Am I a hall of famer? (Active players only) | The Boneyard

Am I a hall of famer? (Active players only)

Reaction Score
After the passing of a legit hall of famer (RIP Larry Allen)
I got to thinking about current players, across the major sports, who are as "on the fence" as you can get.

Here are my 3 (I don't really know hockey)
1. Giancarlo Stanton
2. Russell Wilson
3. Al Horford

Are these guys hall of famers???
(In my opinion, only Russ will make it)

You can respond to mine, or post some "on the fencers" of your own. Try to keep it to active players, just for ease of process.

Reaction Score
I got to thinking about current players, across the major sports, who are as "on the fence" as you can get.

1. Giancarlo Stanton
2. Russell Wilson
3. Al Horford

You can respond to mine, or post some "on the fencers" of your own. Try to keep it to active players, just for ease of process.
Dan Hurley.
(Sorry but I had to do it)

Reaction Score
by the end of this postseason…Horford will be 14th in all time playoff games and 21st in playoff minutes. 5 time all star, 2 time national champion. Potential nba champion, 1 all nba 3rd team, 1 all nba defensive 2nd team.

Damn good resume and feels hof

Reaction Score
Stanton won't sniff the HOF, probably drops off first ballot. Agree on Horford being a lock since it's not just NBA

Off the top of my head:

MLB - Chris Sale
NHL - Erik Karlsson
NBA - John Wall
NFL - Mike Evans

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Just had this conversation about Stanton with a friend a couple weeks ago. Doubt he makes it barring a resurgence in the next couple years. Lost too many games when he was a top tier power hitter (probably 2+ seasons worth), and is not aging well. Pretty much average hitting since he turned 32 plus no longer playing in the field, so he's not doing much to help his case at this point.

He was a pretty iconic power hitter in his prime and I do think he would have made it if he was healthy throughout his 20s, but them's the breaks.

Reaction Score
Stanton won't sniff the HOF, probably drops off first ballot. Agree on Horford being a lock since it's not just NBA

Off the top of my head:

MLB - Chris Sale
NHL - Erik Karlsson
NBA - John Wall
NFL - Mike Evans
That's a really good list. I think John Wall has a good case stat wise, but it's one of those weird things where his inclusion wouldn't seem justified.
A few years ago there is no way I'm keeping Sale out of the hall, but after a rough past few years, he loses ground.
Mike Evans without the ring, I say no, but with the Brady factor it makes him more attractive. I still say no.

Reaction Score
My "on the fence" Hall of Famers:

Baseball:
1. Mike Trout: Started off historically, but injuries have really slowed him down. I think he makes it because he was the best player for a 3-5 year period. Lack of any postseason success hurts him though.
2. Freddie Freeman: Consistently excellent player, but never the best player. Seems to be getting better with age (he's 34). Playing with the other great players on the Dodgers will help him. I'm confident he makes the HOF.
3. Jacob deGrom: As a Mets fan, I think he makes it based on his pure dominance for a 2-3 year period. A bit of a Sandy Koufax scenario (where he shined so bright for a short time), but the overall statistics may hurt his resume.

Basketball:
1. Paul George: Overall career is really really good. Was also an excellent defensive player. Lack of postseason success does hurt.
2. Draymond Green: Obviously his statistics aren't impressive and his on-court indiscretions are a factor too, but he has multiple championships, and was/is an excellent defensive player.
3. DeMar Derozan: Immediately his name doesn't strike me as a HOF player, but when looking at his career, it's quite excellent. He's so consistent and reliable (not many injuries). If John Wall is a borderline HOF'er, then I think Derozan should be talked about.

Football: Is such a hard sport to evaluate, as it isn't as stat oriented (compared to the other major sports)

Reaction Score
I say yes on trout, freeman and Paul George. Though i think degrom is likely.
Derozan just doesn't seem likely to me.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Trourt would love to see him stay healthy for once and see his stats in a injury free season. He's had some real bad luck.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score

Baseball:
1. Mike Trout: Started off historically, but injuries have really slowed him down. I think he makes it because he was the best player for a 3-5 year period. Lack of any postseason success hurts him though.
2. Freddie Freeman: Consistently excellent player, but never the best player. Seems to be getting better with age (he's 34). Playing with the other great players on the Dodgers will help him. I'm confident he makes the HOF.
3. Jacob deGrom: As a Mets fan, I think he makes it based on his pure dominance for a 2-3 year period. A bit of a Sandy Koufax scenario (where he shined so bright for a short time), but the overall statistical numbers may hurt his resume.
Trout had one of the best 8.5 year stretches (including 2020) the game has ever seen. Injuries and lack of postseason opportunities/success will end up keeping him out of any conversations of top careers of all time, but he is very clearly a no doubt Hall of Famer and I can't believe anyone would even suggest it's a conversation lol.

I think Freeman will/should make it pretty easily if he has one or two more good years (and would probably make it even if he retired after this year). He's got an MVP (feel free to discount it for being 2020) and finished top 10 7 additional times, has the overall stats to fit in well enough, plus good postseason stats for those voters who put a lot of weight in that.

deGrom isthe most interesting conversation of this generation of players. Koufax being in the Hall is the obvious comparison. He was dominant to an extent that you're lucky to see up close in your lifetime, and it was purely injuries that stopped him. As a Mets fan of course I hope he makes it, but I can see both sides of the argument. If by some miracle he manages to get healthy and have a good 2025 that would help him a ton.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

1. Giancarlo Stanton
2. Russell Wilson
3. Al Horford

1. No
2. Maybe
3. No

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Baseball:
3. Jacob deGrom: As a Mets fan, I think he makes it based on his pure dominance for a 2-3 year period. A bit of a Sandy Koufax scenario (where he shined so bright for a short time), but the overall statistics may hurt his resume.

Basketball:
1. Paul George: Overall career is really really good. Was also an excellent defensive player. Lack of postseason success does hurt.
2. Draymond Green: Obviously his statistics aren't impressive and his on-court indiscretions are a factor too, but he has multiple championships, and was/is an excellent defensive player.
3. DeMar Derozan: Immediately his name doesn't strike me as a HOF player, but when looking at his career, it's quite excellent. He's so consistent and reliable (not many injuries). If John Wall is a borderline HOF'er, then I think Derozan should be talked about.

Football: Is such a hard sport to evaluate, as it isn't as stat oriented (compared to the other major sports)

My responses:

Mike Trout is a lock. I don't think he belongs in this thread, tbh.

I think Freeman needs to pad the stats for a couple more seasons. You're right, even though he broke into the majors young, he's played his best ball in his 30s. So he probably can.

DeGrom - no. He's won 84 games and only pitched in 215. Koufax won nearly twice as many (165). Koufax was also an MVP and 4x WS champ. He didn't make the Mets until he was 26 and now he's 35. He was incredible for a few years but he just flamed out too quickly.

George and DeRozen are right there. I'd probably say yes to both. Green to me was a valuable contributor on the GS title teams but I would never vote for him for the HOF and that has nothing to do with his personality or behavioral issues. He's very good. Not a HOFer.

Reaction Score

Off the top of my head:

MLB - Chris Sale
NHL - Erik Karlsson
NBA - John Wall
NFL - Mike Evans
If Stanton gets to 500 hrs, he has a very real shot at getting in. Only player who has hit 500 hr and not made it is Sheffield - but he had steroid suspicion clouding his candidacy - among other character issues. Only question here is whether Stanton will stay healthy enough to get to 500. He's at 416 currently.

Reaction Score
Paul George is a lock imo. 9x All Tar, 6 All NBA, plus was an absolute beast defender at his best.

Reaction Score

Off the top of my head:

MLB - Chris Sale
NHL - Erik Karlsson
NBA - John Wall
NFL - Mike Evans
Chris Sale would need to have a heck of an end of career (a-la Verlander) to get in. He sits at about 49 WAR and average HoF pitcher is 73. He's basically done nothing since 2019 - his prime years. He's been poor in the playoffs, which wont help. Maybe he can thrive for 5 years in Atlanta - NL and warm weather. But, I think the last 5 years of injuries and malcontent in Boston will cost him the HoF.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom