Amari DeBerry Update | The Boneyard

Amari DeBerry Update

Reaction Score
Has anyone have any updates on how Amari DeBerry is doing in her Junior Year in High School so far?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Has anyone have any updates on how Amari DeBerry is doing in her Junior Year in High School so far?
Daily updates and stats are posted in the recruiting thread. She is doing very well.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just follow the monthly recruiting threads. The BY recruiting super-sleuths usually update that thread with anything and everything to do with any UConn commits, as well as any potential commits.

Reaction Score
Daily updates and stats are posted in the recruiting thread. She is doing very well.
Coco, what recruiting thread are you referring to? I only have Hoopgurlz to refer to.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Williamsville South's Amari DeBerry is Buffalo News Player of the Year

Although she missed two games because of injury, she finished with averages of 21.0 points, 10.2 rebounds, 4.8 blocks and 3.6 assists to help Williamsville South post a 20-3 record.

DeBerry’s stats during the playoffs were more impressive. In South’s final three games, she averaged 24.7 points, 14.0 rebounds and 6.0 blocks per game. She altered countless other shots by serving as an intimidating presence in the paint since she’s usually the tallest player on the court.

In addition to impressive statistics, DeBerry displayed the passing skills and basketball IQ that made her and the Billies’ offense tough to defend.

Reaction Score
While I applaud Amari for her accolades and awards, the truth is that the competition level in WNY leagues is relatively weak. I have no idea of her AAU competition. The learning curve for Amari will be significant and steep. All the tools are there, so the future looks bright for her (and UConn).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I applaud Amari for her accolades and awards, the truth is that the competition level in WNY leagues is relatively weak. I have no idea of her AAU competition. The learning curve for Amari will be significant and steep. All the tools are there, so the future looks bright for her (and UConn).
Amari earned a gold medal playing for the USA U16 team in 2019. I think she’ll be OK at UConn.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
So earning one of the 12 spots for the USA U16 team is also considered relatively weak? I think you may need to rethink your prognoses on her.

Reaction Score
You are correct, she was part of a team that won gold. Her stat line of 5.3 pts/game shooting 38% and 3.2 rebounds/game with 12 TO's and 6 assists indicates that she has some work to do.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You are correct, she was part of a team that won gold. Her stat line of 5.3 pts/game shooting 38% and 3.2 rebounds/game indicates that she has some work to do.
Really? Being one of the top 12 players in the nation on a team where everyone gets PT is a tremendous achievement. I’m sure Amari can get better, but she’s pretty damned good right now.

Reaction Score
No one said it wasn't an achievement, and no way am I trying to demean her. Just stating that her learning curve at Uconn will be significant. So yes she's "pretty damn" good but not UConn level good as of now.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No one said it wasn't an achievement, and no way am I trying to demean her. Just stating that her learning curve at Uconn will be significant. So yes she's "pretty damn" good but not UConn level good as of now.
Are there any HS juniors that are UConn level good as of now?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Amari plays AAU basketball for the Philly Belles. Her AAU coaches are top notch especially the post instructors. Her Belles coaches praise her as hard working and a quick learner. @Tonyc know her Belles instructors. The Belles play on the EYBL Nike circuit. The EYBL is still at the top of AAU basketball but Adidas and Under Armour are closing the gap. Amari has also spent at least part of her last two summers at USA basketball where the instruction and competition are also top not for those players lucky enough to be invited. BTW this would have been Amari's last season playing AAU ball so her growth will have to come through HS and private training.

Reaction Score

Other than maybe Fudd is there a class of 21 recruit who IS ready to step in and play a significant role at UConn? Or how about a list of all the rising HS seniors in the last 10 years that were at a UConn level after their third year of HS? Stewart? Maya? Bueckers? I'll agree that DeBerry isn't at their level but who is, or has been? Especially for a 6'5" player who is just getting used to their size.
I think Geno once said that Moore was the only recruit who was at the level you are looking for in a recruit. The rest had a 'significant' learning curve.

Reaction Score
No need to state the obvious. Anyone with a bit of basketball sense would know the learning curve will be steep. Even obvious statement will get rebuttals in the boneyard. I’ve even read statements during games like “ we need to score more baskets” “we need to stop turning the ball over” Thanks Capt Obvious

Reaction Score
No need to state the obvious. Anyone with a bit of basketball sense would know the learning curve will be steep. Even obvious statement will get rebuttals in the boneyard. I’ve even read statements during games like “ we need to score more baskets” “we need to stop turning the ball over” Thanks Capt Obvious
You forgot "we need a big"..my favorite.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom