Alterique Gilbert Appreciation Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alterique Gilbert Appreciation Thread

Reaction Score
I haven't fought for a UConn player like I have Alterique in years. Heck, I stopped posting on this board for years until I saw the way AG was being treated here (and had to listen to two 'fans' screaming at Hurley to take him out every time he touched the ball earlier in the season). And last night is why:

35 minutes before the game, nobody was sure if AG would even be able to play. He went out and played a team-high 33 minutes (which is a lot for a guy with no minutes available for him next season, but that's a different thread for a different day). He took charges. He put his body on the line play after play. He winced in pain between plays (dealing with back spasms isn't fun, just ask Emeka Okafor). And he took the head off Houston's offense with his defense all night long.

That's a warrior. That's heart. That's why anyone who goes after a college player busting his butt like he has for this program can go kick rocks.

And most importantly. THAT'S the culture Hurley wants to build and that's why this program is back. Hurley said last night the leadership light went on for CV 6-7 weeks ago, but for AG it went on the day Hurley arrived. Gilbert has been through more adversity than any UConn player -- three surgeries, a broken face, a coaching change, losing seasons, playing instead of going home the day after his grandmother died earlier this season, a constantly changing role -- and he's been a true Husky every step of the way.

This program is headed where it hasn't been in a very long time and no matter if he's here for the next part of it or not, AG deserves nothing but praise for everything he's done to help lead us in that direction.

Excellent post, good to see.

Reaction Score
Listen. Real simple. Point blank. Last night was some of the best on the ball defense I have seen by a UConn player in a long long time. Reminiscent of my boy Ricky Moore. almost got the sense last night (crazy as it sounds ) that AG might be turning a corner for us/ god if that jumper cud ever start to fall and he cud finish a drive/ I swear he can ankle break anyone in the country. Don’t count him out just yet. And , if he comes back and regains his old swag over the summer, don’t be surprised he fights Gaff for that starting spot. I really hope he comes back - we ll need his D for sure next year.

Reaction Score
Listen. Real simple. Point blank. Last night was some of the best on the ball defense I have seen by a UConn player in a long long time. Reminiscent of my boy Ricky Moore. almost got the sense last night (crazy as it sounds ) that AG might be turning a corner for us/ god if that jumper cud ever start to fall and he cud finish a drive/ I swear he can ankle break anyone in the country. Don’t count him out just yet. And , if he comes back and regains his old swag over the summer, don’t be surprised he fights Gaff for that starting spot. I really hope he comes back - we ll need his D for sure next year.
"Don’t count him out just yet."
Exactly my thoughts. Don't count him out. It seems like he has figured when to be aggressive and force the issue and when not to.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
That play he made where he anticipated Jarreau dribbling towards center-court and took that charge, giving him his 4th foul...that was the turning point of the game. Jarreau didn't do anything the rest of the game and Houston had to completely change how they ran their offense the rest of the game.

Alterique was awesome the other night. We wouldn't have won without his defense.

Reaction Score
Al has quick feet. Its all about getting in front of your man.
We will go as far as our defense carry us.

Reaction Score
I really appreciate that he got his head together and accepted his revised role as a sub. I also appreciate his changing his style of constantly trying to drive thru the paint in the final minutes of a game and either getting stuffed on a shot or losing the ball. He became a hero in my book because of that.

Reaction Score
What AG has endurred w his shoulder should be a testimonial to true grit. He finally materialized, after recovery, this year, and matured over the year, into a true Huskie star. Hope he returns.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom