Alpha Dog! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Alpha Dog!

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
kentucky in 2012 and duke last year didnt have an 'alpha dog'. its one of those things thats a problem, unless it isnt

Not sure on UK, but for Duke, it was unquestionably Tyus Jones. Kid had swag for days.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Nah, 04 was definitely the 2 best guys. Emeka was so good that, even if he didn't have the most "swag" on the team, he was still immensely respected. BG had the "swag" factor covered.

It's not just swag or respect. Every single one of those guys would do exactly as Taliek said, every time. He was a complete and total extension of Calhoun on the floor. He was the Commander in Chief. That's one of the best ways to put it. Just to mixup the military metaphor, it's the guy who'll lead the team into the breach. haha

Reaction Score
It's not just swag or respect. Every single one of those guys would do exactly as Taliek said, every time. He was a complete and total extension of Calhoun on the floor. He was the Commander in Chief. That's one of the best ways to put it. Just to mixup the military metaphor, it's the guy who'll lead the team into the breach. haha

I don't agree with that at all really, I think that's an over-glamorization and Taliek is being labeled an Alpha too liberally just because pretty much every other great UConn Alpha has been a PG. I expressly remember basically everyone I knew at the time treating him as the punching bag of that team or saying "I hope Taliek doesn't F this up".

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Jalen Adams will become the Alpha Dog for his team, but it might not happen this year.

Don't get me wrong, we're sorely lacking in that department, but with two 5th-year seniors, a 4th-year junior, a junior captain, and a stud sophomore ahead of him, it's not going to be easy for him to seize the reins without upsetting the chemistry.

To be an Alpha Dog, you need to be (1) tough, (2) vocal, and (3) a high-IQ player.

Gibbs doesn't appear to have it.

Miller has the IQ, he has the toughness, but I'm not sure as a new guy he's going to step in and be vocal.

Purvis can be tough and vocal, but he's not an intelligent player and therefore not a credible leader.

Brimah strikes me as a vocal rah-rah guy, but is a zero in toughness and BBIQ.

Hamilton has the IQ, but he's not a vocal leader.

Adams has the chops, with all 3, and I fully expect him to be that guy as a sophomore. This year's team could be in trouble though.
Let's see what happens as we near the year end. KO at one point said the offense would run through Miller. Not exactly what he meant by that but as you said he has the toughness and intelligence. A leader on the floor is desperately needed. Doesn't have to be the high scorer or even point guard. I'm hoping to see more of an Adrien type play from him down the stretch.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't agree with that at all really, I think that's an over-glamorization and Taliek is being labeled an Alpha too liberally just because pretty much every other great UConn Alpha has been a PG. I expressly remember basically everyone I knew at the time treating him as the punching bag of that team or saying "I hope Taliek doesn't F this up".

Except for Calhoun who called him the heart and soul of that team. A true 'warrior', a phrase he's reserved for a scant few guys.

Most people were woefully myopic RE Taliek's value. A couple of quick quotes from that team:

Emeka: Taliek has had a rough time, especially considering what he has done for this team. He does so much, yet he gets bashed. He leaves it all out on the court and is capable of driving this team with his will.

Calhoun: There's nothing he fears basketball-wise. Sometimes that's really great. Sometimes not so great. The long run wise, is one of the reasons, primary reasons, that we're in the position we're in, is because he believes we're always going to win, he believes he can always do things. That obviously makes him very special.

Calhoun on Duhon vs Taliek: I'd take our guy because I think he's a warrior. Then again, so is Chris Duhon. I take our guy because he's won an awful lot of games, so as Chris Duhon. I take our guy because he is brings leadership and character to our team, and can really defend the heck out of you...Neither one are averaging double figures, but both made incredible contributions during the game. I don't know if you can win without having that kind of kid. They're going to get the loose ball. They're going to make that extra rotation on defense. They're going to push the ball to start a fast break. They're going to make some very good decisions that maybe another player might not be willing to make or take.

Reaction Score
Except for Calhoun who called him the heart and soul of that team. A true 'warrior', a phrase he's reserved for a scant few guys.

Most people were woefully myopic RE Taliek's value. A couple of quick quotes from that team:

Emeka: Taliek has had a rough time, especially considering what he has done for this team. He does so much, yet he gets bashed. He leaves it all out on the court and is capable of driving this team with his will.

Calhoun: There's nothing he fears basketball-wise. Sometimes that's really great. Sometimes not so great. The long run wise, is one of the reasons, primary reasons, that we're in the position we're in, is because he believes we're always going to win, he believes he can always do things. That obviously makes him very special.

Calhoun on Duhon vs Taliek: I'd take our guy because I think he's a warrior. Then again, so is Chris Duhon. I take our guy because he's won an awful lot of games, so as Chris Duhon. I take our guy because he is brings leadership and character to our team, and can really defend the heck out of you...Neither one are averaging double figures, but both made incredible contributions during the game. I don't know if you can win without having that kind of kid. They're going to get the loose ball. They're going to make that extra rotation on defense. They're going to push the ball to start a fast break. They're going to make some very good decisions that maybe another player might not be willing to make or take.

Obviously Taliek's teammate and coach are going to be supportive of him publicly, even last year when Boat had to almost feel like he was out there himself, neither he or Ollie were specifically critical of anyone by name.

Calhoun basically hyped Chris Duhon to the same extent as Taliek in that second statement. It doesn't seem that, judging by that statement, Calhoun was being very judicious with his terminology there. Any successful team has to have a certain amount of respect for the guy who brings the ball up the floor, but I definitely wouldn't consider Taliek to be "the man" on that team.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There's leading from the front and there's leading from behind.

Leading from the front on the court is KEA. Big personality, had no fear and wanted to take the big shot.

Leading from behind is Taliek. He was more a facilitator or mediator making sure everyone got theirs before he got his.

As far as coaching, JC was all lead from the front. He had the dominant personality and everyone was conforming to his way or they were left behind. He was fair and firm and changed his game planning due to personnel but make no doubt about it, he was the lead story. That seems to be the path for success in college.

KO was more of a lead from behind PG in college. Also, NBA coaches tend to lead from behind. It's about cajoling and nudging players to their peak. I believe KO has to get some more lead from the front with this team. In college you may get leaders like Bazz that can put a team on his back but that is an inconsistent variable. A Big Dog coach is a more consistent factor.

As far as this year's team, it's obvious that Hamilton is the most talented player. This is somewhat reminiscent of Donyell's sophomore year when Burrell was a senior. Scotty was a great players but he wasn't a #1 option that was leading a team to greatness. Donyell was a transcendent talent who was still growing in to his body and learning how to harness all the skill.

I don't have any feel for which way this team will progress. It's easy to say they will gel and go on a tear. That talent and the pieces are there. They could also go the hamster wheel route of spinning furiously and not going anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom