Amari DeBerry Update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Amari DeBerry Update

Reaction Score
I liked the way she received a pass, held it high and went up without even one dribble.

Reaction Score
Seems like a great passer. Lots of assists. My only critique, after she passes, whether she is 2 feet from the basket or 12, so stands there after the pass. Maybe she just knows "I made such a perfect pass she can't miss", but I think she needs to be moving into position for a rebound if there is one. Part of the learning curve we are talking about. But what a great passer for a HS junior post. She looked like Dolson as a junior or senior in college.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Seems like a great passer. Lots of assists. My only critique, after she passes, whether she is 2 feet from the basket or 12, so stands there after the pass. Maybe she just knows "I made such a perfect pass she can't miss", but I think she needs to be moving into position for a rebound if there is one. Part of the learning curve we are talking about. But what a great passer for a HS junior post. She looked like Dolson as a junior or senior in college.
IDK! Stephanie Dolson?
This Stephanie Dolson?
1589199156570.png

Reaction Score
I am so excited for the classes we have coming in for the next few years. As far as whether they play for a 5a or 2a school I think that Geno and the staff have the ability to recognize Division One talent. And when Geno takes them in before their senior year, that's the exclamation point point on their ability.

Reaction Score
Just follow the monthly recruiting threads. The BY recruiting super-sleuths usually update that thread with anything and everything to do with any UConn commits, as well as any potential commits.

There are just way too many posts in the monthly recruiting thread to possibly follow. Get lost trying to keep up....

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
There are just way too many posts in the monthly recruiting thread to possibly follow. Get lost trying to keep up....

Not sure how that happens. Posts are marked as read so when you click on the thread it should take you to the first, newest post that you haven't viewed. You can read the thread in order at your leisure.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am so excited for the classes we have coming in for the next few years. As far as whether they play for a 5a or 2a school I think that Geno and the staff have the ability to recognize Division One talent. And when Geno takes them in before their senior year, that's the exclamation point point on their ability.
Not really. A couple notable exceptions are Courtney Ekmark and Andra Espinosa-Hunter.

Reaction Score
Talk about high expectations... comparing an HS junior who was playing with a bunch of much smaller kids to a Uconn All American who was playing against some pretty tough competition, and in other thread declaring her the best post passer since Bill Walton. I (and probably Amari) would be delighted if she turns out to be as good as Dolson was by her junior year at Uconn.

Reaction Score
Talk about high expectations... comparing an HS junior who was playing with a bunch of much smaller kids to a Uconn All American who was playing against some pretty tough competition, and in other thread declaring her the best post passer since Bill Walton. I (and probably Amari) would be delighted if she turns out to be as good as Dolson was by her junior year at Uconn.
I'm pretty sure the post comparing Amari to Bill Walton was a send up. A joke, meant to poke fun at the high expectations suddenly being placed on her. The poster was making the same point you are, but in a light-hearted way.

Reaction Score
Ok I was the one who commented on how good of a passer she is and the reason I said that is because she is. I put zero expectations on her other than making the comment that bigs who can pass out of the double at the high post are extremely dangerous. Having said that, I also do think she’s a significantly better looking prospect than Dolson was at the same age and has the potential to be a better player (yes than the college All-American). To me she has a more impressive skill set than Dolson had and I could care less about rankings but she’s also much higher regarded. I have no idea how she pans out but those are my personal expectations based on how I see their relative abilities at similar ages.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ok I was the one who commented on how good of a passer she is and the reason I said that is because she is. I put zero expectations on her other than making the comment that bigs who can pass out of the double at the high post are extremely dangerous. Having said that, I also do think she’s a significantly better looking prospect than Dolson was at the same age and has the potential to be a better player (yes than the college All-American). To me she has a more impressive skill set than Dolson had and I could care less about rankings but she’s also much higher regarded. I have no idea how she pans out but those are my personal expectations based on how I see their relative abilities at similar ages.
The prior comment was comparing HS Junior Amari to Junior & Senior UCONN Dolson which was an outlandish comparison. Your comparison of "at the same age and potentially" is much more realistic. Having seen both player live at a similar age I'd disagree mainly because of the body type. Amari's game currently even the passing is mostly finesse. Dolson even as a HS and AAU player owned the block and the pain and would occasionally wander to the perimeter to set high ball screen and attempt the 3 ball. As A UCONN Junior & Senior Dolson did all of that as well as facilitated the UCONN offense from the high post that is what makes the comparison outlandish.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The prior comment was comparing HS Junior Amari to Junior & Senior UCONN Dolson which was an outlandish comparison. Your comparison of "at the same age and potentially" is much more realistic. Having seen both player live at a similar age I'd disagree mainly because of the body type. Amari's game currently even the passing is mostly finesse. Dolson even as a HS and AAU player owned the block and the pain and would occasionally wander to the perimeter to set high ball screen and attempt the 3 ball. As A UCONN Junior & Senior Dolson did all of that as well as facilitated the UCONN offense from the high post that is what makes the comparison outlandish.
That’s fair agree to disagree. Personally I don’t know how anyone could possibly think Stef Dolson was more highly regarded recruit but to each their own. You make the argument that Dolson’s skill set was more impressive because of her size but by all accounts her size was actually a major detriment to her overall effectiveness until she managed to get in better shape after her freshman or sophomore (I think) year at UCONN. Anyway I respect your opinion and time will tell but there’s one thing that seems to get lost in the shuffle with DeBerry. She has been a consensus top 5 overall recruit and either a #1 or #2 post....this is not some long shot reach project Geno is taking everyone wanted her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom