bad year and fired their coach. Since they went D1 in 1977, 11 NCAA, 10 NIT and 3 CBI/CIT postseason appearances. That's better than Providence, DePaul or even Rutgers.

Regarding VCU football, Apple stock was under $100 ten years ago. I think they're a good bet. And they definitely upgrade hoops.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

I hate stupid people.

I really hate people who wrote what you did.

Reaction Score
A spite invite of Creighton and Butler would make me happy, but really, we haven't learned our lesson the hard way yet?

Reaction Score
I think if anything you need to find another football school to be a regional/ local rival for Cincy. If the school is good in basketball or at least on an upward trend then even better. The Bearcats are more isolated from the rest of the league than anyone. I can see why their fans would be upset. They have no natural rival left in this league. OU, Kent St come to mind. Too bad Xavier didn't have a decent football team. Those schools dislike each other on the same scale as UConn/BC. At least we have Temple and that's not saying a whole hell of a lot. If anything maybe the conference as a whole should set up some kind of slush fund to help the weaker basketball programs build facilities and hire attractive coaches. You know, build for the future kind of thing and just try and keep the league at 12 for a while till they can negotiate a better TV deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom