Amari Playing Time | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Amari Playing Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Number 42, DeBerry, is not a Post or she would have played 2 years ago. She did sink that 3 nicely, didn't she!
Amari has a decent touch in the high post and 3-point areas.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Amari can’t just be thrown into games. Geno needs to give her gradually increasing time against a variety of opponents, pull her out, coach her up, and put her back in. It’s a process.

i think it’s unreasonable to expect her to have gotten a lot of time yesterday. Tossing an improving, but relatively inexperienced player into an away game against ND is like throwing a beginning swimmer into the deep end of the pool. Those first few strokes may look good but inexperience and fatigue (it was a very physical game) could spell disaster. We don’t want her confidence smashed

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What Amari is is a scholarship holder that is not taking advantage of her opportunities. Azura Stevens? Please!!! If Amari played like Azura she would play 35 MPG for UCONN instead of leading the 3 point celebrations.
Amari is more Iciss Tillis than Azura

@CamrnCrz1974

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Amari can’t just be thrown into games. Geno needs to give her gradually increasing time against a variety of opponents, pull her out, coach her up, and put her back in. It’s a process.
i think it’s unreasonable to expect her to have gotten a lot of time yesterday. Tossing an improving, but relatively inexperienced player into an away game against ND is like throwing a beginning swimmer into the deep end of the pool. Those first few strokes may look good but inexperience and fatigue (it was a very physical game) could spell disaster. We don’t want her confidence smashed
:eek:The alternative to Amari was Patterson. Patterson treaded water just fine.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
:eek:The alternative to Amari was Patterson. Patterson treaded water just fine.
Ayanna and Aaliyah are physically mature and won’t shy from contact. There was one play where Aaliyah and an ND post, Ebo?, locked arms and it looked like they were both trying to wrestle the other to the ground. Amari would have either backed away or have gotten hurt. Either way, a defensive liability.

The ND posts got a little more leery of trying to physically intimidate Aaliyah after that. She did so much that never shows up on a box score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ayanna and Aaliyah are physically mature and won’t shy from contact. There was one play where Aaliyah and an ND post, Ebo?, locked arms and it looked like they were both trying to wrestle the other to the ground. Amari would have either backed away or have gotten hurt. Either way, a defensive liability.
The ND posts got a little more leery of trying to physically intimidate Aaliyah after that. She did so much that never shows up on a box score
That tie up was with Westbeld on the baseline but I agree with what you are saying. Amari is not build for that kind of rugged play. BTW Ebo was a major problem and scored like 5 baskets from the same damn ND play. A hard message sending foul by UCONN would have been most appropriate after Ebo's second basket.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Amari grabbed the same amount of rebounds in her 4 minutes as you and I did.
True, but she got five more points than we did in those four minutes.

I feel as if a lightbulb has come on for Amari. Hopefully it will continue to shine brighter.

Reaction Score

"Tossing an improving, but relatively inexperienced player into an away game against ND is like throwing a beginning swimmer into the deep end of the pool."

That's exactly what Geno did with Ayanna, though. Both Amari and Ayanna have the athleticism and physical skill to be successful players. The game needs to slow down for both. You can see both "thinking" on the court (where should I be?) rather than just reacting. As she gets more comfortable, Ayanna's strength and rebounding are going to be real assets for Geno.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IMO given time, Amari has a higher ceiling than Dorka, particularly playing offense.
ted-lasso-potential.gif

Reaction Score
It has been a mixed bag, Caroline saw a rise in her ranking but that was during COVID and based on a couple notable show case events where she balled out. Both KK & Ashlynn Shade saw ranking drop after committing to UCONN.
Specific to Amari her rating drop had nothing to do with her committing to UCONN. Her class simply caught up to and some surpassed her by the time she was a HS senior. You can see the down ward slide in her ESPN evaluations where she went from being tracked as an "elite" prospect (#2) as a freshman to a "P5 prospect" (#15) in the class, by the time she was a senior. Also keep in mind that there were many post/ Big Forward options available in that 2021 HS class.

2021 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW 100 - ESPN

Looking at that list, who in the post/forward position has really stood out so far? It keeps reminding me that rankings are only good for so much.

Some were injured (e.g. Dauda). Others transferred after a season for various reasons (Lattimore, Hollingshead, Hall,). And there are those still with their team and working their way to getting consistent minutes (e.g. O'Grady, Ediger, Striplin, Puckett - for some reason this season).

Iriafen from Stanford and Walsh from Northwestern are making significant contributions. Who else have I missed/overlooked?

Reaction Score

Agree with most of your points but the main issue with DeBerry is her hesitation on both offense and defense, which is usually a result of lack of confidence. On the other hand, Patterson is a perfect example of a player who is always playing at full speed (some would say too fast at times) and is able to create value. At 6'5", if DeBerry would just get aggressive, she could likely get in the rotation.

JBK

Reaction Score
I have no idea how Amari is progressing in practice. Her 30 or so game minutes have been ok. When a team loses a 6-5 C and would rather trust a freshmen, and a 6-1 player who previously was helping out the guards instead of a 6-5 player who was ranked #15 in the country, it is not a good sign.

She might be on the cusp of breaking into the rotation for all I know, but if she can't do it with Ice missing the whole season and Dorka currently out, I certainly don't expect her to be there when Dorka returns.

I think she would need multiple games of good limited minutes production in blowouts before her game track record would mean anything. Her best case scenario, short of further injuries, is probably doing well enough in blowouts to warrant a 4 big rotation. Ideally that would be with her backing up Dorka, Ayanna behind Aaliyah, and freeing up Aubrey to help out on the wing. If that could happen before the tournament it would be nice, but I am not holding my breath on that.
She has a great shooting form …

Reaction Score
I stand with Geno and his decisions. When Amari has worked hard and EARNED playing time she will get it.

sun

Reaction Score
Amari is the only UConn player that finished with a plus in +/- column of the ND box score, a +3.

af7a7c1a-c6e8-4754-9f8f-a2b92651e7b5-jpeg.81527

Plus/minus

+/- (Plus/minus): The total point differential for the time that a specific player is on the court. This statistic measures a player's impact on the game. To calculate +/-, subtract the difference between a player’s team's total points and their opponent's total points when that player is in the game. For example, if a player's team outscored their opponents by eight points when the player is on the court, the player will receive a +8 point differential. If a player's team is outscored by five points when that player is on the court, the player will receive a -5 point differential.

Reaction Score
to have a 6-5 highly ranked recruit now in her second year that has not ever played more than garbage time minutes is maddening. Contrast that with Ayanna Patterson who is already playing more and more meaningful minutes and appears to be gaining Genos trust
Geno stated in the offseason that effort was why Amari didn't get playing time.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Players earn playing time in practice. Practice is where the prove they are dependable and their teammates can count on them to be consistent. We've known Amari can shoot the 3 and be a great passer as a high post, but that is all she has shown and the team needs a little more than that.

I'm a great fan of Amari but she knows what she has to do to earn playing time and she hasn't done it to date.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Amari is the only UConn player that finished with a plus in +/- column of the ND box score, a +3.
Plus/minus
+/- (Plus/minus): The total point differential for the time that a specific player is on the court. This statistic measures a player's impact on the game. To calculate +/-, subtract the difference between a player’s team's total points and their opponent's total points when that player is in the game. For example, if a player's team outscored their opponents by eight points when the player is on the court, the player will receive a +8 point differential. If a player's team is outscored by five points when that player is on the court, the player will receive a -5 point differential.
What Does That Mean Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Reaction Score
Coach is trying to teach her something she isn't learning. I guess. But it was painfully obvious that ND was " beating the crap" out of Edwards, with their 280 pounder and others. Edwards went the full 40 and needed a break. Amari was not used. I think Amari plays a style of BB that coach doesn't see as " working hard." But if Edwards has to do all the work, by herself, she is going to break down physically. Dorka won't be back for at least another couple of games, and probably won't be very good when she first steps on the court. Amari is really important. But coach is coach. We'll see.
You are right on all counts save one maybe. Experience in the post, in the game against an experienced ND. The 8 Ft lead everyone seems to dwell on seems easily overcome. 3 get to the offensive end quickly. The pass in and up the court take 2 to start. But it was MUCH more than that 8 ft lead. ND Westbled and the big broad post of ND was a killer, and she wasn't just BIG. She scored, and defended not all size related. A big wide strong post with Edwards moves and mentality would save the days coming---Uconn just doesn't have them. None now on the team shall fill that void. DEFENSE of ND, rugged, hands on all the time took Lou and AZZI, Caroline, Aubrey for 1/2 each had some success in the 3rd qtr. If it were a 5 quarter game--Uconn may have had a chance. Had Azzi scored 1/4 her normal it may have been a W. ND of course stayed on the floor and played ND Defense which usually is GENO's style DEFENSE, which for 1/2 seems to have faded away. WHY? I'll leave that to @Coco and others. DeBerry, with 2 great shots could not have been Uconn's savior.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
When Amari was in the game, UConn scored 3 more points than ND scored.
I don't see why anyone would dislike the posting of a simple fact that's part of the official NCAA box score.
So what? It's just argumentum ab auctoritate (appeal to authority), a logical fallacy, to use that measure. Just because somebody came up with a new statistic, we don't have to assume that it defines the quality of a player. How did Geno ever manage to evaluate talent back in the days before +/-?

If you make in-game coaching decisions based on that stat, how could you possibly justify giving Azzi starter minutes?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When Amari was in the game, UConn scored 3 more points than ND scored.
I don't see why anyone would dislike the posting of a simple fact that's part of the official NCAA box score.
You are posting the box score to support your contention that Amari should have been "given" more minutes. The outcome was decided by the time Amari came into the game and if Amari could have made a difference in the outcome of this game her HoF coach who was already short two post player would have put her in.

Here is what everyone was thinking by the time Amari entered into the game.
  • Basketball Heads: Garbage time sure started early in this one
  • The Trainers: Do we have enough healthy players for mop up duty
  • Assistant Coaches: Do we have to put w 5 player on the floor just to run the clock out
  • ND fans: There are putting Amari in the game that's the same as waving a white flag
  • The bougie fans: Isn't that fat lady singing like her third aria?
  • The most optimistic UCONN fans including @Tonyc : We'll get then next time.
  • The officials: We haven't called the obvious fouls all game so no chance we are going to start now
  • End of bench players including Amari: I can still get my name in box score and make my parents proud by just committing a foul but a rebound would be much better.
  • Fans in attendance : If I leave right now I can get out of parking garage in less than 1/2 hour
  • Geno to CD : We don 't have any walkons on the rosters this year right?
  • The caterer: UCONN is not going to enjoy their post game meal. I bet they are going to give is a bad review although this is the exact same food we fed then last time they were here.
  • Geno: Bottle of white, a bottle of red, perhaps a bottle of rose instead....

Reaction Score
There will come times/games where Amari's 6'5" height will be irrelevant. Against ND, where we were getting beaten off of the boards consistently, and they were driving to the hoop unmolested, a legit "big" would have been helpful. Let's face it; all roads to the NC this year, run through SC and Stanford; both possessing quality frontcourts in both ability and size.
Let's face it, UCONN beat Stanford last year. They will have to react to UCONN just as much. Stanford will still have questions with their backcourt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom