Alterique G. Cornerstone of the Franchise | The Boneyard

Alterique G. Cornerstone of the Franchise

Reaction Score
Positive thread fellas. This season may surprise. It is possible we might have a good year, I'm hoping and have some confidence that we are going to do some winning this year. I think it starts at the point. Gilbert will be the primary ball handler and floor leader. I am not saying that stat wise he is going to put up better numbers than either Jalen or Terry but he will lead in assists because that ball is going to be in his hands nearly every non fast breaking possession. He is going to give the team stability and focus and this is invaluable. I am not saying that he is the cornerstone yet, but he is going to play himself into that role this year and next year will be even more so. And so on. Recruiting wise players are going to want to play with him, future tense, after this year. Is he a proven college player, no, but I know a good player when I see one same as anybody. Watch it happen before your eyes.

If he stays healthy.

I'm pretty sure Jalen and Terry are going to have banner years and score most of our points on a regular basis. Jalen is going to have the ball in his hands a lot and I am sure that the two headed point will be a weapon really often. Even though Jalen had a great year last year and learned so much as a player playing the 1 he is not a natural college point guard like Alterique. He had a lot of assists last year because he had the ball in his hands all the time. Doesn't make him a point guard. He's a combo, more of a scorer, and will bloom this year spending more time off the ball.

Christian Vital will be one of the better 6th men anywhere. Anderson will be solid.
Diarra is a natural 4 and might log the most minutes there but Carlton may play some at the 4 and Williams maybe. Whaley might have some moves and see some good minutes but I think he needs muscle.

With the other newcomers I have a feeling Tyler Polley may surprise us with his smoothness and ability. Cobb I hope earns the center spot with serious play but who knows. Onuorah from what I am seeing is not a scorer but may impact the the game doing everything else. Carlton will play some 5 also.

Just some opinions guys but I'm believing what I am writing. See what happens. Go Huskies !

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You surmised this after watching the first three games of his college career, and some high school mixtapes? Saying he's gonna take the ball out of Adams hands, someone who has proven he's an above average PG, and likely breakout player next season, is quite the stretch.

pj

Reaction Score
He's our second or third best player, and a pure point guard. Of course he's going to be the lead guard. Jalen is much more versatile and can excel off the ball. Alterique will not be taking the ball away from Jalen, he'll be feeding it to Jalen in better spots than Jalen was able to get it last year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You surmised this after watching the first three games of his college career, and some high school mixtapes? Saying he's gonna take the ball out of Adams hands, someone who has proven he's an above average PG, and likely breakout player next season, is quite the stretch.

He's right - put a natural point guard on the team and Jalen won't have to handle the ball nearly as often...which will be good for him. Best case for Jalen is that he gets to be Ben Gordon to Alterique's Taliek Brown.

If Larrier, Gilbert, Vital and god please anyone from the front court can put the ball in the basket on a regular basis and our offense isn't just Jalen and prayer, better for everyone involved.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Adams,Gilbert,larrier and vital need to have solid years.

Darriea,polley,Anderson,onuorah,Cobb need to have decent years.

Carrollton,Whaley,kwintin need to give us minuets,fouls and maybe a little production here and there.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He's right - put a natural point guard on the team and Jalen won't have to handle the ball nearly as often...which will be good for him. Best case for Jalen is that he gets to be Ben Gordon to Alterique's Taliek Brown.

Or more recently...he gets to be Kemba to Alterique's Shabazz.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

If Larrier, Gilbert, Vital and god please anyone from the front court can put the ball in the basket on a regular basis and our offense isn't just Jalen and prayer, better for everyone involved.
I don't see Adams as the type of player making off ball cuts, shooting off screens, or guarding the opposing teams SG.

I do think for us to have a chance in hell of making the tournament, he has to learn those skills now.

Reaction Score
Alterique will be a good player but in no way should he be our point guard next year and handling the rock more than Adams. Jalen is the leader of the team and our point guard. Alterique does not have the fire, talent, or leadership qualities to overtake a junior Adams.

Do that and watch the same inexplicable results happen again against scrub teams. Alterique should be our 6th man to start the year.

Vital fits the team better and Adams better.

Reaction Score
Alterique is special. He and Jalen are going to will this team to a few wins this year off of pure moxy alone. A la bazz and boat in the tourney ban season

Reaction Score
I trust KO to figure out who should be the primary ball handler. Regardless of who it is, I'm excited to see AG ball. My #1 point of anticipation for the season.

Reaction Score
@Son of Robert I like this post. Let's get to some game action and see where the chips fall. I don't see Gilbert taking the ball out of Jalen's hands though. Jalen's best value at the next level, either NBA or overseas, is probably as a point guard. He's going to want to showcase that this year and the staff would be hard pressed to take him off the ball on a regular basis after his 6 assists a game last year. I have to think it is going to be his team to run unless Gilbert shows out big in practice and in early game action. That doesn't mean I don't see them on the floor together though and being effective doing so. I just think Vital compliments both Jalen and Gilbert better than Jalen and Gilbert compliment each other. Assuming everyone is healthy this year it will be a really good problem to have.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score

Carrollton,Whaley,kwintin need to give us minuets,fouls and maybe a little production here and there.
I'm not quite sure Carrollton can write a good minuet. But we'll see.

Reaction Score
I'm right on this like pretty much everything else I've been saying last couple of years. I'm the first to sound the alarm bells.

You are right 1 out of 100 times in your life and then you gloat. This team needs Alterique to be exactly what the OP is predicting in order for it to surprise and be a player this year. In your scenario we repeat last year.

I forgot which round did Brimah go in after they passed him up in the lottery magic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

I think Cobb and Williams become some of what we need. Doesn't mean I don't think Carlton or Whaley could surprise but just a gut.

Reaction Score
@Son of Robert I like this post. Let's get to some game action and see where the chips fall. I don't see Gilbert taking the ball out of Jalen's hands though. Jalen's best value at the next level, either NBA or overseas, is probably as a point guard. He's going to want to showcase that this year and the staff would be hard pressed to take him off the ball on a regular basis after his 6 assists a game last year. I have to think it is going to be his team to run unless Gilbert shows out big in practice and in early game action. That doesn't mean I don't see them on the floor together though and being effective doing so. I just think Vital compliments both Jalen and Gilbert better than Jalen and Gilbert compliment each other. Assuming everyone is healthy this year it will be a really good problem to have.

Hopefully they run (have to rebound) and the ball gets to one of their hands and they make plays. But in the half court I believe it probably will end up divided as to who takes the ball. I know Jalen needs to have to for the next level but I don't think that's best for this team but we will see. AG a little better as a pure PG but both are so creative who knows, it's a nice problem to have.

Reaction Score
He's our second or third best player, and a pure point guard. Of course he's going to be the lead guard. Jalen is much more versatile and can excel off the ball. Alterique will not be taking the ball away from Jalen, he'll be feeding it to Jalen in better spots than Jalen was able to get it last year.
I see Jalen playing the point also, but more so in conjunction with Gilbert, and I think that you are right with what you stated. Jalen can now be off the ball or on the ball creating his own shots. It makes him much more dangerous.

Reaction Score

One of those viral dunks from Kwintin wouldn't be too bad as well...

pj

Reaction Score
Alterique will be a good player but in no way should he be our point guard next year and handling the rock more than Adams. Jalen is the leader of the team and our point guard. Alterique does not have the fire, talent, or leadership qualities to overtake a junior Adams.

Do that and watch the same inexplicable results happen again against scrub teams. Alterique should be our 6th man to start the year.

Vital fits the team better and Adams better.

Have you heard of "positionless basketball"? Your post amounts to saying "Jalen and Alterique are both point guards, Jalen is better, therefore Jalen should play and Alterique sit."

Yet Alterique is our second best player, and our best teams have had two point guards on the floor at the same time.

Reaction Score
Have you heard of "positionless basketball"? Your post amounts to saying "Jalen and Alterique are both point guards, Jalen is better, therefore Jalen should play and Alterique sit."

Yet Alterique is our second best player, and our best teams have had two point guards on the floor at the same time.

You're a good poster pj and I respect your opinion but I don't share it. There is no way you take the ball out of Jalens hand for Alterique to run the show for the reasons listed above.

I believe Alterique is better for our team as the 6th man next year not only because it gives us a valuable point guard to run the show when Jalen is tired, but also because it fits the team better for next year. He needs to play like Boat his freshman year off the bench to give us a spark.

Vital has proven himself as a very reliable outside threat, good defensively and providing intangibles that elevates team unity and effectiveness with Jalen. I trust Vitals effect on the game over Alterique's.

Reaction Score
You're a good poster pj and I respect your opinion but I don't share it. There is no way you take the ball out of Jalens hand for Alterique to run the show for the reasons listed above.

I believe Alterique is better for our team as the 6th man next year not only because it gives us a valuable point guard to run the show when Jalen is tired, but also because it fits the team better for next year. He needs to play like Boat his freshman year off the bench to give us a spark.

Vital has proven himself as a very reliable outside threat, good defensively and providing intangibles that elevates team unity and effectiveness with Jalen. I trust Vitals effect on the game over Alterique's.
Don't agree, for this team to be good or great AG will have to be a big part of it, a huge part.

I'll be shocked if AG mins are below 30 a game and this team wins 20 games, absolutely shocked.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Nah, Calhoun did it with Kemba and Shabazz to amazing success. Pretty common tactic.

Whenever Bazz was in, Kemba shifted to a 2 role, and Bazz essentially ran the offense. The ball always went through Kemba of course, as it should.

Alterique will be a good player but in no way should he be our point guard next year and handling the rock more than Adams. Jalen is the leader of the team and our point guard. Alterique does not have the fire, talent, or leadership qualities to overtake a junior Adams

How in god's name did you surmise that? What little I've seen of Alterique so far indicates the exact opposite. Not necessarily better than a Jr Adams per se, but he seems more natural leader. With chutzpah. And obviously very talented. Only question is his faulty wing. That's literally the only worry for me RE Alterique.

Reaction Score
Less bounce, more pounce.

Unless we catch that Bazz/Boat lightning in a bottle, where Kenny Anderson or Sir Charles said regarding UConn's NCAA run: you can't defend UConn, both guards can rise up and get their own shot whenever they want.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Less bounce, more pounce.

Unless we catch that Bazz/Boat lightning in a bottle, where Kenny Anderson or Sir Charles said regarding UConn's NCAA run: you can't defend UConn, both guards can rise up and get their own shot whenever they want.
Didn't Barkley pick against us every game?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'll take a similar, but slight different point of view on this. Gilbert is critical. Adams is critical. The key will be learning to play together. Adams looked completely lost playing off the ball with Gilbert to start the year last year, and the result was two losses to bad teams. Gilbert had good numbers, so did Larrier, but the team played badly.

So that's what I'll be looking for. Can they make the co-PG system work? I don't think you can simply make Adams a shooting guard, he isn't. He's really creative player and passer, and needs to handle the ball. Gilbert is a natural PG, who can shoot. They need to figure it out. If they do, those two, plus Larrier and some points from Vital will be plenty of offense. We just need the front court to play D, rebound and get some garbage baskets and easy conversions from what the back-court creates.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom