Am I the only person? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Am I the only person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For years before UConn WBB hit the headlines--the BRAKETTES --were the ONLY and best Men or womens team in Connecticut. If you lived in Connecticut--even in a cave--you knew who they were---and they were great. Many Boys, Girls, Men,Women in Ct knew their stats--they were that big..

Yup. I just was too over the poster to point out what a big deal the Brakettes were. Thanks Joanny use to make Major League legendary hitters look foolish and the Brakettes, not just Joan, put womens' sports in the spotlight.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
So your saying that whatever school stewie went to would have won 4 straight NCs? I bet you were the same one saying Griner was going to win 4 straight NCs and how did that work out? We are going to see how great geno is this year with no AAs and i will bet anyone that at worst they make it to the final 4 if not the NC game.

The last time UConn made a Final Four without an All-American on the team was never. Even in 1991, UConn had an All-American in Kerry Bascom.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A bridge too far was a fiasco --by an egocentric general--I keep saying the final 4 is more than possible---but if the worst happens and Uconn fails to get that far--unlike the BRIDGE TOO FAR--it will be because the Talent wasn't ready--in Arnhiem the best of the best top leader failed to accept pre game intelligence --disaster

I very well know the story of Market Garden
The expression I noted has come into standard use
The beauty of the language is that such expressions need not be taken exactly literally.
I suspect you understood my point

As noted above, by Wally, the lack of All-Americans generally precludes final-4's

Of course by that time, we might have 2 or 3...:)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
possibly 2 2017 All-Americans in the photo below, who cares what these voters think... its up to you to think of them as All-Americans
UCONN-WBB-4-players.jpg

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
4 of 4 All-Americans in this photo... dont sell these guys short, KLS was possibly a All-Tourney player before the foot injury
650x366

Reaction Score
I very well know the story of Market Garden
The expression I noted has come into standard use
The beauty of the language is that such expressions need not be taken exactly literally.
I suspect you understood my point

As noted above, by Wally, the lack of All-Americans generally precludes final-4's

Of course by that time, we might have 2 or 3...:)

I never heard that phrase used in a basketball sense prior to this--but////???
The point was--Market Garden/A bridge too far--was top troops poorly led at the top.
Geno will be leading this group of elite Uconn players--big difference.
As far as not having AA's going into the final 4--2 points; 1. Who says coming out of the FF/NC Uconn won't have one/2/3 2. Never say never--saying that is usually wrong when considering human behavior.
(it's nice you know the whole story of Market Garden--historians are always interesting)

Reaction Score
possibly 2 2017 All-Americans in the photo below, who cares what these voters think... its up to you to think of them as All-Americans
UCONN-WBB-4-players.jpg

You nailed it ---again! Personally, I don't much care what the WBB world thinks of Gabby, Katie Lou, Napheesa Collier, Kia or Crystal---Chong-Butler, or that some one anoints them All Americans--My TEAM is always the BEST. AA's is a nice honor for our top women.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You nailed it ---again! Personally, I don't much care what the WBB world thinks of Gabby, Katie Lou, Napheesa Collier, Kia or Crystal---Chong-Butler, or that some one anoints them All Americans--My TEAM is always the BEST. AA's is a nice honor for our top women.
As Geno has said - when an honor is based on a vote, it loses a lot of meaning - he'll take the honors that are earned on the court any day.

On 'a bridge to far' - the phrase has lost almost all its association to an actual historical event or the facts associated with that event. It is now commonly used for any goal that is set that is over-ambitious and unlikely to be met or was not achieved. It does not connote blame on either the leaders of the effort or those who made the effort, but rather recognizes that however valiant the attempt it was an unrealistic objective.
That there are some who can still recall the actual history is nice, but it doesn't actually change its modern usage.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents. Firsr of all, even if she can skip high school and join wnba right away like LeBron James did, there is still not much need to have a press as it does not really translate into market/economy benefit. To me it is pretty much a reflection of self-absorption and ego, which it might not be 100% bad thing, but mostly bad for a young person. However it might reflect who their parents are as a 16,17 YO girl is very much prone to the influence from her parents. Coaches might hope that can win the wrestling match w her parents once she steps away from home and starts to live in the dorm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom