Amari? Did we forget about her? | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Amari? Did we forget about her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

I really hope she has a “breakout” season.

It appears she is still In Geno’s doghouse. Only played about 10 minutes towards the end of game. She needs to get that big body moving. As I recall Tina Charles didn’t blossom into an elite player until her junior year, then she became a monster. Amari has the skill set but does she have the desire?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
To me clearly Amari is a disappointment for 4 glaring reasons. 1) How and when Geno uses her in the offense, 2) Her effectiveness in that offense, 3) Her effectiveness on defense, particularly the defensive glass, 4) Head down hustle down court.

Once again Geno brought her in for what is essentially garbage time. This time against a smallish D2 team. On offense Geno never used her on the block. In fact, whenever Geno brings her in the game, as last year, he limits the type of offense run. In an almost (almost) wheel type offense Geno would use his pistol offense to get Amari up top and place Ayanna on the block. This was to use Amari's passing and shooting skills. Amari though is the biggest person on the floor, and it seems Geno still doesn't trust her skills on the low block. Just as last year when he'd place Amari up top and Piath down low. It was my hope that Amari would finally learn how to use her girth and strength, at least against smaller opponents, but that doesn't seem to be the case. We still don't know if Amari has a decent drop step off either shoulder. Amari did make some nice passes, as last year from the elbow yesterday. Amari also missed her only shot attempt from just outside the elbow. She has yet to show if she can back an opponent down from the foul line and put the ball on the rim consistently. She has yet to show she can roll with authority to the hoop and finish. She has yet to show she can mount effective screens. She has yet to show how she deals with weak side help. She has yet to show if she can move the ball effectively out of the slot. She has yet to show how she handle a hard pocket pass. She has yet to show how she handles passes in the lane in transition.

On defense she again showed little ability to use her body effectively to box out and get rebounds, and she hasn't shown even a passing ability to read the ball off the rim. She has yet to show whether she can body an opponent up and deny them their spot. She has yet to show if she can use her body to move someone off their spot. She has yet to show if she can be an effective shot blocker. She has yet to show how she handles switches off her mark.

Four is self explanatory.

For someone with so many evident skills Amari has shown little evidence of using them. I was very hopeful that Amari would make a sophomore leap this year, and I still am. Amari needs to assert herself in all aspects on the floor. I have some long standing theories about and her doghouse residency that I won't say here. Nevertheless Amari is still real young, and it's a long season. Sooner rather than later her contributions will be necessary and hopefully she'll step to the table and really dig in.

Reaction Score
To me clearly Amari is a disappointment for 4 glaring reasons. 1) How and when Geno uses her in the offense, 2) Her effectiveness in that offense, 3) Her effectiveness on defense, particularly the defensive glass, 4) Head down hustle down court.

Once again Geno brought her in for what is essentially garbage time. This time against a smallish D2 team. On offense Geno never used her on the block. In fact, whenever Geno brings her in the game, as last year, he limits the type of offense run. In an almost (almost) wheel type offense Geno would use his pistol offense to get Amari up top and place Ayanna on the block. This was to use Amari's passing and shooting skills. Amari though is the biggest person on the floor, and it seems Geno still doesn't trust her skills on the low block. Just as last year when he'd place Amari up top and Piath down low. It was my hope that Amari would finally learn how to use her girth and strength, at least against smaller opponents, but that doesn't seem to be the case. We still don't know if Amari has a decent drop step off either shoulder. Amari did make some nice passes, as last year from the elbow yesterday. Amari also missed her only shot attempt from just outside the elbow. She has yet to show if she can back an opponent down from the foul line and put the ball on the rim consistently. She has yet to show she can roll with authority to the hoop and finish. She has yet to show she can mount effective screens. She has yet to show how she deals with weak side help. She has yet to show if she can move the ball effectively out of the slot. She has yet to show how she handle a hard pocket pass. She has yet to show how she handles passes in the lane in transition.

On defense she again showed little ability to use her body effectively to box out and get rebounds, and she hasn't shown even a passing ability to read the ball off the rim. She has yet to show whether she can body an opponent up and deny them their spot. She has yet to show if she can use her body to move someone off their spot. She has yet to show if she can be an effective shot blocker. She has yet to show how she handles switches off her mark.

Four is self explanatory.

For someone with so many evident skills Amari has shown little evidence of using them. I was very hopeful that Amari would make a sophomore leap this year, and I still am. Amari needs to assert herself in all aspects on the floor. I have some long standing theories about and her doghouse residency that I won't say here. Nevertheless Amari is still real young, and it's a long season. Sooner rather than later her contributions will be necessary and hopefully she'll step to the table and really dig in.
All good points. A lot of people have overestimated her abilities. Some of the skills you list are ones that Brady and Patterson don't have yet either but they were/are developing them week by week. If DeBerry had made any progress on them over a season plus a summer, she'd be rotating with the other 3 bigs right now. Her lack of development in HS is water under the bridge, this is now and it's decision time for her on what her UConn career is going to be. I don't think Auriemma is going to wait around too long for her to make it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was unable to watch yesterday.
My question is :
Is it impossible (whatever the talent level) to turn an in shape SIX FOOT FIVE INCH athlete into a feared defensive force?
Just the basics of stance, positioning, movement and attitude?
I’m reading the commentary but not understanding.
Must say, disappointed and concerned with what I’m reading.
A link to the replay is in the post tacked to the top of the board

Reaction Score
As I stated when she first committed to UConn. Amari was going to be a project player. So far the project is failing for whatever reason. I have never been on the bandwagon about her being overly talented and skilled, but I was hoping that she would show improvement while at Storrs. She has time to rectify things, but I've not seen anything that leads me to believe she will be a major contributor moving forward this season.

As an example, (as stated in another thread), her "running" down the court reminds me of Steph Dolson as a freshman, slow and labored. We all know how Steph turned out, but Amari is now a Sophomore and she has shown nothing to lead one to believe that she will be anywhere near as successful as Steph.

Reaction Score
I’ll admit I’m no talent scout, but when she committed I remember watching a highlight video and thinking she moved relatively slowly. To my eye, it appears that she might lack either the athleticism or killer mentality to play at the college level.

It appears she has good instincts passing the ball, and we hear she has a nice shooting touch. But without the physical tools, those skills can’t shine. I’m not sure what the solution is, but I hope she can figure it out. We’re going to be very thin in the front court next season.

I’m not surprised by what I saw yesterday. It’s normal to expect a sophomore jump, but from players who demonstrated flashes as a freshman. I can’t recall a player ever going from virtually zero playing time as a freshman to a major contributor. It’s perplexing and nobody knows how it will play out.

Reaction Score
It appears she is still In Geno’s doghouse. Only played about 10 minutes towards the end of game. She needs to get that big body moving. As I recall Tina Charles didn’t blossom into an elite player until her junior year, then she became a monster. Amari has the skill set but does she have the desire?
Just because she didn’t play significant minutes does not mean she is in “Geno’s Dog House”. it just means she is number 10 or 11 on the depth chart. It’s up to her to improve and make the coach have to play her.

Reaction Score
Remember fans Tina Charles was sleep-walking her first 2 years (if I remember correctly) and midway through her junior year she saw the light!
And had AA credentials when she graduated! And look at the career Tina has had!
Give Amari some time, the light WILL go on!

Reaction Score
Huskie02- -Great minds think alike!

Reaction Score
I’m optimistic that Amari will pick things up eventually, but this is hardly a good comparison. Before being “elite”, Tina averaged almost a double-double in each of her first two seasons and was the Big East ROY.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Remember fans Tina Charles was sleep-walking her first 2 years (if I remember correctly) and midway through her junior year she saw the light!
I'm not sure you are remember correctly. Tina Charles was a day 1 starter and recorded 10 rebounds in her first UCONN game. In her second game she recorded 5 blocks, 17 Rebounds and 18 points. At the start of Tina's sophomore year she had two notable games to start the season agains #4 Stanford (13 Points, 11 Rebounds) and # 9 Duke. (13 Points, 8 Rebounds). If Tina was sleep-walking during her first two years then Amari must be -comatose?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sleepwalk? Uh, no.

2006-07 SEASON
Appeared in 36 games while making 32 starts...named as the USBWA National Freshman of the Year and the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year...ranked second on the team with 12.7 ppg...notched double-figure points in 23 games, including five 20-point plus scoring efforts...tallied a UConn freshman record 11 double-doubles...her team-best 81 blocks broke the UConn freshman record and ranks as the seventh highest total in the program[apos]s history...led team with 8.2 rebounds, which ranked seventh-best among BIG EAST Conference leaders...ranked second among BIG EAST leaders with team-best .590 field goal percentage...average of 2.25 blocks per game ranked third among conference leaders...shattered UConn freshman record with 296 rebounds....34 points at South Florida (2/20) marked the largest total ever by a UConn freshman... honored as the only freshman in the nation selected to the 52-member Kodak All-District...All-BIG EAST Second Team and All-Freshman Team selection... also was named as a Associated Press Honorable Mention All-America... name BIG EAST Freshman of the Week six times...spent the summer prior to the season playing for the USA U-18 National Team which won a gold medal at the 2006 FIBA Americas Under-18 Championship for Women...tallied 17 points on 8-of-13 shooting in NCAA Regional Semifinal win over N.C. State (3/24)...scored 22 points while shooting 9-for-11 with four blocks in the second round of the NCAA Tournament vs. UW-Green Bay (3/20)...dropped in 10 points and seven rebounds in the first round of the NCAA Tournament vs. UMBC (3/18)...averaged 11.7 points with eight blocks in the BIG EAST Tournament...recorded double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds in BIG EAST quarterfinal win over South Florida (3/4)...named BIG EAST Freshman of the Week for the sixth time on Feb. 25 after averaging a double-double with 20.7 points and 11.0 rebounds in a 3-0 week...recorded 10th double-double of the season with 21 points and 13 rebounds vs. Villanova (2/24)...put together ninth double-double of the season with 34 points and 17 rebounds at USF (2/20) - marking the highest single- season scoring total by a UConn player since Diana Taurasi scored 35 vs. TCU on March 25, 2003...also marked the highest single-game scoring total every by a UConn freshman...recorded 16 points with nine rebounds against Pittsburgh (2/17)... had 17 points and nine rebounds at LSU (2/11)...scored 15 points with 10 rebounds vs. Rutgers (2/6)... had 20 points and 14 rebounds against Marquette (2/3)...recorded nine blocks tying a school record and breaking the BIG EAST freshman record against Notre Dame (1/27)...also finished with 12 points and 10 rebounds against the Fighting Irish, coming just one block shy of becoming only the second UConn player since Laura Lishness to put together a triple-double...earned BIG EAST Freshman of the Week honors for second straight week on Jan. 22 after averaging 16.5 points on 70.6 percent shooting in wins over Providence (1/17) and St. John[apos]s (1/21)...dropped 18 points in only 18 minutes at Providence (1/17)...named BIG EAST Freshman of the Week on Jan. 15 after averaging 17.0 points, 15.5 rebounds and 3.5 blocks in UConn[apos]s 2-0 week that included wins over Seton Hall and Syracuse...brought down a career-high 19 rebounds with 14 points for a second straight double-double vs. Syracuse (1/13)...her 19 rebounds vs. Syracuse were the most by a UConn player since Swin Cash pulled down 20 on February 20, 2001 vs. West Virginia...recorded her third double-double in four games with 20 points and 12 rebounds vs. Seton Hall (1/9)...tallied 13 points and 12 rebounds at West Virginia (1/2)...named BIG EAST Freshman of the Week on Dec. 25 after averaging 12.0 points while shooting .654 (17-of-26) from the field in wins over Virginia (12/18), Colorado State (12/21) and Oakland (12/23)...tallied 18 points and 17 rebounds in her second collegiate game vs. Colgate (11/16), becoming the fastest player in UConn history to post a double-double since Ann Strother did it in the first game of her freshman season in 2002-03...saw first collegiate action and scored first career points with five points along with 10 rebounds in season opener vs. Richmond (11/13).

Reaction Score
Just watched the Ktown game.
Saw many good things from those from which I expected.
Nika has upped her game
Azzi is ready to go
Dorka is ready also
Aaliyah won’t need 6-8 games to warm up like last year.
AND—
LOU is dynamite
AMARI-showed me a lot. Good screens, looking to distribute the ball . Very happy.
INEZ- will be a contributor-slick behind the back pass (on the money), belongs, not shaken by the big stage.
AUBREY- she’s back- looks 100% healthy, aggressive and ready to go.
GAME TIME!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She's 25% because...she was shooting from the outside last year taking 3 pointers. In this particular game I'm not talking about double teams in the post, but at the foul line distributing area. She's not the only post player that wasn't decisive with the ball. Aaliyah stood out to me as making the best reads. She's also a threat to score from the foul area and Amari isn't (hence 25% shooting). Try someone else to distribute from that area and post Amari. Here's what I'm suggesting. Move her closer to the basket on both ends. She actually had a couple of good seals in the post and they didn't get her the ball. Why? I don't know.

And yes, POST payers have to contest perimeter shots, BUT, she's a true center. Patterson and Aaliyah are post players, but they are more mobile. I just don't envision Lauren Bettes, Cameron Brink, Elizabeth Kitley, Tamari Key, Ayoka Lee, etc. to play in a defensive scheme that asks them to close out on 3 point shooters as a staple of a defense. Of course, it may be required at times. I wouldn't say her play was poor and I definitely think she will be needed against bigger teams.
That is actually a good/great idea. If Amari can't get it done let's try someone else. You excuse making is confounding -Amari is playing for UCONN if you want to put limitations on her and compare her to other players that's fine but riddle me this- What "true center" that has played for UCONN was not capable of doing the things that is being asked of Amari?

Reaction Score
I believe they say it takes longer for "Bigs" to develop and get use to the Speed and physical play in the College game. Amari, while having some physical gifts that are obvious, appears to be missing a very important trait that athletes need to excel. DESIRE to play and Win! If she had 1/4 of Nika's drive and determination she'd be doing more then warming the bench for 35 mins a game. After saying this ,I really do hope something "Clicks" and she learns and becomes close to what expectations are for her. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening based on what she's shown......

Reaction Score
I’m optimistic that Amari will pick things up eventually, but this is hardly a good comparison. Before being “elite”, Tina averaged almost a double-double in each of her first two seasons and was the Big East ROY.
Also

Honorable Mention A/A her frosh year.
3rd Team A/A her soph year.

Reaction Score
the only way she gets better at this point is if she plays.............if Dorka gets in foul trouble or hurt they're going to need her.........she's gotta be allowed to get some confidence out there.........Ducharme looked like a deer in the headlights when she started playing but you saw what happened when she got real minutes......not saying Deberry is going to make a huge turn around, but I see no reason she can't play a complimentary role on the team.....
I don't agree with this at all. You play your best players. That’s what you should do within reason. UCONN got to FF with Edwards as the backup Center as a frosh, and as the backup C when Dorka got benched for a bit in NCAA tourney and then when she got hurt. So it’s within reason of not needing Amari. Playing her to allow her confidence is fine if that is yoru goal. Well if so – then give her end-of-game-minutes to build her confidence. Why should her other teammates be punished because Amari needs to be treated differently because she is so fragile if what you say is true?

For a player like Amari the NCAA is a crapshoot. There is no way no way anyone can guarantee she is going to play well in any game in the NCAA's just because you baby her during the season because she might be so fragile.

Players like Edwards and Ducharme that don’t need to be babied at all come to UCONN in part because they know Geno will reward them if they are good enough and not be so tied down with babying another player while they know they are “better.” They know for example that Geno "will play" a SF like Ducharme at multiple positions such as PF if he feels Ducharme is better. The same with Edwards at Center. Ducharme and Edwards deserve better.

Reaction Score
For the record, I'm still fine with Amari - it is so early. This was just an ealry exhibition game I sort of always saw her as a Stokes but while Amari shows more on the offensive skills side Stokes was the opposite. Gave nothing on offense but her overall level of play picked up gradually as an upperclassman. Frankly, her sr year she was a defensive dynamo,. I think that can be Amari but as a gradual on the O-Side. By the way - I loved Stokes her senior year. Loved her!!!!!!

With that said I’m not “as disappointed” as many on here because I’m not into bigs as much as many are on here. Heck, on here a thread was created and asked a question who are the two most important players you feel UCONN needs and I said Azzi and Lou. I think Eric from LI and eebmg also said the same. I’m sure others. These are perimeter players so it's how I look at things. SO my expectations for Amari weren’t as high. I’m hopeful for a Stokes type of slow improvement. OFC I’d love to see a ton better.

I feel UCONN’s best chances are always to play your best-- within reason ofc. Can’t have 5 5’10 guards. So I'm fine with her only playing at end of games already decided until she starts to show more. Don't baby her by worrying so much about her confidence and then hope and pray she will produce in the NCAA's when that is a crapshoot. unless you are elite. .

sun

Reaction Score
For the record, I'm still fine with Amari - it is so early. This was just an ealry exhibition game I sort of always saw her as a Stokes but while Amari shows more on the offensive skills side Stokes was the opposite. Gave nothing on offense but her overall level of play picked up gradually as an upperclassman. Frankly, her sr year she was a defensive dynamo,. I think that can be Amari but as a gradual on the O-Side. By the way - I loved Stokes her senior year. Loved her!!!!!!

With that said I’m not “as disappointed” as many on here because I’m not into bigs as much as many are on here. Heck, on here a thread was created and asked a question who are the two most important players you feel UCONN needs and I said Azzi and Lou. I think Eric from LI and eebmg also said the same. I’m sure others. These are perimeter players so it's how I look at things. SO my expectations for Amari weren’t as high. I’m hopeful for a Stokes type of slow improvement. OFC I’d love to see a ton better.

I feel UCONN’s best chances are always to play your best-- within reason ofc. Can’t have 5 5’10 guards. So I'm fine with her only playing at end of games already decided until she starts to show more. Don't baby her by worrying so much about her confidence and then hope and pray she will produce in the NCAA's when that is a crapshoot. unless you are elite. .
In the NC game, DeBerry came in with 3:22 left in the 2nd quarter.
UConn was behind by 11 points.
DeBerry missed a shot.
Henderson missed a shot.
Ducharme made a shot and UConn was down by 9 points.
Beal missed a shot in the paint.
Rivers missed a shot.
Westbrook made a shot and UConn was down by 7 points.
Henderson made a shot and UConn was down by 9 points.
Bueckers made a shot and UConn was down by 7 points.
Mulh subbed in for Westbrook with 0:54 seconds.
Missed shot by Boston.
Foul by Ducharme.
Good FT by Rivers and UConn was down by 8.
0:22 Missed FT by Rivers.
RB by Ducharme.
0:03 Foul by DeBerry
0:03 Turnover by DeBerry
Missed jumper by Amihere.
End of half.

After DeBerry entered the game, the UConn deficit was reduced from 11 points to 8 points at the end of the half.

This is why Geno makes the big bucks. because it's his job to decide who plays & when.
DeBerry played and it wasn't garbage time, it was a NC.
Geno made his decisions and all we know is that Scar's lead was reduced while DeBerry was playing.

In the Kutztown game, DeBerry came in with UConn leading by 59 points.
She played 10 minutes until the game was over and UConn won by 73 points.
That was Geno's decision because that's his job.
We're fans, we watch the game, we root for the team and hope for the best.

Somehow DeBerry must have earned some PT or else Geno wouldn't have let her play.
No use crying over spilt milk, just grin & bear it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32