Am I the only person? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Am I the only person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She is a kid having fun with her recruitment. If Geno had a problem with her and the way she should sign her National LOI, he wouldn't still be recruiting her. It's a social media era with lots of self promotion. Hell, I do it on a regular basis myself. I want Walker badly as I think she will help our team immensely and keep us very relevant in the P5 conference era. These people that "don't want her" are lying and it's helping them soften the blow if she chooses Texas or Notre Dame.
Geno does not beg kids to choose uconn as he could care less. Uconn works with the kids he has and the ones that do come to uconn. If you think that uconn can't win without her, you know nothing about wcbb. I don't lie so when i say i don't want her at uconn its the truth. I never wanted Turner or wilson and look how that turned out so far!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Geno does not beg kids to choose uconn as he could care less. Uconn works with the kids he has and the ones that do come to uconn. If you think that uconn can't win without her, you know nothing about wcbb. I don't lie so when i say i don't want her at uconn its the truth. I never wanted Turner or wilson and look how that turned out so far!
Geno who do you want?

Reaction Score
No you don't. Everyone on this forum wants her to choose UConn. If someone says they hope she goes elsewhere, they are lying.

She is a kid having fun with her recruitment. If Geno had a problem with her and the way she should sign her National LOI, he wouldn't still be recruiting her. It's a social media era with lots of self promotion. Hell, I do it on a regular basis myself. I want Walker badly as I think she will help our team immensely and keep us very relevant in the P5 conference era. These people that "don't want her" are lying and it's helping them soften the blow if she chooses Texas or Notre Dame.

Uh, sorry - you're wrong. She seems, to me, to be self-absorbed, and I don't much care for people like that. I know I'm very much in the minority on this, but I really do not want her to choose UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm going to treat "your version" of the truth like the virus that it is, inoculate myself and hope that you don't infect others. Geno will be the first to tell you that he cannot win without good players. Megan Walker is a good player. Turner & Wilson were also good players-THAT GENO ALSO WANTED TO COME TO UCONN.

Reaction Score
This is easy to say when you have Stewie for 4 years

Reaction Score
If MW is really marketing savvy she can compare the 125K views on the other thread to similar threads on the ND & Texas boards and get an idea of the relative exposure she'll get playing for the different schools.
UConn is the center of the college basketball universe. If she doesn't know that by now, then she's not a very smart person. Even the latest ESPN commercial commemorating the Cubs world series victory managed to get UConn in there:

Reaction Score
This is easy to say when you have Stewie for 4 years
So your saying that whatever school stewie went to would have won 4 straight NCs? I bet you were the same one saying Griner was going to win 4 straight NCs and how did that work out? We are going to see how great geno is this year with no AAs and i will bet anyone that at worst they make it to the final 4 if not the NC game.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
So your saying that whatever school stewie went to would have won 4 straight NCs? I bet you were the same one saying Griner was going to win 4 straight NCs and how did that work out? We are going to see how great geno is this year with no AAs and i will bet anyone that at worst they make it to the final 4 if not the NC game.

Perhaps, a bridge too far, even for the great one.

Reaction Score

He won't ever beg and he certainly wants team oriented players but if you think that he doesn't care about recruiting the best players out there I think you are a bit naive...........UConn wouldn't be UConn without great talent and great coaching....................

Reaction Score
Never said any of this. I do not follow any recruiting for any sport. Too many people get wrapped up in the recruiting and have no idea what it is all about. It is a waste of time. Geno has said this many times that fans have no clue.

Reaction Score
I hope she doesn't choose uconn. I feel the way geno does, he would rather have the recruits that sign their letter on intent on the hood of a car then have a press conference. Sounds to me like she is full of herself and there is no I in team at uconn. Im sure geno knows he can win national championships without her just like he did without aja wilson and EDD.

Geno knows he can win without her--he also knows if he has her it MAy be easier to win. I doubt Geno cares how , when, where, why she signs--he's been through this over and over many times--not much new in recruiting/recruits Geno has not seen. At some point in the Recruiting process--Geno said to himself and the staff--We can work with this kid--or not.
The only ones with any anxiety are people like me--people who lost the patience gene.

Reaction Score
Never said any of this. I do not follow any recruiting for any sport. Too many people get wrapped up in the recruiting and have no idea what it is all about. It is a waste of time. Geno has said this many times that fans have no clue.

And with that statement--Geno is only partially right. Geno is HUMAN--makes more than his share of mistakes about people, events, and even basketball--just because GENO SAYS IT-does not make it true!! (I know these word will haunt me, but they are true). Geno over the years has had a LOVE-HATE relationship with UConn WBB fans. I would seem at times his expectations of fans --exceeded their capacity to show up when he thought they should. Geno gets emotional --sometimes emotions over take reason. Like the time he loudly announced to a crowd on the Hartford Capitol steps--we will win another NC next year.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm not obsessed by winning!
As I've stated several times before, at the start of each season my only hope/desire is that everyone on the roster stays healthy! No sicknesses (like mono), injuries (like ACL), etc bad enough to miss practice and game action!
Then let the chips fall where they may...........
I figure if everyone does remain healthy, great things will be possible, such as: Conference Championships (regular season and tournament), Sweet 16, Elite 8, Final Four, National Champions.
And individually, All-Conference recognition, All-American selections, & high WNBA Draft selections.
There's nothing worse than having Players out for significant time and the team falling short of their goals.
Like when Svet & Shea were injured and missed the end of the 2001 season Tournaments and we wind up losing to ND in the FF semi's. Having 2 senior Leaders, Captains, All-Americans, and great players, out took away a legit chance of a National Championship!
Having to say, "What could have been", SUCKS BIG TIME!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I hope she doesn't choose uconn. I feel the way geno does, he would rather have the recruits that sign their letter on intent on the hood of a car then have a press conference. Sounds to me like she is full of herself and there is no I in team at uconn. Im sure geno knows he can win national championships without her just like he did without aja wilson and EDD.
I hope she does choose UCONN, if only so you "I don't want her here", "her ego is too big" (like it would be bigger than Geno's anyway) people can go suck it.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm not obsessed by winning!
As I've stated several times before, at the start of each season my only hope/desire is that everyone on the roster stays healthy! No sicknesses (like mono), injuries (like ACL), etc bad enough to miss practice and game action!
Then let the chips fall where they may......
I figure if everyone does remain healthy, great things will be possible, such as: Conference Championships (regular season and tournament), Sweet 16, Elite 8, Final Four, National Champions.
And individually, All-Conference recognition, All-American selections, & high WNBA Draft selections.
There's nothing worse than having Players out for significant time and the team falling short of their goals.
Like when Svet & Shea were injured and missed the end of the 2001 season Tournaments and we wind up losing to ND in the FF semi's. Having 2 senior Leaders, Captains, All-Americans, and great players, out took away a legit chance of a National Championship!
Having to say, "What could have been", SUCKS BIG TIME!

WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN SUCKS, BIG TIME---TRUE, TRUE, TRUE!!!
I don't know if I'm obsessed with winning--I like it--but going into each game knowing Uconn shall win by 30--takes away the mystery. I don't think--I thought when Uconn played ND, DePaul, USC, or even Florida Bulls (I can't tell on US F or SFU or FUS one from the other)--that it was NOT a given UConn even with Stewie would win.
If given the choice, I'd win. Will I follow UConn WBB from game one to game end of year--you know I shall.

Reaction Score
I don't think the post implied that Stewie would have won 4 NC's anywhere else--but that is an interesting food for thought!!
If Stewie went to Po-dunk U orND or Baylor or that other team--there is a high degree of probability that she would have won --1,2, maybe 3. Maybe none. We don't know cuz she choose Geno. Now think if Morgan or Moriah or Both went to those other teams--NC's//??? Probably but Stewie with out Morgan or Moriah--maybe none. Certainly not 4. Stewie was great as was Morgan and Moriah alone each was great--together they were amazing.

Reaction Score
and Moriah for 3
If you are taking a year away from Moriah---i'm taking 6 months from Stewie- Morgan 3 months.
I had 4 years with Moriah--from the moment when Mulkey said--aw, crap Jefferson is going to Uconn I knew she was what she was--others say what she became--Moriah was great the day she was born.
I feel the same way about Crystal Dangerfield--.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Perhaps you can get some of your sports fan angst out by supporting a Connecticut team with a far gaudier history than the Huskies, Bulls, Yankees or you name it.

The current and 7-time-repeat Women's Major Softball National Champions -- the Stratford (nee Raybestos) Brakettes

Link to a summary of their star-studded history.

If you like winning, they're your team. The current (22 years) manager had a record of 1.150-115 or 90.9% thru 2014.

I grew up maybe 8 miles from Stratford and never heard of them. Are they on TV? Does ESPN cover them? Are there daily articles on their successes and wins?

Very doubtful, and you can't be a fanatic without any way of being able to support and get enthused by a team.
So congrats to the softball women of Stratford (really impressive stats) but if you are suggesting the CT sports faithful start trying to support a team like these women you are just kidding yourself. It doesn't really work like that, and it never really will. There needs to be pride and the fact that we have a flagship state university that is academically sound (top 20 in the country) and has tremendous sports teams (champion field hockey, soccer, polo, and a slew of other NCAA titles OUTSIDE of basketball) it makes sports fans around the state want to support more and more and more.

So no, we will not get our "angst" out on an amatueur softball team out of a tiny coastal town 99 percent of people never even heard of. We are very comfortable supporting our HUSKIES.

I'm not sure how old you are but if you can ever remember the Hartford Whalers and the impact they had on this state you can easily see how the UCONN teams picked right up where the Whalers left off. One glorious team passes the reign to another glorious team. Without any kind of pro team in our state it's only natural for our sports fans to be devout UCONN followers.

And I would expect no less

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I grew up maybe 8 miles from Stratford and never heard of them. Are they on TV? Does ESPN cover them? Are there daily articles on their successes and wins?

Very doubtful, and you can't be a fanatic without any way of being able to support and get enthused by a team.
So congrats to the softball women of Stratford (really impressive stats) but if you are suggesting the CT sports faithful start trying to support a team like these women you are just kidding yourself. It doesn't really work like that, and it never really will. There needs to be pride and the fact that we have a flagship state university that is academically sound (top 20 in the country) and has tremendous sports teams (champion field hockey, soccer, polo, and a slew of other NCAA titles OUTSIDE of basketball) it makes sports fans around the state want to support more and more and more.

So no, we will not get our "angst" out on an amatueur softball team out of a tiny coastal town 99 percent of people never even heard of. We are very comfortable supporting our HUSKIES.

I'm not sure how old you are but if you can ever remember the Hartford Whalers and the impact they had on this state you can easily see how the UCONN teams picked right up where the Whalers left off. One glorious team passes the reign to another glorious team. Without any kind of pro team in our state it's only natural for our sports fans to be devout UCONN followers.

And I would expect no less

You are so way off on your denigration of the Brakettes, so why not take a little 2 minute tour to educate you about the greatest multisport athlete to every come out of Connecticut. Joan Joyce. In 11 Halls of Fame.

I guarantee you'd never hit a ball off her. She considered her best game Basketball. 2 decades in the LPGA. The Brakettes define dominance in sport.

For a fuller education:

Women's sports owes a lot to the Brakettes and Joanny Joyce.

Last edited:

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
You are so way off on your denigration of the Brakettes, so why not take a little 2 minute tour to educate you about the greatest multisport athlete to every come out of Connecticut. Joan Joyce. In 11 Halls of Fame.

I guarantee you'd never hit a ball off her. She considered her best game Basketball. 2 decades in the LPGA. The Brakettes define dominance in sport.

For a fuller education:

I never denigrated them at all! in fact I said their stats were quite impressive! get a second read of what I said.

I think you misunderstood my comment, as I was simply defending the faithful fans here in CT that are PROUD to support a team like UCONN and that without any outlets to appreciate any other team in the state you will not find 100K people at a parade for a softball team out of tiny old Stratford, nor will you find any other team having that kind of following. it just won't happen.

So I never ever ever implied that these ladies from Stratford don't deserve credit for what they did and continue to do. I called them impressive bc I actually took the time to look them up after they were mentioned as I never heard about them, nor has probably the majority of the state.

Please don't put words in my mouth that I never said nor implied.

You also have to remember HUSKY Nation started back with Lobo in 94/95 so this culture that are the fans here in Connecticut are going on 2+ decades.

That's dominance

Reaction Score
I hope she does choose UCONN, if only so you "I don't want her here", "her ego is too big" (like it would be bigger than Geno's anyway) people can go suck it.
Pure Meyers7---ever ytime I read this comment --I giggle--funny!!

Reaction Score

For a fuller education:

For years before UConn WBB hit the headlines--the BRAKETTES --were the ONLY and best Men or womens team in Connecticut. If you lived in Connecticut--even in a cave--you knew who they were---and they were great. Many Boys, Girls, Men,Women in Ct knew their stats--they were that big..

Reaction Score
Perhaps, a bridge too far, even for the great one.
A bridge too far was a fiasco --by an egocentric general--I keep saying the final 4 is more than possible---but if the worst happens and Uconn fails to get that far--unlike the BRIDGE TOO FAR--it will be because the Talent wasn't ready--in Arnhiem the best of the best top leader failed to accept pre game intelligence --disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom