Alpha Dog! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alpha Dog!

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
That team was full of testosterone and swag. About 5-6 guys off that team would be the alpha on this team.
Who took the cue from the top alpha el-Amin. There is that famous often repeated story of the pickup game in gampel on KEA's first visit . His first time on campus and he was the one running the games, telling everyone what to do, including Ricky and Rash . And everyone deferred. He wasn't even a Husky yet. That team gained its swagger from him directly. Not that other guys didn't have moxie, but Khalid was on a whole different plane.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Team had none of that before El-Amin arrived.

That is totally true and why you have to know the history of how that team became great. During Rip's freshman year, we really struggled and he had to basically become the point guard. He did well overall for a freshman, but all of those guys were in the "too nice" category. El Amin came along and they each found their roles and the team played loose and relaxed and made a pretty good showing in the NCAA's. All of the '99 starters were mentally and physically tough. None of the frantic deer in the headlights looks we've been seeing again. It took time for that team to learn to play together so well and this group would seem to need a good deal more time.

unfortunately, we have no El Amin right now to steady the ship and make the big plays in the big situations to take the pressure of the other guys. I think that if Jalen was given the reins to take over the lead PG spot, it would help dham, Rodney, and Sterling eventually. We've got to let Jalen make some mistakes and become the quarterback.

Reaction Score
Lol and Lamb and Daniels being alphas, the two were quiet as church mice. Looks like people are just putting together lists of our great players.
I think for the 2011 team you could consider Oriakhi an alpha dog(that season). He was probably the third best player but he had alot of swag, toughness and excitement. He and Kemba(obviously) pumped me up the most. Whenever he slammed he had something to say or do after, and if he came down with a defensive rebound, you did not want to be near those flying elbows.

Reaction Score
Team had none of that before El-Amin arrived.

I have to disagree with that depending on what Alpha Dog actually is. I mean El Amin would fit the description like no one else but some teams didn't need one because they had many. 89-90 had a few with Dove, Sellers, Smitty, Tate all fitting the needs to step up and make some hay. Donyell, Donny, KO quietly, Doron, Ricky all in their own way. But the one who definitely did all by his lonesome with a team of destiny was KEA, no doubt a major Alpha.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The Alpha dog doesnt have to be the most talented or the Top scorer.
Richard Hamilton was All world everything on our 1999 team. Best scorer, most talented, everything. But make no mistake that the Alpha Dog on that 99 team was KEA.
Could be Miller. Needs to step up.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Couple points. Agree DHam needs to stay aggressive. One thing he can do sometimes is force a very tough shot. He's certainly an alpha dog.

There are 3 other guys I think can/should be alphas. Puvis, Gibbs and Miller.

Here are the problems:
- Miller cant/doesn't create off the dribble. He does his best work in the post and being in the lane.
-Purvis can get into the lane at will, but he almost looks for contact instead of trying to play THROUGH contact. (anyone else notice this? seems like he's more worried about getting the foul than the basket) he's a terrible FT shooter. I'd feel much better if he shot even 70% from the line.
-Gibbs needs to get some swag back. I don't think he's used to playing on a team with as much talent, so he tries to be a pure PG, sometimes I just want him to take the open 3!

These are very correctable issues. I think this team will gel during conference play. Excited to see what happens when they do actually gel. Should be fun.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think Jalen is the only one on the team so far who has shown to be fearless and try to step up and make a play when needed. Daniel Hamilton is the most talented player on the team but he has more of a quiet confidence like rip rather than that alpha dog fire. I'd like to see Jalen start and have Gibbs come off the bench. Jalen is the best playmaker on the team outside of Hamilton and I'd rather see him play with the starters. Gibbs isn't near the creator Jalen is right now and Jalen looks like the better defender. Gibbs would also be able to look for his shot more coming off the bench.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think Jalen is the only one on the team so far who has shown to be fearless and try to step up and make a play when needed. Daniel Hamilton is the most talented player on the team but he has more of a quiet confidence like rip rather than that alpha dog fire. I'd like to see Jalen start and have Gibbs come off the bench. Jalen is the best playmaker on the team outside of Hamilton and I'd rather see him play with the starters. Gibbs isn't near the creator Jalen is right now and Jalen looks like the better defender. Gibbs would also be able to look for his shot more coming off the bench.

I actually agree with this, and wouldn't have said as much before the season started. Hamilton is the low key/quiet type a la Rip. Gibbs too. Purvis as the stuff for it, but has still been too indecisive thus far, which is something you just can't be as an alpha.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score

I think you are right. I see Jalen as the closest thing to an alpha dog this team has. He just has to take it. The alpha dog doesn't need to be the leading scorer just the person who sets the tone and gets things going ala Taliek. Though I see JA in much more the KEA type alpha, secondary scorer deferring to the best player/scorer: DHam.

Now I am glad Gibbs is here but part of me wonders if we might have been better off without him and JA being in charge from the get go. But I think Gibbs will right himself and probably win us a game or two throughout the season.

Reaction Score
I think this thread is totally off base. You guys keep arguing about who or what an alpha dog is.

This team needs a pg to run the offense that's not named Daniel hamilton. I don't care if he's an alpha. Beta, omega or whatever as long as he can dribble, pass, and make plays with the ball other than put his head down and barrel to the rI'm

Adams is looking like the best candidate but with so much seniority in front of him I doubt he gets the full opportunity we want to see until next year

Reaction Score
I have to disagree with that depending on what Alpha Dog actually is. I mean El Amin would fit the description like no one else but some teams didn't need one because they had many. 89-90 had a few with Dove, Sellers, Smitty, Tate all fitting the needs to step up and make some hay. Donyell, Donny, KO quietly, Doron, Ricky all in their own way. But the one who definitely did all by his lonesome with a team of destiny was KEA, no doubt a major Alpha.
I'm talking about Rip, Rash, Freeman, Ricky, Jake etc. before El-Amin arrived.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Adams is looking like the best candidate but with so much seniority in front of him I doubt he gets the full opportunity we want to see until next year

And that last bit is exactly the point. JA will get that opportunity if he takes it; it's on him. 13 year old Khalid El-Amin would walk onto this team and have everyone jumping on command. JA just needs to find his balls, because he's got the game.

Reaction Score
Lol and Lamb and Daniels being alphas, the two were quiet as church mice. Looks like people are just putting together lists of our great players.

This thread thoroughly displays the fact that half the people on here don't know what an Alpha Dog is. Has nothing to do with being the best player, although that helps.

Hell, in 2004 it was Taliek, and he was nowhere NEAR Ben and Mek's level.

I understand the concept of Alpha Dog, but there are nuances here.

Ben Gordon was a very quiet player, but I don't know how you can say he wasn't an alpha.

I think of an alpha on the court as one who is beyond reproach by his teammates and the coach.

Lamb and DD, although quiet, were given the space and respect by Kemba and Shabazz to take over games. Their play on the court in the tourney was anything but quiet.

I think it's obvious that most of the time, the pg is going to be the alpha on a team.

If we think of the alpha as the one who has control over others, sure, KEA had the most control over that team, brought the most swagger, but can you really imagine KEA telling Rip to do anything? I think KEA knew Rip was on equal footing.

Similarly, at some point in the NCAAT, Kemba and Shabazz allowed Lamb and DD to become alphas. I can't imagine Shabazz shoving DD like he did to RB.

With all of this said, I'm the quintessential 'outsider fan'and have never met any of the players.

Lastly, I don't believe half the stuff that comes out of my mouth or from my keyboard these days. I think often of that scene from No Country for Old Men, when Anton Chigur says to the gas station owner, 'You don't know what you're talking about, do you?"

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I wrote elsewhere that I reserve judgment on KO's technical until I see how JA progresses in the aftermath. My pet theory (offered with zero swagger, cuz I'm no alpha dog) is that coach took a bullet as a Yes vote for Jalen if he wants to go alpha.
Well, actually, it's just my hope.
We'll see.

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams will become the Alpha Dog for his team, but it might not happen this year.

Don't get me wrong, we're sorely lacking in that department, but with two 5th-year seniors, a 4th-year junior, a junior captain, and a stud sophomore ahead of him, it's not going to be easy for him to seize the reins without upsetting the chemistry.

To be an Alpha Dog, you need to be (1) tough, (2) vocal, and (3) a high-IQ player.

Gibbs doesn't appear to have it.

Miller has the IQ, he has the toughness, but I'm not sure as a new guy he's going to step in and be vocal.

Purvis can be tough and vocal, but he's not an intelligent player and therefore not a credible leader.

Brimah strikes me as a vocal rah-rah guy, but is a zero in toughness and BBIQ.

Hamilton has the IQ, but he's not a vocal leader.

Adams has the chops, with all 3, and I fully expect him to be that guy as a sophomore. This year's team could be in trouble though.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm already sick of the phrase alpha dog.

In my mind, it's taken on the significance of "bigs coach" and "recruiting assistant" as things we relentlessly prescribe when the team plays poorly.

Reaction Score
kentucky in 2012 and duke last year didnt have an 'alpha dog'. its one of those things thats a problem, unless it isnt

Reaction Score
I agree- if we think of an alpha dog as a player who is basically fearless, can take over, and is brimming with confidence, all of Uconn's NC teams had two alpha dogs-

KEA and Rip
Emeka and BG
KEMBA
Shabazz and RB

Had to fix.

Reaction Score
An Alpha dog yes! (with some swagger) but we also desperately need a PG with the handle to shred the defense and drive/kick out if necessary (Kemba/Bazz/Boat etc..)

Adams appears to have the best handle on the team and probably could do it, so a lineup of Adams, Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, and Brimah.

This lineup probably wont help us with rebounds, but that's not exactly going well now anyways lol.

Thoughts?

This is the lineup I'm most advocating for. Wouldn't even mind Miller instead of Brimah at the 5. Obviously you can rotate in the bigs and size up through the course of a game.

Reaction Score

RB was definitely a little mini-alpha next to Bazz on that team IMO.

Reaction Score
This thread thoroughly displays the fact that half the people on here don't know what an Alpha Dog is. Has nothing to do with being the best player, although that helps.

Hell, in 2004 it was Taliek, and he was nowhere NEAR Ben and Mek's level.

Nah, 04 was definitely the 2 best guys. Emeka was so good that, even if he didn't have the most "swag" on the team, he was still immensely respected. BG had the "swag" factor covered.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm already sick of the phrase alpha dog.

I was sick of writing it. I couldn't think of a credible replacement that implied the exact same thing. I tried believe me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom