am I the only one that really doesn't worry about recruits? | The Boneyard

am I the only one that really doesn't worry about recruits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I simply trust the staff, we win and we win consistently with whoever we seem to land.

Before the 10/11 season, this board was ablaze about all the recruits we missed out on, JC said he loved the class, they went on the win the NC.

Some of our best classes were busts on the court.

Our only two kids that would have been lottery picks out of high school won a total of 2 games in 3 seasons in the BET, although Rudy did make it to the Elite 8. No titles to be found

We rarely have one of the best classes in the country, yet we're leaders with kids in the NBA

KO will continue this tradition, relax and enjoy the ride.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I simply trust the staff, we win and we win consistently with whoever we seem to land.

Before the 10/11 season, this board was ablaze about all the recruits we missed out on, JC said he loved the class, they went on the win the NC.

Our only two kids that would have been lottery picks out of high school never won a game in the BET, although Rudy did make it to the Elite 8.

We rarely have one of the best classes in the country, yet we're leaders with kids in the NBA

You appear to be the only one!:)

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I don't care much. Well, I guess I care but I don't follow it very closely. I read the threads about who were recruiting but can't fathom ever checking twitter or anything like that.

Reaction Score
I don't care much. Well, I guess I care but I don't follow it very closely. I read the threads about who were recruiting but can't fathom ever checking twitter or anything like that.

I wish I could say the same..

Reaction Score
I don't care about it. We've won championships with less.

With that being said, it's nice to have better recruits but on the flip side of the coin, I'd dread having the season Kentucky had last year even with all those 5* recruits.

Reaction Score
You're one of very few. Recruiting is the life blood of the program.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I don't care about it. We've won championships with less.

With that being said, it's nice to have better recruits but on the flip side of the coin, I'd dread having the season Kentucky had last year even with all those 5* recruits.

I don't want what UK has, I don't want a bunch of one and done players. It doesn't even feel as if they were here, there's no watching their growth and development, it's just not the same.

I love watching kids like Kemba & Bazz & Brown & Okafor & MSG & Moore & Caron, & RayRay & Rip & on & on & on morph into something special

Reaction Score
Worried? Hmphh...........I'm too cool to become desperate.

I freeze ice twice, can pull ice cubes out of hell and use the A/C for heat. Oh and my ten toes are bronzed.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
You're one of very few. Recruiting is the life blood of the program.
But worrying about it isn't. That's why they pay Ollie and the crew the big $$$.

Reaction Score
I don't want what UK has, I don't want a bunch of one and done players. It doesn't even feel as if they were here, there's no watching their growth and development, it's just not the same.

I love watching kids like Kemba & Bazz & Brown & Okafor & MSG & Moore & Caron, & RayRay & Rip & on & on & on morph into something special

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we got most of those players when our primary targets went elsewhere ....

Reaction Score

I'm with you. Hi. Not you. [To quote myself.]

I have a general sense of who the top guys are in a given class, although not much of one any more. I read the threads but don't get particularly bent out of shape if they lose a guy because it seems like there just aren't that many "can't miss" kids, and inevitably one of the kids who ends up destroying college basketball was a nobody in high school (Trey Burke, for example).

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Honestly I watch and read the recruiting threads to watch people going nuts over 17 year old kids. I get a kick out of your collective angst. Only recruit I ever cared about before they committed was Andre.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Count me in as well, I'll follow, see what's what on here, but ultimately the game is played on the court, and although UConn has sported a "blue blood status" for some years now, we always stay relevant due to our progress in practice & preparation rather than relying on recruiting. IMO that separates us from any other program and something I take pride in.

Heck look at 06, that team was built on recruiting rather than the latter, didn't work out so well for us, let's stick to what we do best!

Reaction Score
Why is recruiting so feverish this year? Because of the AAC and the new coach.

It wasn't this bad in 2010. In that year, the class was way worse than what UConn is going to have this year, but the level of anxiety was not this great. People like Andre LaFleur were heavily crtiticized though for not pulling their weight on the recruiting trail.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Why is recruiting so feverish this year? Because of the AAC and the new coach.

It wasn't this bad in 2010. In that year, the class was way worse than what UConn is going to have this year, but the level of anxiety was not this great. People like Andre LaFleur were heavily crtiticized though for not pulling their weight on the recruiting trail.
I'm guessing it is more human nature. Once Purvis and DHam announced, expectations which were originally low went through the roof. That coupled with programs that are not UNC, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky or Duke taking away recruits in head to heads really caused a crash in hopes.

Also the forum has some excellent posters such as 3, caw, aceboon, tcf giving us immediate updates on the pulse of things. It adds to the manic perception!

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Why is recruiting so feverish this year?
Because of this:
Because of the AAC and the new coach.
and this:
I'm guessing it is more human nature. Once Purvis and DHam announced, expectations which were originally low went through the roof. That coupled with programs that are not UNC, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky or Duke taking away recruits in head to heads really caused a crash in hopes.

At the end of the day we always do more with "less". KO is a Calhoun disciple. The course is still set for awesomeness.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Our only two kids that would have been lottery picks out of high school won a total of 2 games in 3 seasons in the BET, although Rudy did make it to the Elite 8. No titles to be found

I'm with you, but then wind up reading the threads, wondering why. I think following these kids on Twitter is a little creepy, not because it's a little stalkerish, but because they are kids, and to boot kids who we have no idea whether they will be any good or not. I think it's funny when people say stuff suggesting the reason why we lose recruits is because they or their "advisers" got some money or that there is no reasonable explanation for a kid to go to a "lesser" program. I guess we are the only clean program in the world (absent a Nate Miles or two) and kids who come here always have advisers who they have to ignore in order to choose us. Or maybe they are the only ones with clean advisers. We know way, way too much about who's being recruited, and nothing at all in substance about what is really happening out of our sight. Decades ago, we had no idea who the school was recruiting (there was recruiting in the Dark Ages) and none of those kids had "camps" of advisers other than parents and the hs coach.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I don't give two hooeys about recruiting really.
I don't give two hooeys about recruiting either. I give three whoies as in who ee u gonna play for!

Reaction Score
I'm with you, but then wind up reading the threads, wondering why. I think following these kids on Twitter is a little creepy, not because it's a little stalkerish, but because they are kids, and to boot kids who we have no idea whether they will be any good or not. I think it's funny when people say stuff suggesting the reason why we lose recruits is because they or their "advisers" got some money or that there is no reasonable explanation for a kid to go to a "lesser" program. I guess we are the only clean program in the world (absent a Nate Miles or two) and kids who come here always have advisers who they have to ignore in order to choose us. Or maybe they are the only ones with clean advisers. We know way, way too much about who's being recruited, and nothing at all in substance about what is really happening out of our sight. Decades ago, we had no idea who the school was recruiting (there was recruiting in the Dark Ages) and none of those kids had "camps" of advisers other than parents and the hs coach.

It's the comments by the coach that lead us to wonder. I put it out there. Why would the Phase1 guy say that he hopes Kasongo finalizes a verbal to Oregon tonight? Makes no sense. If he had Kasongo's interests in mind, he'd hope that Kasongo would choose the school that had his best interests in mind, which made him feel comfortable.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It's the comments by the coach that lead us to wonder. I put it out there. Why would the Phase1 guy say that he hopes Kasongo finalizes a verbal to Oregon tonight? Makes no sense. If he had Kasongo's interests in mind, he'd hope that Kasongo would choose the school that had his best interests in mind, which made him feel comfortable.

I know what you're saying, but ultimately it makes no difference, as to the why. Ideally, the kid sits in a room with the recruiters who attract him, then sits with his coach and parents or whomever he wants. They try not to exert too much influence, just making points to consider, and the kid makes the choice. There would be no rating services or related over-reporting of every blink of an eye from the recruit. For better and probably worse, we all know recruiting and commitment these days is of full of too much garbage. The kids are treated as if they are entitled from too young an age, not to mention that at least some of them have to be overwhelmed by not only the recruiters, but the different voices giving them advice. They are kids. They do dumb things because teens do dumb things. Adults do dumb things, but teens have a better excuse.

Reaction Score
To say following an athlete on twitter is creepy/stalker ish is archaic. Welcome to the age of information, the only way to have found out kasongo wasn't commited was through twitter. That being said, for me this stuff is just fodder until the season starts. as a board collectively well have other things to discuss, recruiting will fall back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom