Alterique Gilbert Is Back On The Court, Ready To Restart His UConn Career | The Boneyard

Alterique Gilbert Is Back On The Court, Ready To Restart His UConn Career

Reaction Score
Didn't see this posted anywhere so figured I'd give it its own thread.

“I’m back 100 percent,” Gilbert said, after practice Saturday morning at the Werth Family Center. “Full contact, getting into a rhythm and building chemistry with my teammates. It’s just about being smart, playing the game the right way, making the right reads. But I feel totally confident in myself, in my arm and my teammates are helping me. They’re giving me that extra boost.”

Alterique Gilbert Is Back On The Court, Ready To Restart His UConn Career

Reaction Score
Great to see AG back in action. I'd caution, though, that this kid will be a learning PG. As a senior at Miller Grove, he was not the starting PG, his coach preferring to exploit his offensive skills at SG. He would often end up running the team late in games, but he was always the team's first offensive option, not primarily a facilitator. AG is not a "pure point guard" as some think, and this was clear in the three games he played last year. KO has a large job ahead in melding JA and AG as a tandem. That said, I have enough faith in JA's talent and AG's smarts to think they will find a way to make it work.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
AG is not a "pure point guard" as some think, and this was clear in the three games he played last year. KO has a large job ahead in melding JA and AG as a tandem.

I don't think it's gonna be as hard as you think. I mean, JA is not a pure PG either. The offense can start and go through either guy at any time. So you basically pick your poison if you're the opposition. It also allows some rest, which JA badly needed last year. End of the day, it's about chemistry on the court, and it looks those guys get along real well, which can only help. jmo tho

Reaction Score
Great to see AG back in action. I'd caution, though, that this kid will be a learning PG. As a senior at Miller Grove, he was not the starting PG, his coach preferring to exploit his offensive skills at SG. He would often end up running the team late in games, but he was always the team's first offensive option, not primarily a facilitator. AG is not a "pure point guard" as some think, and this was clear in the three games he played last year. KO has a large job ahead in melding JA and AG as a tandem. That said, I have enough faith in JA's talent and AG's smarts to think they will find a way to make it work.

They're both point/lead guards that can score you're overanalyzing by saying they're not "pure point guards" and KO has "a large job ahead" they'll be fine

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
They're both point/lead guards that can score you're overanalyzing by saying they're not "pure point guards" and KO has "a large job ahead" they'll be fine
Right. It’ll be more like Bazz and Boat. Bazz runs it but Boat is the release valve who can also run the team and take over if need be

Reaction Score
I'm not concerned with handles or penetrating and kicking out or dishing to a slasher for a dunk or layup. I'm hoping we can see some back door cuts for alley oops. With our athleticism we should be getting a fair amount of these. AG and Jalen have to be able to connect on those passes and develop that chemistry whoever is receiving those passes. Everything else I feel like they can handle.

Reaction Score

Gilbert is a point. Miller Grove had another point who Gilbert would let bring the ball up but whenever he wanted it he brought it up. Offense ran through him he made the plays.

I'm almost positive he ran the show exclusively for CP3 who was the best team on the EYBL. Ended up losing in semi finals.

On the list of things I'm worried about how JA and AG work together is way down the list. Basically a 100 things in our front court more concerning then that.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Very excited about AG but I think every UC fan will be like Coach and we will all be cringing throughout the season. I must say he doesn't look like a High School kid anymore though. He definitely was in Carlos's cross hairs for some period of time!

Reaction Score
Was with someone this weekend who is around the team and coaches a lot and he said on the condition of anonymity that the coaches even though they aren't saying it they are quietly concerned about AG shoulder. That doesn't mean his shoulder isn't healed but shoulders are very finicky body part. He went on to say he thinks AG will have a great season

Take it for what it's worth

Reaction Score
Gilbert is a point. Miller Grove had another point who Gilbert would let bring the ball up but whenever he wanted it he brought it up. Offense ran through him he made the plays.

I'm almost positive he ran the show exclusively for CP3 who was the best team on the EYBL. Ended up losing in semi finals.

On the list of things I'm worried about how JA and AG work together is way down the list. Basically a 100 things in our front court more concerning then that.
Can't forget we have CV coming off the bench to help out back there... He's a little better than we're giving him credit for IMO... He got thrown into the fire last season and showed well... He's definitely gotten better as well... not to mention the PG transfer from Fordham... I'm not worried about our backcourt one bit...

Reaction Score
I'm excited to watch this back court develop around Jalen Adams. There's certainly potential to be one of the best in the country. It's going to seem like a gift to finally see a true PG handle the ball and have Jalen off ball.

Reaction Score
Was with someone this weekend who is around the team and coaches a lot and he said on the condition of anonymity that the coaches even though they aren't saying it they are quietly concerned about AG shoulder. That doesn't mean his shoulder isn't healed but shoulders are very finicky body part. He went on to say he thinks AG will have a great season

Take it for what it's worth
They better be concerned. His recent history would make any rational person concerned. All we really can do is hope for the best.

Reaction Score
I am reminded of a quote from Kevin Ollie early last year, preseason. He shook his head from side to side and simply stated, "You cannot stay in front of him," referring to Alterique's exceptional basketball dribbling prowess combined with his body english, change of speed, footwork and IQ. To me it seems like such a worthy compliment from one player to another. This is going to be an exciting year. Go Huskies!

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I went to public school(Career in New Haven) and I was very loud on the court. I just wasnt any good lol

Haha I was going to say, around me that usually indicates a terrible player, but I understood the sentiment!

Edit: I'm mostly kidding about that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom