Amari: New Leaf Just Budding? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Amari: New Leaf Just Budding?

Reaction Score
This is the "State of the team" report I've been waiting for. The latest on the physical condition and conditioning of each player. Since Amari is not recovering from an injury, I'm a little concerned about her being perceived as a "half a player." I want to be an Amari fan and supporter, but she hasn't done anything yet to give me a reason to think she has improved or that she will, come November.In

She's been in the program for 12 months now. More than enough time to learn and adapt. The light will come on for her at some point. I'm hoping it's sooner rather than later. UConn needs all that she can bring to the table this season.
In an earlier posting, you mentioned too late to get another "big" and I didn't agree--seems you have a conduit into Geno's thoughts, he said the same thing--he has nothing and sees nothing in the portal that meets his needs/standards. I bow to your observation.

Reaction Score
The situation with DeBerry continues to be baffling. Was a very highly ranked recruit. As others have said above, this season is make or break for her.

Reaction Score
I think that an afternoon visit and workout with Ms. Tina Charles would do wonders for this young lady. Throughout high school, at 6'5", all she had to do was show up, and she was considered "the star". Freshman year at UConn, where most are not relied upon for major minutes, she was not concerned. Now, with the 2 freshmen that we have, only her effort in practice will get her on the court. She needs to change her mindset.

sun

Reaction Score
There's a big difference between blaming Amari's problems on a lack of motivation & effort and blaming them on a lack of skills & talent.
Every player can have weaknesses with their skills because no player is perfect.
A player does their best to fill the needs of the team that they play for, and conversely the team can also try to adapt to the skillset of the player in development.
Maybe when a player is in development there needs to be enough flexibility for the team to adjust to benefit from whatever assets the player can offer.
If a player doesn't perform well enough that doesn't mean that it's the player's fault and someone should be blamed.
That doesn't make any more sense than blaming the UConn staff for recruiting the player in the first place.
We know that UConn tries to recruit the best available players that want to play for UConn.
If some can't perform as well as expected then maybe UConn should have recruited more players, different players or better players.
UConn either wins or loses with the players they have, so it makes more sense to try to work with the players they have and help develop them then to blame it on the player's lack of effort or talent.
Maybe the scouts don't have enough talent to properly assess players, or they trusted someone else to tell them who to make an offer to.
That happens all of the time in the pros.
Some prospects are better than others just like some scouts are better than others.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
The situation with DeBerry continues to be baffling. Was a very highly ranked recruit. As others have said above, this season is make or break for her.
I understand the "make" part plz explain the "break" part, and who decides said part, you or the other coaches?

Reaction Score
I don't find it baffling at all. In a recent interview, she said she wasn't used to playing against kids her size. She showed up in Storrs, and there was Olivia and Dorka and Aaliyah and Piath challenging her in practice. I'm sure that took some getting used to, and may have been a bit intimidating. When she got into games last year, she looked tentative, even a bit timid. If she gets a bit stronger now, she might find working out against Aaliyah, Ayanna, Ice and Dorka a welcome challenge and start developing game toughness. That's the optimistic view.

Reaction Score
Is Piath still in the portal or did someone pick her up? Or did she even enter the portal at all? I can't keep up.

Reaction Score
I don't find it baffling at all. In a recent interview, she said she wasn't used to playing against kids her size. She showed up in Storrs, and there was Olivia and Dorka and Aaliyah and Piath challenging her in practice. I'm sure that took some getting used to, and may have been a bit intimidating. When she got into games last year, she looked tentative, even a bit timid. If she gets a bit stronger now, she might find working out against Aaliyah, Ayanna, Ice and Dorka a welcome challenge and start developing game toughness. That's the optimistic view.
Hope you are right. She was a McDonalds All American, ESPN 15 overall/3 position (5 overall at the time she committed), Prospects Nation #3, and played for Philly Belles which is top level competition, but did all of this not playing against kids her size. IMHO whoever does these rankings should have taken that into account.

Reaction Score
Hope you are right. She was a McDonalds All American, ESPN 15 overall/3 position (5 overall at the time she committed), Prospects Nation #3, and played for Philly Belles which is top level competition, but did all of this not playing against kids her size. IMHO whoever does these rankings should have taken that into account.
She may have meant she hadn't often played against kids her size.

Reaction Score
Well, she’s been banging with the big dogs for a year now.
She must, at least, solidify her position as the #3 big on the team- first sub upfront.
She has some major talent “tailgating” her.
As I’ve stated earlier, the situation will become very clear within the first dozen or so games of season.
JMHO

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I believe Amari will surprise alot of fans this season. We've heard from the practice players she has a good outside shot. We saw her at the top of the key make good passes inside. Shes not a heavy weight but plays well with her back to the basket. This is gonna be a fun season with all the talent UConn has. Hoping no injuries or sick time and we should win it all. The amazin thing last season was we made it to the Finals and were full of injuries.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No disrespect. But the fact that " you didn't give up on Kiah or Olivia" had no impact, did it ( neither came close to realizing their potential)? I was a fan of both players as well. And mildly disappointed. But they both did well.
Of course it had no impact. I’m a fan from afar, not a UConn staff member or a family member. NONE of the thoughts, opinions or concerns any of us boneyarders have has any impact on these players.

Any and all comments posted here are for the consumption of wcbb fans in general, in some cases UConn fans specifically. Some of us have been fans of athletes that for some reason we decide to no longer follow or give up on. No one has ever suggested otherwise.

Stokes averaged 24 ppg as a senior in high school.
In my opinion Nelson-Ododa never came close to her potential. It may be an unfair comparison but Aliyah Boston had a better freshman year and earned more awards than Nelson-Ododa did any of her 4 years.

Wether a player has a good game/season or not is subjective. You see the glass as half full, I may see it as half empty. That does not mean that our respective observations were wrong, just that we see things differently.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
We see height, quickness, leaping ability, shooting ability, etc., all kinds of different things that manifest themselves in front of our eyes, and we evaluate players accordingly.

On the other hand, we are only able to infer or guess what is inside a player`s head, what makes them tick. People are simply wired differently, and it is not always easy to get a read on what is going on there.

But in some cases, it is actually not that hard to figure it out. For example, we know that Paige has ice in her veins. We know that Nika would run through a brick wall to win a game.

In Amari`s case, it is a bit baffling. She looks to be a very good passer and a decent shooter, and the practice players rave about her talent. On the other hand, in the brief minutes she played she didn`t appear to play with a sense of urgency. Geno`s recent comments are also cause for concern in that regard. She also seems like a great teammate and was a terrific supporter of the team down the stretch last season.

Where her "head is at" is a pretty important question ahead of the 2022-2023 season.

The last thing in the world that a UConn WBB coach should need to do is to light a fire under any of the players who are there. Being fortunate enough to have a place in that environment, surrounded by all of the current greatness and the legacy that preceded, should be motivation enough. And we know Geno doesn`t coach effort.

I am really rooting for Amari but I think her individual success, and her ability to contribute to the team`s success, is less dependent upon her considerable basketball skills and more dependent upon her ability to maintain a high energy level and display consistent effort throughout the season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We see height, quickness, leaping ability, shooting ability, etc., all kinds of different things that manifest themselves in front of our eyes, and we evaluate players accordingly.

On the other hand, we are only able to infer or guess what is inside a player`s head, what makes them tick. People are simply wired differently, and it is not always easy to get a read on what is going on there.

But in some cases, it is actually not that hard to figure it out. For example, we know that Paige has ice in her veins. We know that Nika would run through a brick wall to win a game.

In Amari`s case, it is a bit baffling. She looks to be a very good passer and a decent shooter, and the practice players rave about her talent. On the other hand, in the brief minutes she played she didn`t appear to play with a sense of urgency. Geno`s recent comments are also cause for concern in that regard. She also seems like a great teammate and was a terrific supporter of the team down the stretch last season.

Where her "head is at" is a pretty important question ahead of the 2022-2023 season.

The last thing in the world that a UConn WBB coach should need to do is to light a fire under any of the players who are there. Being fortunate enough to have a place in that environment, surrounded by all of the current greatness and the legacy that preceded, should be motivation enough. And we know Geno doesn`t coach effort.

I am really rooting for Amari but I think her individual success, and her ability to contribute to the team`s success, is less dependent upon her considerable basketball skills and more dependent upon her ability to maintain a high energy level and display consistent effort throughout the season.
She better remember a motto Geno brings out each fall: We don't coach effort.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think Amari will ”breakout“ at some point this year. The more she plays, the sooner she settles in and becomes a consistent contributor to our team.
The only person that can stop or slow down Amari is Amari. At 6’5”, Amari has enough size to be dominant. Whether her is or not depends on how much “pit bull” she has or acquires.

Lest we forget, Aliyah Boston (South Carolina) is deemed the best post player in the country. Coincidentally she’s 6’5” also.

A thousand likes to you for this comment!! We don’t know what‘s going on in a player’s head (or how much if any) heart they have. The old saying is very true, and for good reason…..NEVER underestimate the heart of a champion.

Players have various degrees of dog/dawg in them. Some have a small lap dog that some observers might label as “soft.” While other have a raging Pit Bull inside, and play like it all the time.

NaLyssa Smith (Baylor/Indiana Fever) has a pit Bull mentality. She had 26 pts 11 rebs yesterday in a 2 point win over the Chicago Sky. She’s doing the same thing now (and playing just as hard) as she did at Baylor. My kind of player!!!
She’s not intimidated by bigger older players she plays against. She’s playing with no fear and a ton of confidence. THATS what I’m talking about. Go hard or go home.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Amari has shown to have a low motor (not quick/fast) and not very physical during her time at UConn. Those same attributes were very evident at Williamsville South. I never saw her play for the Philly Bells so I have no comment about her play with them. I believe there is a wealth of talent within her, but so far nothing has been successful at bringing it to the fore front. The team will need her to step up and show out if they are to achieve their goals

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Amari has shown to have a low motor (not quick/fast) and not very physical during her time at UConn. Those same attributes were very evident at Williamsville South. I never saw her play for the Philly Bells so I have no comment about her play with them. I believe there is a wealth of talent within her, but so far nothing has been successful at bringing it to the fore front. The team will need her to step up and show out if they are to achieve their goals
Those attributes certainly weren’t evident at Williamsville South during Amari’s senior year in high school because there was no basketball season.

Reaction Score
Those attributes certainly weren’t evident at Williamsville South during Amari’s senior year in high school because there was no basketball season.
I don't think I made reference to any particular year, so I miss the point of your comment. And to be factual, the Billies actually did play 13 games her senior season ('20-'21) .

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't think I made reference to any particular year, so I miss the point of your comment.
Most Bigs take time to develop. Missing her senior year of high school basketball set Amari back significantly. She’s been playing catch-up ever since. She’s had a full year to work with UConn’s coaching staff heading into this season. I am looking forward to Amari stepping up as a contributor this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom