Amari: New Leaf Just Budding? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Amari: New Leaf Just Budding?

Reaction Score
Nice article. It really is going to be interesting to see how Dorka plays this season, considering she is coming off that hand injury. Many players come back from an injury and play tentative. Hoping that is not the case for Dorka. As for Amari. She will get there. Just gotta keep giving her some love and support. She will get there.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nice article. It really is going to be interesting to see how Dorka plays this season, considering she is coming off that hand injury. Many players come back from an injury and play tentative. Hoping that is not the case for Dorka. As for Amari. She will get there. Just gotta keep giving her some love and support. She will get there.
She will get there (IMHO) only if she puts 100% effort in 95%+ of the time. I think that is the point several are trying to make here.

By all accounts, Ice and Ayanna are hard workers hungry to learn, improve, and play. We already know that Dorka and Liya will most likely start. Will Amari be the first post player off the bench, or the 3rd? If her effort in practice is anything like it was last year, then probably 3rd.

If Geno's comments were referencing her effort this summer, then unfortunately it's not a good sign. If he was referring to a healing injury of some kind, then that's actually preferable. Supposedly, after her meeting with Geno at the end of last season, and per her comments, staying on campus to work and improve was a priority. But if the effort and motor is just not there, then she won't be either (on the court earning PT).

I'm hopeful for her, but not confident, that she has the will or desire to be a major part of the rotation. Please, Amari, prove me wrong...

Reaction Score
I agree she'll get there. The question is whether it will this season in time for the NCAA tournament where she would
be most needed.

Reaction Score
Oh boy, "sometimes showing up, sometimes not"....? I'm taking that to mean mentally, as in having a serious focus.

After last year, if the proverbial "lightbulb" hasn't switched on yet.....well now I have serious doubts.....:(

Reaction Score
She will get there (IMHO) only if she puts 100% effort in 95%+ of the time. I think that is the point several are trying to make here.

By all accounts, Ice and Ayanna are hard workers hungry to learn, improve, and play. We already know that Dorka and Liya will most likely start. Will Amari be the first post player off the bench, or the 3rd? If her effort in practice is anything like it was last year, then probably 3rd.

If Geno's comments were referencing her effort this summer, then unfortunately it's not a good sign. If he was referring to a healing injury of some kind, then that's actually preferable. Supposedly, after her meeting with Geno at the end of last season, and per her comments, staying on campus to work and improve was a priority. But if the effort and motor is just not there, then she won't be either (on the court earning PT).

I'm hopeful for her, but not confident, that she has the will or desire to be a major part of the rotation. Please, Amari, prove me wrong...
Great points. We all can only hope she finds that inner motivation. Like I said, I think that she will find that inner drive and motivation.

Reaction Score
Great points. We all can only hope she finds that inner motivation. Like I said, I think that she will find that inner drive and motivation.
If you have it, you'll never have to look for it. You can lead a horse to water.........

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I wonder if peer pressure can help her find it.

Reaction Score
I wonder if peer pressure can help her find it.
With Piath gone(-ish?!?), all the bigs around Amari are in the top ten of the hardest-working women in College Basketball.

Combine that with the coaching staff, trainers, conditioning coaches and the practice squad, Amari has all the help necessary to succeed. Now it is up to Amari to flip the switch on self-motivation to become the best she can be every DAY.

I hope she "flips" that switch and "duck tapes" it in the "ON" position with Gorilla tape!

I believe she can do it, and be a trusted, vital piece of the National Championship run this season!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We sure could use Amari’s 6’5” frame, but she has to show up at practice and be motivated to improve her game. I believe she has the potential and she’s a great teammate. Her team really needs her.
Oldude hit the nail on the head with his take on Amari........."Amari has to step up or step aside." You're right. Her team really needs her this year. Geno IS NOT going to coddle or prod her. If she's not ready, he has other options.

Reaction Score
Geno on what he's seeing.

"Auriemma said Amari DeBerry “comes and goes,” and is therefore considered half a player.

“Some days she’s good to go, some days she’s not,” Auriemma said of DeBerry’s frequency working out with the team. When asked about whether the sophomore forward could fill a bigger support role in the post next season, he remarked: “That remains to be seen. I would love to see that happen. Right now, I’m not one way or the other. I am not definitively saying yes I see or no I don’t, I’m just waiting to see more.”

Whether there has been a change I wouldn't know from that. We need to send positive energy this Husky's way and hope for her being a whole player sometime later.

Lots of good stuff in this article. Geno has asked Paige to stay on campus this summer and get stronger. Dorka is doing great and he expects her to go 5 or 6 in the WNBA draft.
Good stuff, yes. But it is not what I would like to hear him saying about Amari. He has said, by way of contrast, that Lou is " everything he expected." We need Amari to be that. Sounds like she is still trying to decide if she wants to give that much.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Anybody remember the things Geno said about Tina Charles her first two years... Look how she turned out...

Auriemma said. "When a lot of kids go to college, they want it to be great right away, they expect it to be great right away. When they don't have that success right away, they are looking for somebody to blame. They are looking for reasons why it didn't happen right away or they are transferring. I think Tina is a great story in that you have to fight through a lot of things to get what you want.

STORRS, Conn. -- When the girl was young, the game was a dalliance. She was all arms and legs and smiles and two-handed set shots, but from one outing to the next it was never quite clear what she would bring to her basketball team.

Auriemma believes Charles could prove to be one of the best -- if not the best -- players he's ever had in his storied program.

"But she needs a push," Auriemma said. "If you left it up to her, she'd take her sweet old time."

Some outside the program might look at Charles and see a seamless, stress-free journey to basketball greatness. But Charles was constantly being pushed and prodded to reach her potential by Auriemma, associate head coach Chris Dailey and the rest of the UConn coaching staff.

"Sometimes you have to go through painful experiences to experience the joy and that is what I am doing now,"

"Anytime I went into office good or bad, but usually bad, I would sit in that chair across from him," said Charles, who received the key to the city of Middletown and had May 20 declared "Tina Charles Day" in Middletown. "I really like the chair. He said I could only get the chair if I become the two-time All-American and the national player of the year. I achieved all of this and just recently I went (to visit). He was talking about a new facility that is supposed to be at UConn and he said you can take that chair but one last thing, you have to be a starter on the Olympic team. Coach Auriemma, he is still continuing the challenge me and that is the best thing about UConn."

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Anybody remember the things Geno said about Tina Charles her first two years... Look how she turned out...

Auriemma said. "When a lot of kids go to college, they want it to be great right away, they expect it to be great right away. When they don't have that success right away, they are looking for somebody to blame. They are looking for reasons why it didn't happen right away or they are transferring. I think Tina is a great story in that you have to fight through a lot of things to get what you want.

STORRS, Conn. -- When the girl was young, the game was a dalliance. She was all arms and legs and smiles and two-handed set shots, but from one outing to the next it was never quite clear what she would bring to her basketball team.

Auriemma believes Charles could prove to be one of the best -- if not the best -- players he's ever had in his storied program.

"But she needs a push," Auriemma said. "If you left it up to her, she'd take her sweet old time."

Some outside the program might look at Charles and see a seamless, stress-free journey to basketball greatness. But Charles was constantly being pushed and prodded to reach her potential by Auriemma, associate head coach Chris Dailey and the rest of the UConn coaching staff.

"Sometimes you have to go through painful experiences to experience the joy and that is what I am doing now,"

"Anytime I went into office good or bad, but usually bad, I would sit in that chair across from him," said Charles, who received the key to the city of Middletown and had May 20 declared "Tina Charles Day" in Middletown. "I really like the chair. He said I could only get the chair if I become the two-time All-American and the national player of the year. I achieved all of this and just recently I went (to visit). He was talking about a new facility that is supposed to be at UConn and he said you can take that chair but one last thing, you have to be a starter on the Olympic team. Coach Auriemma, he is still continuing the challenge me and that is the best thing about UConn."
Not sure Amari is into chairs? May have to update the carrot

Reaction Score
Not sure Amari is into chairs? May have to update the carrot
I am hoping Amari is NOT into chairs, as she spent a lot of time in the CHair Force (bench) during the past season while the games were being decided.

I hope her goal is to spend more than 15 minutes in the game while it is being decided from the exhibition game onward for 2022-2023 season. I also hope she gets some one-on-one time with Tina Charles (conversation and practice time (if possible) to understand her remarkable transition to her current greatness, which could be Amari's future as well.

Being able to learn lessons from others tends to be a less painful journey in the long run...

Reaction Score
The good news is, the injury was to her non shooting hand. So, as long as she can catch the ball, she can shoot it. It may take a little while longer on defense, however.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
True but I ain't giving up on her. I got faith in Amari.
I didn't give up on Kiah Stokes or Olivia Nelson-Ododa, neither of whom (in my opinion) came close to reaching their potential.

If I didn't give up on them, I won’t give up on Amari. The light has to come on at some point for Amari, the question is when. :eek:

Reaction Score
I believe he was talking about attention and effort, but I could be wrong. He has mentioned those areas before about her.
I think you are right. It is about attention and effort. We'll know more in a couple of months, of course. But we all hope Amari finds the motivation to be the best that she can be.

Reaction Score
I didn't give up on Kiah Stokes or Olivia Nelson-Ododa, neither of whom (in my opinion) came close to reaching their potential.

If I didn't give up on them, I won’t give up on Amari. The light has to come on at some point for Amari, the question is when. :eek:
No disrespect. But the fact that " you didn't give up on Kiah or Olivia" had no impact, did it ( neither came close to realizing their potential)? I was a fan of both players as well. And mildly disappointed. But they both did well.

Reaction Score
Geno on what he's seeing.

"Auriemma said Amari DeBerry “comes and goes,” and is therefore considered half a player.

“Some days she’s good to go, some days she’s not,” Auriemma said of DeBerry’s frequency working out with the team. When asked about whether the sophomore forward could fill a bigger support role in the post next season, he remarked: “That remains to be seen. I would love to see that happen. Right now, I’m not one way or the other. I am not definitively saying yes I see or no I don’t, I’m just waiting to see more.”

Whether there has been a change I wouldn't know from that. We need to send positive energy this Husky's way and hope for her being a whole player sometime later.

Lots of good stuff in this article. Geno has asked Paige to stay on campus this summer and get stronger. Dorka is doing great and he expects her to go 5 or 6 in the WNBA draft.
I saw the interview. Geno was positive about nearly every other player, Lou and Dorka got Geno's encouragement. DeBerry, I was less informed after listening than before. If Geno isn't "sending a message", if that be the case, DeBerry isn't going to help the team this year. Dang, she is really needed.

Reaction Score
Here’s the deal. Amari has a tremendous upside. But the clock is ticking. Two freshmen will be on campus this season and they are beasts. Amari has to step up or step aside.
Geno in tone seemed more the latter than the former. I truly hopes she steps up big time. Geno has enough fans seated in the stands.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom