Alot of smoke for Louisville | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Alot of smoke for Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I disagree with this. You take what's best of the BE and mix it with the ACC. The teams that drag the BE down are no longer part of the picture. They're the ones that took the $18m per that the top ones generated and gave the BE an average of $12m instead. It's the same money, really. It's just not shared with UCF and Memphis and Temple.

The teams that drag the BE down? USF and the hoops schools will be the only ones left out of the game. And the hoops schools are still going out for bid. ESPN had a tremendous marketing property in Big East basketball that they had invested millions in and it is gone. They will have paid much more for the teams in the ACC and Big East by consolidating them than they would have by leaving them separate, and they lost a few like TCU and WVU along the way.

If they could have gotten both leagues for $15MM per football school, which I think they could have, it would have cost ESPN $315MM a year for both conferences football, and then a little extra for the hoops onlies. Now ESPN or Fox will pay over $400MM a year for the same schools, except it won't get all the content and it lost one of its best brands. $85MM PER YEAR more, for the next 15 years, and a loss of a major brand is a pretty big f-up if you ask me. In any business I have ever worked in, that would get everyone even peripherally involved in that decision a pink slip.

Reaction Score
The teams that drag the BE down? USF and the hoops schools will be the only ones left out of the game. And the hoops schools are still going out for bid. ESPN had a tremendous marketing property in Big East basketball that they had invested millions in and it is gone. They will have paid much more for the teams in the ACC and Big East by consolidating them than they would have by leaving them separate, and they lost a few like TCU and WVU along the way.

If they could have gotten both leagues for $15MM per football school, which I think they could have, it would have cost ESPN $315MM a year for both conferences football, and then a little extra for the hoops onlies. Now ESPN or Fox will pay over $400MM a year for the same schools, except it won't get all the content and it lost one of its best brands. $85MM PER YEAR more, for the next 15 years, and a loss of a major brand is a pretty big f-up if you ask me. In any business I have ever worked in, that would get everyone even peripherally involved in that decision a pink slip.

I was thinking of the new deal, not last year's, which I was never aware of actual numbers anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104
Top Bottom