Alterique Gilbert Appreciation Thread | The Boneyard

Alterique Gilbert Appreciation Thread

Reaction Score
Vital stole the show, but AG made his presence felt. He was not going out at home like a punk. No player here has faced what he faced. His dreams were pretty much rerouted, postponed and then set back (placed on the bench).

AG was maligned by a lot of us, including me, until I remembered he's technically a sophomore playing with only 1+ years of experience. I also apologize to him for my unkind observations about his game (especially in chats).

If Gaff and Adams can really look at AG's journey and mirror his grit, persistence and determination our future is certainly bright. I have never seen a HS star benched in his Senior Year to a freshman. Furthermore I have never see any star handle a benching like AG and still lead and cheer his team. No matter what he always tried his best, and it showed especially defensively.

I appreciate how he didn't pout, complain or say a bad word about his coach. I appreciate that he didn't expressed resentment/anger towards Gaffney. I appreciate that he continued to play in the system and not just to redeem his starting position. I appreciate even though you were limited in height you played like you were always a giant.

I appreciate Alterique Gilbert, and all that he did to help turn this program around, you are UConn Pride!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Vital stole the show, but AG made his presence felt. He was not going out at home like a punk. No player here has faced what he faced. His dreams were pretty much rerouted, postponed and then set back (placed on the bench).

AG was maligned by a lot of us, including me, until I remembered he's technically a sophomore playing with only 1+ years of experience. I also apologize to him for my unkind observations about his game (especially in chats).

If Gaff and Adams can really look at AG's journey and mirror his grit, persistence and determination our future is certainly bright. I have never seen a HS star benched in his Senior Year to a freshman. Furthermore I have never see any star handle a benching like AG and still lead and cheer his team. No matter what he always tried his best, and it showed especially defensively.

I appreciate how he didn't pout, complain or say a bad word about his coach. I appreciate that he didn't expressed frustration/anger towards Gaffney. I appreciate that he continued to play in the system and not just to redeem his starting position. I appreciate even though you were limited in height you played like you were always a giant.

I appreciate Alterique Gilbert, and all that he did to help turn this program around, you are UConn Pride!

EXACTLY.

The adversity he has fought through has made me a lifelong fan of his. I wish him prosperity and happiness for whatever he does in his future. If that means going elsewhere to play ball or coming back here. I would definitely welcome him back here next year.

That is such a good point you made; even though this is his 4th year at UConn, he really is only a sophomore and this his first complete year! I really believe if he and and Jalen didn't get injured last year, this team could've made the NCAA tourney at best and would've definitely made the NIT.

I thought he was good last night and played really good D on Caleb Mills, and really whoever he was guarding.

It was an emotional night for sure-its why I made the drive all the way from Boston down to Gampel to see the game.

pj

Reaction Score
Benching AG could be the turning point of Hurley's career too -- the moment he matured as a coach and found the right integration of being a player's coach, a team coach, and a disciplinarian.

It was an educational moment. AG seeing the team do better with him not playing than it did with him leading must have been humbling, but enlightening. He's played much more disciplined basketball since coming back.

Reaction Score
I haven't fought for a UConn player like I have Alterique in years. Heck, I stopped posting on this board for years until I saw the way AG was being treated here (and had to listen to two 'fans' screaming at Hurley to take him out every time he touched the ball earlier in the season). And last night is why:

35 minutes before the game, nobody was sure if AG would even be able to play. He went out and played a team-high 33 minutes (which is a lot for a guy with no minutes available for him next season, but that's a different thread for a different day). He took charges. He put his body on the line play after play. He winced in pain between plays (dealing with back spasms isn't fun, just ask Emeka Okafor). And he took the head off Houston's offense with his defense all night long.

That's a warrior. That's heart. That's why anyone who goes after a college player busting his butt like he has for this program can go kick rocks.

And most importantly. THAT'S the culture Hurley wants to build and that's why this program is back. Hurley said last night the leadership light went on for CV 6-7 weeks ago, but for AG it went on the day Hurley arrived. Gilbert has been through more adversity than any UConn player -- three surgeries, a broken face, a coaching change, losing seasons, playing instead of going home the day after his grandmother died earlier this season, a constantly changing role -- and he's been a true Husky every step of the way.

This program is headed where it hasn't been in a very long time and no matter if he's here for the next part of it or not, AG deserves nothing but praise for everything he's done to help lead us in that direction.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the end, its hard not to appreciate what all these kids bring. AG was a warrior last night and made some huge plays down the stretch. Good for him. Its so easy to criticize these kids because of the platform they play on, but in the end, most try their hardest and want the best. AG is no different. His career may not have turned out the way anyone had thought, but there he was last night, playing his arse off and contributing to a big UConn win at Gampel. Once a Huskie, Always a Huskie and AG will always be family for these past four years.

Reaction Score
Benching AG could be the turning point of Hurley's career too -- the moment he matured as a coach and found the right integration of being a player's coach, a team coach, and a disciplinarian.

It was an educational moment. AG seeing the team do better with him not playing than it did with him leading must have been humbling, but enlightening. He's played much more disciplined basketball since coming back.

He’s done a similar thing at both of his previous college coaching jobs, both with younger point guards taking over for upperclassmen. You might disagree with the timing, which is fair, but it’s not necessarily something new. Gaffney’s been solid, but throw him in there too early, and you risk messing up both of them.
———

Because of the injuries, it started to become difficult to know what to expect of Alterique. People were still hanging on to all those earlier accolades as to how he should be now. Once you let go of all the hype and just appreciate him for who he is and what he does bring to the game, it’s easy to appreciate him. He’s dealt with the adversity and will be a better player and person for it.

C

Chief00

I will miss his on the ball defense. Last night he also had some amazing break down the defender dribble moves. He’s a better straight away shooter than many give him credit for WHEN he uses good shot selection. How he’s able to identify that and ball security will be the keys to his success.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Glad he has gotten healthy and found a role to maximize this team's performance. The loss at Houston looks like it was his bottoming out and Come To Jesus moment. Nice to see him come full circle and be a big contributor to the win last night.

Reaction Score
I will miss his On the ball defense. Last night he also had some amazing break down the defender dribble moves. He’s a better straight away shooter than oriole give him credits for WHEN he uses good shot selection. How he’s able to identify that and ball security will be the keys to his success.

"I will miss"....does that mean he's definitely leaving?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Give him a minute....

giphy.gif

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

I'm glad you have decided to be positive about some things that AG brings to the table in spite of the crippling injuries he has had to endure.
My question to you - what took you so long???? ;)
Unkind observations in the chat? that's being somewhat mild but at least you have the onions to come out and state it and I give kudos for that action.
AG isn't perfect but he has the heart of a lion and paying wise - as you stated above in the bold - he really hasn't had a real lot of playing time in reflection to his time in Storrs
I, for one, wishes he returns, however, if not, I hope the best for him.
He is a TRUE BLUE HUSKY

Reaction Score
I will miss his On the ball defense. Last night he also had some amazing break down the defender dribble moves. He’s a better straight away shooter than oriole give him credits for WHEN he uses good shot selection. How he’s able to identify that and ball security will be the keys to his success.

I think he's a better shooter when he's set and goes straight up not angled. He makes a nice percentage when he's not sideways or moving at all. Yesterday he wasn't guard-able at times, took everyone but only finished 2 had a couple others hang on the rim. I wish you could make one amazing guard out of Gaff and he. I mean they both have things the other wishes he had, or at least I do LOL.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think he's a better shooter when he's set and goes straight up not angled. He makes a nice percentage when he's not sideways or moving at all. Yesterday he wasn't guard-able at times, took everyone but only finished 2 had a couple others hang on the rim. I wish you could make one amazing guard out of Gaff and he. I mean they both have things the other wishes he had, or at least I do LOL.

UConn went 4 or 5 out of the lane and Gilbert was able to get past his man and get a clean look at the rim. So many of his overpenetrating drives earlier this year were because the defense could shade a big to cover up the rim and Gilbert would flail away uncontrollably near the rim. The small ball lineup helps AG get cleaner looks at the rim.

Reaction Score
LOL I said the same about Mills amazing the resemblance. But that kid can score too huh? He's not quite Bouk but he can throw it in the hole multiple ways, a tough cover.

Kid was good. I was concerned for a minute that he was going to bury them himself.

Reaction Score
AG is a tough competitor and as a Husky fan I appreciated all he has given to the program. Wish him success and health in all his future endeavors.

Reaction Score
hell of defender. on offense he was the closest this i’ve seen compared to kemba driving to the basket. i’m always expecting a kemba finish but we don’t know what could’ve been without all the injuries

he was a good shooter at mid range and 3 as well

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I love AG and I'm really hoping he stays for one more year. But if he doesn't, he should leave with his head held high. The kid fought through a lot of things, internally and externally.

Pride. Heart. UConn.

Reaction Score
EXACTLY.

The adversity he has fought through has made me a lifelong fan of his. I wish him prosperity and happiness for whatever he does in his future. If that means going elsewhere to play ball or coming back here. I would definitely welcome him back here next year.

That is such a good point you made; even though this is his 4th year at UConn, he really is only a sophomore and this his first complete year! I really believe if he and and Jalen didn't get injured last year, this team could've made the NCAA tourney at best and would've definitely made the NIT.

I thought he was good last night and played really good D on Caleb Mills, and really whoever he was guarding.

It was an emotional night for sure-its why I made the drive all the way from Boston down to Gampel to see the game.
Been making that point about his experience all year - no one cared before.
I hope that if he still wants to play college ball he stays

Reaction Score
try out for the sixers. if shake milton is making noise, anyone can

Reaction Score
Kid is all heart. A lot of the over penetrating drives that he was criticized for were fair, but I don't think anybody plays defense on the ball like he does. His lateral quickness seems like it was unmatched all year in any game. If he was a few inches taller or the same size as Vital, his ability to get to the rim would have made him an absolute monster. If he leaves, I hope the underclassmen take note of how he played and carried himself. Through the ups and downs.. don't think I ever heard of him griping, which is probably why the malice and criticism against him bothered me so much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom