Alterique G. Cornerstone of the Franchise | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alterique G. Cornerstone of the Franchise

Reaction Score
If Gilbert can stay healthy, and unfortunately that is a big if given the nature of his injuries, I think there is no doubt that will emerge as the primary ball handler. This should take pressure off Adams and put him in a better position to attack offensively. I wouldn't look at it as limiting his role in any way, just making his job easier and his usage more efficient.
It is easy to be negative given the turbulent off season at Storrs, but we bring back some really good players and there is reason to be optimistic about that!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'll take a similar, but slight different point of view on this. Gilbert is critical. Adams is critical. The key will be learning to play together. Adams looked completely lost playing off the ball with Gilbert to start the year last year, and the result was two losses to bad teams. Gilbert had good numbers, so did Larrier, but the team played badly.

So that's what I'll be looking for. Can they make the co-PG system work? I don't think you can simply make Adams a shooting guard, he isn't. He's really creative player and passer, and needs to handle the ball. Gilbert is a natural PG, who can shoot. They need to figure it out. If they do, those two, plus Larrier and some points from Vital will be plenty of offense. We just need the front court to play D, rebound and get some garbage baskets and easy conversions from what the back-court creates.
I'll add another question to that. Can they play aggressive defense? That's the bigger challenge for AG in my opinion.

The 2014 NC was won at least as much by defense as anything else. Boat and Bazz made opposing guards miserable thus taking the whole team out of their offense. That is the recipe for success for the 2017-2018 season IMO. I believe that Vital is the key. If he can come in with no defensive drop off, (and I believe he can, if not step up the intensity a bit) then we are going to be a nightmare for opposing teams, particularly in the tournament.

My biggest question mark is Larrier. I'm just not sure what he's going to do on both sides of the ball. I feel like we have the personal to have serviceable 4-5 play, so Larrier is my question mark. I do feel like he has the gifts to be all we need.

Reaction Score
Alterique will be the point guard for the simple reason being the team cannot win without him running the point successfully. Jalen will be the second point guard meaning less time with the ball and more time moving so that Alterique can feed him the ball in the right position.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'll add another question to that. Can they play aggressive defense? That's the bigger challenge for AG in my opinion.

The 2014 NC was won at least as much by defense as anything else. Boat and Bazz made opposing guards miserable thus taking the whole team out of their offense. That is the recipe for success for the 2017-2018 season IMO. I believe that Vital is the key. If he can come in with no defensive drop off, (and I believe he can, if not step up the intensity a bit) then we are going to be a nightmare for opposing teams, particularly in the tournament.

My biggest question mark is Larrier. I'm just not sure what he's going to do on both sides of the ball. I feel like we have the personal to have serviceable 4-5 play, so Larrier is my question mark. I do feel like he has the gifts to be all we need.

I'll agree and will add to that. If Adams isn't playing less, maybe 5 minutes or more less a game, then we are in trouble. Anderson needs to be in there defending like mad for 10 minutes at least, spelling both Gilbert and Adams (with Vital playing the off guard as well). I would really like to see these four guards raising their hand from exhaustion every few minutes and rotating out. That would be a sign that we are playing the right way.

Reaction Score

Think with the exception of Adams, there are lots of questions. Although it will be an exciting yr, lots of unknowns. However, if Larrier can not atleast contribute on the offensive side of the ball, it's going to be a long year.

Although I haven't seen Larrier play much, my question is which all conference team does he make and can he compete for player of the year in AAC?

Reaction Score
Alterique will be the point guard for the simple reason being the team cannot win without him running the point successfully. Jalen will be the second point guard meaning less time with the ball and more time moving so that Alterique can feed him the ball in the right position.

The team cannot win without Alterique running things? Good lord calm down with the hyperbole.
Kemba came off the bench, Bazz and Boat came of the bench their freshman years. Alterique did not show that he was at that level in the games he played because he wasn't focused on defense but on padding his stats.

I like Alterique, I just don't think he should be our lead guard next year for many reasons that I have outlined already. If he's leading the team with Jalen playing second fiddle we will have wtf losses again and will have team chemistry problems.

Alterique needs to come off the bench to start the year to get accustomed to the game intensity and provide a spark. I trust Vitals effect on the team. He will still play plenty of minutes.

Reaction Score
Nah, Calhoun did it with Kemba and Shabazz to amazing success. Pretty common tactic.

Whenever Bazz was in, Kemba shifted to a 2 role, and Bazz essentially ran the offense. The ball always went through Kemba of course, as it should.

How in god's name did you surmise that? What little I've seen of Alterique so far indicates the exact opposite. Not necessarily better than a Jr Adams per se, but he seems more natural leader. With chutzpah. And obviously very talented. Only question is his faulty wing. That's literally the only worry for me RE Alterique.

Big difference is Shabazz didn't start games to begin with Lamb did and rightfully so. Also Bazz didn't supplant Kemba in games and knew his role. Kemba was the leader whereas Jalen played second fiddle to Rique to start the year and played almost exclusively off the ball those 3 games with disastrous outcomes.

Bazz played excellent defense from the jump and really played with a chip on his shoulder like Vital to prove himself.

PS: Where and how was Alteriques leadership and chutzpah shown that you can be confident that he has more natural leadership qualities. Rique is missing the fire and voice that UCONN legendary point guards are known for. He is more like Lamb with regards to personality. I like him as a player but some of you are seeing things that are not there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I would really, really not like to see that.

If it because they are out of shape, I don't either. If it because we are running on offense, and playing relentless ball pressure defense, then I would love to see it. If we are playing slow ball, and I see our perimeter players bouncing the ball in place or lazily passing around the three point line (as they have the past few years) then my optimism for the year will wane rapidly. We can't win playing like that.

Reaction Score
Very funny. So moderators.......I'm laughing with you, but now that you've had your fun would you kindly remove the smiley face from where my name goes. I'm not really good with computers, I am a blue collar kind of guy, so have some mercy, be kind to the blind and all that.

Thank you......................T

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Didn't Barkley pick against us every game?

Halftime of the Michigan State game with I think UConn up or down by 2 (?) announcers go what do the think second half. Sir Charles goes Michigan State played better at the end of the first half I think they blow UConn out in the second. Kenny A, to his credit, goes don't think so, the UConn guards are really good they just missed some open looks, if they can hit them in the second half I like UConn.

I do think at some point after that game Sir Charles goes those UConn guards really can play (or course he never picked us going forward). So not only does he not listen to anyone else he doesn't even listen to himself.

Reaction Score

Don't think we'll know for sure who will be the primary PG until we see how the team comes together. In reality it'll probably be a split role if for no other reason than to give Adams a breather (even if he stays in the game). We're much more dangerous with 2 primary ballhandlers so my guess is you'll see both in the game and an average fan wouldn't be able to tell you who is playing point. The beauty of this scheme is they can now run Adams off screens or let him take the ball to the hole himself. It may all come down to which of the two is shooting it better on any particular night.

Reaction Score
They both have point guard skills and Set shooters up, hopefully each other. This is why It's important that they both improve their 3 point shooting in the off season. It wasn't a big strength in either one's game but we will need to have that along with Vital's. I noticed Gilbert had trouble getting all the way to the rim sometimes but he has creativeness and intelligence so the year off may pay a dividend in his education, learning how to be most effective. What he got away with in high school doesn't translate at his height.

Reaction Score
The offense was stagnant for much of last year with Adams running the point, it was a slow down offense dictated by the injuries and lack of personnel. Adams did a great job but he will be much better with the freedom to roam. True gifted point guards do not come along that frequently and Gilbert is one of them. Ollie as a point guard himself recognizes it. Alterique will shine in an up tempo offense. He will not be the best player on the team my money is on Adams for that honor, but he will make everyone better. If Alterique does not live up to his billing this team will struggle all year.

Reaction Score
The offense was stagnant for much of last year with Adams running the point, it was a slow down offense dictated by the injuries and lack of personnel. Adams did a great job but he will be much better with the freedom to roam. True gifted point guards do not come along that frequently and Gilbert is one of them. Ollie as a point guard himself recognizes it. Alterique will shine in an up tempo offense. He will not be the best player on the team my money is on Adams for that honor, but he will make everyone better. If Alterique does not live up to his billing this team will struggle all year.
"...dictated by the injuries and lack of personnel"
Can't really go too much on last season because of this. Plus Durham and Jackson got major minutes and I don't think that was KO's plan at the start of the season. Neither were particularly good defenders. Our guards need to play better perimeter D next season to take the pressure off our bigs. How often did we see our guards get beat last season and end up with Brimah leaving his man to challenge only to have his man end up with an easy rebound or hoop? Defense begins on the perimeter.
We will be a much better team if Cobb plays well enough to win the starting job at the 5.

Reaction Score
Responding to Uconn 17's post of Chris Paul's twitter. I'm assuming this means that Alterique is at Chris Paul's camp for elite point guards. Seems to me Kemba or Shabazz attended this camp also in our recent history. This is just great preseason prep by the staff and AG to get ready for this year. AG is going to start lighting it up this year with a complete floor game. Can't wait! This is going to be a different team this year with him on the floor. And for the naysayers that hark back to those first 2 games last year, big ducking deal, AG was just finding his way as a freshman in his first two games and that team was just coming together as a cohesive unit with everyone new to each other in actual game conditions. The game that he went down with the injury I thought he was looking more poised and sure of himself as the primary ball handler and then boom that was it. Hopefully Larrier has his complete health 100% and Jalen brings all his craftiness and scoring talent and with Vital and Anderson contributing along with some strong play from a new but fully stocked front court the potential is there for a good season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Calhoun quoted in today's Hartford Courant, August 15 Tuesday. "Gilbert can be a key to the season. You need that [point guard type] who cam make other people better." End quote. Largest part of his floor game. Being the point, the facilitator, of the offense and team in general. Contributing greatly to the TEAM playing as a TEAM and not just 5 guys one at a time. Team defined as a group of individuals working together in a coordinated effort. A player or two or three have to be on the court making that happen. Individual efforts only get you so far and not consistently. Several times this year already I've heard the coaching staff, Ollie and Killings in particular, speak on AG's leadership qualities, like every time his name comes up.

In addition, he's going to score points.

Taking a leap of faith here based on what he has done throughout his young career as a baller and what I see with my own eyes being 53 and playing and seeing a lot of basketball. We'll see what happens. Go Huskies!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Calhoun quoted in today's Hartford Courant, August 15 Tuesday. "Gilbert can be a key to the season. You need that [point guard type] who cam make other people better." End quote. Largest part of his floor game. Being the point, the facilitator, of the offense and team in general.

There was a number of people like @Huskymagic who were telling me and others that this was a foolish notion. Even though we've seen it before with Bazz/Kemba, and sort of Taliek/Ben.

JC knows.

Adams is best utilized off the ball, with Gilbert facilitating, and the offense running through Jalen. He can shoot/slash/create there. Use his first step to break down a defense.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
How has Gilbert shown he can distribute the ball better than Adams? Wasn't Adams top ten in the country at assists last year?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How has Gilbert shown he can distribute the ball better than Adams? Wasn't Adams top ten in the country at assists last year?

He's still gonna get his assists from the off guard spot, when he drives and dishes. We want him to be the primary scorer; score first, pass second. That can be at the point, but it's more effective from the two. As long as you have a high end facilitator at the PG.

Reaction Score
There was a number of people like @Huskymagic who were telling me and others that this was a foolish notion. Even though we've seen it before with Bazz/Kemba, and sort of Taliek/Ben.

JC knows.

Adams is best utilized off the ball, with Gilbert facilitating, and the offense running through Jalen. He can shoot/slash/create there. Use his first step to break down a defense.

Anybody who has any knowledge of our roster and still thinks we shouldn't start both Adams and Gilbert should never be taken seriously.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom