Alpha Dog! | The Boneyard

Alpha Dog!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Until this team can get that one player to take the lead they will look out of sorts. At the beginning of game no one wants to shot, just a whole bunch of passing. During that passing, good shot opportunities are missed. All good teams have that alpha dog. Maryland (Melo), UNC (Paige), Mich St (Valentine), Iowa St (Niang), Okla (Hield), Uconn women (Stewie), to name a few. Teams with a bunch of good players with no Alpha dog Kentucky, Duke, Virginia, Kansas, and UConn are good but will struggle in the long run until some takes the lead.

Reaction Score
You don't just develop an alpha dog, one must already exist. Luckily for UConn, he does. He goes by the name of Daniel Hamilton. The one positive I took from last night's disaster is we all saw, including Daniel himself, what happens when he takes over a game. The only way, and I mean the only way UConn can do anything this season, is if Daniel uses last night's second half aggression as a spring board. Many of us have said from the beginning that he is an elite talent, now its really up to Daniel to believe that himself. If he does, he is very capable of carrying this team forward. If he doesn't, this team isn't going very far.

Reaction Score
Agree. This year it's gotta be DHam - he's the most talented offensive player on the team. He stepped it up 2nd half last night.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
So probably it makes sense for DHam to decrease his assists and increase his points.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You don't just develop an alpha dog, one must already exist. Luckily for UConn, he does. He goes by the name of Daniel Hamilton. The one positive I took from last night's disaster is we all saw, including Daniel himself, what happens when he takes over a game. The only way, and I mean the only way UConn can do anything this season, is if Daniel uses last night's second half aggression as a spring board. Many of us have said from the beginning that he is an elite talent, now its really up to Daniel to believe that himself. If he does, he is very capable of carrying this team forward. If he doesn't, this team isn't going very far.

The Alpha dog doesnt have to be the most talented or the Top scorer.
Richard Hamilton was All world everything on our 1999 team. Best scorer, most talented, everything. But make no mistake that the Alpha Dog on that 99 team was KEA.

Reaction Score
Richard Hamilton was All world everything on our 1999 team. Best scorer, most talented, everything. But make no mistake that the Alpha Dog on that 99 team was KEA.
I disagree. The alpha dog on that team was Rip Hamilton. We don't win that title without him.

Reaction Score
We had 2 alpha dogs (Rip and KEA) on that team.

I agree- if we think of an alpha dog as a player who is basically fearless, can take over, and is brimming with confidence, all of Uconn's NC teams had two alpha dogs-

KEA and Rip
Emeka and BG
Kemba and Lamb
Shabazz and DD (with RB as a mini-alpha)

Reaction Score
DHam was an Alpha for a bit late in the run. Perhaps we will see a lot more of that. He played with a sense of urgency. I hope it carries on.

Reaction Score
An Alpha dog yes! (with some swagger) but we also desperately need a PG with the handle to shred the defense and drive/kick out if necessary (Kemba/Bazz/Boat etc..)

Adams appears to have the best handle on the team and probably could do it, so a lineup of Adams, Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton, and Brimah.

This lineup probably wont help us with rebounds, but that's not exactly going well now anyways lol.

Thoughts?

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Hamilton clearly took the bone last night FINALLY!. Just wish he was hungry at the start. His mid-range shot is near lethal. Getting to the rim...needs work. As does his 3 point shot. He will improve. And he must lead the dog team from the opening tip.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I disagree. The alpha dog on that team was Rip Hamilton. We don't win that title without him.

If KEA said jump, Hamilton would jump. There's zero doubt who the leader was on that team. Hamilton was by far the best player.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

I'm up to the Gonzaga game from that great season and I agree, while Rip was our All-American, KEA was the quarterback of that team. When that team really, really needed someone to step up and make a big play, it was Khalid who would usually make it happen with a basket or assist. He was as mentally tough a player as we have had. Interestingly, all of the starters on that team were mentally tough in their own way, all great and especially a great team. There were many times that season when Ricky Moore stepped out of his usual role and took over during critical periods and he was the best defender in big spots ever.

Reaction Score
Until this team can get that one player to take the lead they will look out of sorts. At the beginning of game no one wants to shot, just a whole bunch of passing. During that passing, good shot opportunities are missed. All good teams have that alpha dog. Maryland (Melo), UNC (Paige), Mich St (Valentine), Iowa St (Niang), Okla (Hield), Uconn women (Stewie), to name a few. Teams with a bunch of good players with no Alpha dog Kentucky, Duke, Virginia, Kansas, and UConn are good but will struggle in the long run until some takes the lead.

I'm not sure how Brogdon and Grayson Allen don't make your list. This is such a fabricated notion that doesn't need to be a thing. Daniel Hamilton took over the second half of the Maryland game and I expect him to be our leader going forward (remember hes only a soph). It's okay for him to make those around him better instead of taking more FGA. Let this team mesh a little bit.

Reaction Score
I agree that DH is our only chance at a successful alpha dog this year. The main issue is that Gibbs was the undisputed alpha dog at Seton Hall and seems to need the ball in his hands in order to be effective. RP is the same in that regard. Both guys almost never create for other players, and they need to find ways to start doing this ASAP. We also should start running Gibbs off more screens for 3 point opportunities, especially when JA is in running the point. Lastly, Brimah NEEDS to be in the game as much as possible until our guards figure out how to stay in front of guys. He is far from perfect and an offensive liability besides dunks, but with AB out of the game opposing teams are running layup line drills.

Reaction Score
I agree- if we think of an alpha dog as a player who is basically fearless, can take over, and is brimming with confidence, all of Uconn's NC teams had two alpha dogs-

KEA and Rip
Emeka and BG
Kemba and Lamb
Shabazz and DD (with RB as a mini-alpha)
J Lamb? And DD played great down the stretch but there was one Alpha onthat 2014 team

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Plus Ricky "they don't know " Moore
Plus the Ultimate Warrior Kevin Freeman and Jake "The Immovable Object" Voskuhl (among other things). What a team that was!

Reaction Score
Rip was the best player on the team but El-Amin led them in everything they did, guy was the consummate leader point guard.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Plus the Ultimate Warrior Kevin Freeman and Jake "The Immovable Object" Voskuhl (among other things). What a team that was!
That team was full of testosterone and swag. About 5-6 guys off that team would be the alpha on this team.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Lol and Lamb and Daniels being alphas, the two were quiet as church mice. Looks like people are just putting together lists of our great players.

This thread thoroughly displays the fact that half the people on here don't know what an Alpha Dog is. Has nothing to do with being the best player, although that helps.

Hell, in 2004 it was Taliek, and he was nowhere NEAR Ben and Mek's level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom