Alterique Gilbert Is Back On The Court, Ready To Restart His UConn Career | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alterique Gilbert Is Back On The Court, Ready To Restart His UConn Career

Reaction Score
Seeing it rained Sunday and Monday - not a very good decision - wasn't it......
1. Did you mean "was it"?
2. Did it rain everywhere on the planet on Sunday and Monday, or do we Boneyarders metaphysically occupy the same point in the space-time continuum based on our Internet commonality?
:)

Reaction Score
Projecting the top 50 freshmen scorers of 2017-18

SI's projected Top 50 freshman scorers, including redshirts. No Gilbert. Everyone after #21 is projected to score less than 10ppg. More bulletin board material

I have to believe that he wasn't eligible because that's the only plausible explanation. He's different from other guys like Spellman because he actually played games last year. Isn't he technically a sophomore even though for all intents and purposes he's a freshman?

Reaction Score
I have to believe that he wasn't eligible because that's the only plausible explanation. He's different from other guys like Spellman because he actually played games last year. Isn't he technically a sophomore even though for all intents and purposes he's a freshman?
Pretty sure he is a redshirt freshman due to the injury. He reclassed fairly early post season. I think he wanted all his years so he would have better choices instead of just having one season burned up.

Reaction Score
I'm excited to watch this back court develop around Jalen Adams. There's certainly potential to be one of the best in the country. It's going to seem like a gift to finally see a true PG handle the ball and have Jalen off ball.

The gift that keeps on giving. Taking Jalen off the ball for a majority of time for Alterique to run the show is a recipe for disaster. Jalen is not Jeremy Lamb, he is a point guard who can score, but he needs the ball in his hands a majority of the time to be effective. There is no way that ratio should ever be less than 80/20 in favor of Jalen for this year.

Rique needs to model his game after Boatright for us to have a good season that we are capable of. That's his role not lead facilitator of the team. CV is more ready and his game is more suitable for that role. Vital should start with Rique coming off the bench to start the year.

Reaction Score
I'm excited to watch this back court develop around Jalen Adams. There's certainly potential to be one of the best in the country. It's going to seem like a gift to finally see a true PG handle the ball and have Jalen off ball.
I don't understand how folks watched the kind of passes Jalen delivered last year and think moving him off the ball is the best option. I definitely like the idea of him being freed up for stretches where he can just go off like he did in Maui, but Jalen is a PG, I can't even imagine what kind of assist numbers he could have put up with decent talent around him.

Reaction Score

I don't think AG is eligible. The SI guys that wrote the article said that their predictions performed better than kenpom, espn and cbs, but that 2017-18 Projections - T-Rank - College Basketball Rankings had the most accurate predictions out of everyone. That website has their own freshman projections for the top 531 Freshmen (includes Polley, Carlton, Diarra), but doesn't include AG. I'm assuming the games he played last year made him ineligible for these lists.

For the curious, here are barttorvik's freshman projections:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The gift that keeps on giving. Taking Jalen off the ball for a majority of time for Alterique to run the show is a recipe for disaster. Jalen is not Jeremy Lamb, he is a point guard who can score, but he needs the ball in his hands a majority of the time to be effective. There is no way that ratio should ever be less than 80/20 in favor of Jalen for this year.

Rique needs to model his game after Boatright for us to have a good season that we are capable of. That's his role not lead facilitator of the team. CV is more ready and his game is more suitable for that role. Vital should start with Rique coming off the bench to start the year.

But how do you really feel?

Reaction Score
Pretty sure he is a redshirt freshman due to the injury. He reclassed fairly early post season. I think he wanted all his years so he would have better choices instead of just having one season burned up.

Generally speaking, don't players request a waiver when they reach a point where they wouldn't have eligibility left without it? From the NCAA's perspective, he was going to be eligible this year no matter what.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Seeing it rained Sunday and Monday - not a very good decision - wasn't it......
I've never understood this logic. So you leave your car dirty because it will get wet in the next week?

pj

Reaction Score
I've never understood this logic. So you leave your car dirty because it will get wet in the next week?

If you could skip a shower by running naked in the rain, wouldn't you do it?

CL82

Reaction Score
If you could skip a shower by running naked in the rain, wouldn't you do it?
3b57dfb5497e574f90f36258fc4c245a.jpg

Just sayin. :eek:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You mean people go to the car wash to get their cars cleaned. I thought it was to get a handle on CR!

Reaction Score
Earlier this year you derided anyone who suggested that Gilbert would be the starter insisting Vital was the obvious choice. Now that it is clear Gilbert is the starter at the point you suggest that is a recipe for disaster. I am just thankful that Ollie understands the proper roles for these two dynamic guards and that you are not the coach.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Rain leaves your car streaky and ruins the look of the wash.

CL82

Reaction Score
Rain leaves your car streaky and ruins the look of the wash.
Not so much, but what's the worst case scenario? You wash it again?

I know that I'm in the minority here. I just didn't, and still don't, get the thought process.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Not so much, but what's the worst case scenario? You wash it again?

I know that I'm in the minority here. I just didn't, and still don't, get the thought process.

I just think that is the prevailing logic. Not that rain would've washed it for free.

But I agree that bit is the most minor of gripes to have seeped into the culture.

CL82

Reaction Score
I just think that is the prevailing logic. Not that rain would've washed it for free.

But I agree that bit is the most minor of gripes to have seeped into the culture.
Lol, hey thanks for having a serious conversation on the pros/cons of washing a car before a rainstorm. This has to be one the more boring thread hijacks out there.

To everyone else... sorry?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom