Alot of smoke for Louisville | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alot of smoke for Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Louisville hype is coming from fans. Hopefully, saner heads prevail.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The silence from UConn has to mean something. No idea what, but it means something.

This....I can't imagine us NOT going to the ACC based on all the silence. There would be A LOT of people who would need to answer some serious questions if UConn gets left out and you've seen the complete opposite from Louisville who would have assumedly gotten in if we were left out.

I just can't imagine that if UConn was on the outside they wouldn't be posturing like we were last year when Pitt and Syracuse bolted. This is my only saving hope in this whole thing right now and what's keeping me sane.

Reaction Score
I can't tell if the massive headache I have is from my coworker's halitosis or the constant pessimism on here...probably the halitosis but this is a close second.

We're gonna be just fine.
Kindly suggest a mentos, or tic tac, or piece of gum. If he still doesn't get it ask him if he had a mcmuffin for breakfast.

Reaction Score
The latest rumor is Louisville, with Cincy and UConn likely to follow. Just hope likely means "definitely."

This is what I'm seeing everywhere now on twitter. If this happens, what is left of the Big East Football Conference? And Why would the ACC take 3 new schools.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
This is what I'm seeing everywhere now on twitter. If this happens, what is left of the Big East Football Conference? And Why would the ACC take 3 new schools.

According to an "insider" on the Cincy board, it would be to reach 16 teams. FSU drove this. Not sure I'm buying it, but it would be ideal.

Reaction Score
Years ago, when Mike Tranghese suggested a conference merge, he was rejected. What did that get the ACC?

Louisville and Cincy rather than Rutgers and West Virginia.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If ESPN ends up paying the ACC to take UConn, Louisville and Cincinnati, someone at ESPN deserves to be fired. 8 of the 9 Big East teams will be in other majors and, assuming the ACC's contract is adjusted as expected, these teams will cost over $20MM per school. ESPN could have gotten them for much less as part of the Big East, and locked the league up if it wanted.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If this rumor is true, I believe Cincinnati was added as a to Fox and the Big 10.

F

fortebleedsblue

The latest rumor is Louisville, with Cincy and UConn likely to follow. Just hope likely means "definitely."

This stuff is amusing. FYI ... Everyone step back from the ledge the said tweet has since been deleted.

Reaction Score
I have a hard time seeing the ACC go beyond 14 right now, but I think a lot of people see the end game at 16. If the ACC intends to go to 16 in the near future, I suppose its better to move now and get the best options available. There's not any realistic shot to poach someone out of the SEC or Big 10. And the Big East will be picked pretty clean. If they don't take a Louisville now, there's always a chance the Big 12 comes swooping in. So you take what you can as it may not get any better. I have no idea if the ACC ever really wanted Rutgers, but that ship has now sailed. Outside of the three named Universities, not sure there's any realistic options. I suppose one could try and get a school like Ohio up to snuff my adding them and pumping money into the programs. But that's not ideal.

I suppose one could also argue that if the end game really is 16, the ACC gets there first and tries to point the needle back at the Big 12 and push the other conferences to look at them. Personally, I still see 16 as some arbitrary number, so not sure how much truth there is to this. But it can't hurt to link up Notre Dame with Louisville and Cincy geographically. And having some great access to Ohio recruits (a strong football state) does not hurt.

Reaction Score
If ESPN ends up paying the ACC to take UConn, Louisville and Cincinnati, someone at ESPN deserves to be fired. 8 of the 9 Big East teams will be in other majors and, assuming the ACC's contract is adjusted as expected, these teams will cost over $20MM per school. ESPN could have gotten them for much less as part of the Big East, and locked the league up if it wanted.

I disagree with this. You take what's best of the BE and mix it with the ACC. The teams that drag the BE down are no longer part of the picture. They're the ones that took the $18m per that the top ones generated and gave the BE an average of $12m instead. It's the same money, really. It's just not shared with UCF and Memphis and Temple.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
This stuff is amusing. FYI ... Everyone step back from the ledge the said tweet has since been deleted.

Step back from the ledge??? That'd be great news, if they followed through and added us! I'd rather have both of them come with us than go alone...

Reaction Score
I have a hard time seeing the ACC go beyond 14 right now.

I said it in another post. I don't believe this tweet at all. They are only going to 14, either Louisville or UConn. The departure of Maryland is not going to send them to 16. If that were the case, they would have gone to 16 before Maryland ever took off.

Plus, they clearly made the deal with ND for a reason. They want ND to eventually join.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

A Cincinnati insider is claiming this is from close to Jurich. According to him, Cincinnati, Louisville and UConn have all accepted invitations already. Apparently he called Rutgers to the Big 10 2 weeks before it happened. mhver3 posted that UConn has an offer to join the ACC.

Cincinnati has a very good football program, as does Louisville. Those would be the third and fourth best teams in the ACC this year. For basketball, this league would be incredible. The only Big East programs that matter that wouldn't be in the ACC would be Marquette and Georgetown.

This could also be a defensive move to lock everyone up for the duration of the contract.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A Cincinnati insider is claiming this is from close to Jurich. According to him, Cincinnati, Louisville and UConn have all accepted invitations already. Apparently he called Rutgers to the Big 10 2 weeks before it happened. mhver3 posted that UConn has an offer to join the ACC.

I cannot imagine the ACC going to 16 with Notre Dame still out there.

Every other number makes sense on some level...13, 14 or 15, But 16, no.

Reaction Score
16's good. Then when FSU finally leaves anyway ND get's it's last shot at the open spot. At some point you just have to let FSU go before they drive the bus into the ditch much the same as Pitt and ND helped the BE. They don't care about the ACC just satisfying some temper tantrum about nothing. Replace them with USF and let them be someone else's problem.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i hope uconn lville and cincy all end up in a good spot soon. but if nothing else happens and we just take this acc invite, i may have to redefine the term "smoke a l"

Reaction Score

I suppose it's better than paying $15 million for the ACC and about the same for the Big East. Weren't those the approximate numbers of the ACC deal and the proposed Big East deal before the Big East voted it down and then Syracuse and Pitt left? In the end, ESPN would get most of the old Big East anyway (sans Rutgers and West Virginia, plus some basketball content) and save money. Then they could big on the new conference with the non-football schools. Might end up being an overall win.

Reaction Score
It should be noted the tweet from the Tallahassee guy about UL followed by UConn and UC was deleted.

Reaction Score
I cannot imagine the ACC going to 16 with Notre Dame still out there.

Every other number makes sense on some level...13, 14 or 15, But 16, no.
It absolutely makes sense because Notre Dame is a monumental tease and won't be joining a conference any time soon. And even if they did, there's no chance it would be the ACC. They ought to worry about strengthening the conference overall and just be happy with the Irish deal they've already got.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It absolutely makes sense because Notre Dame is a monumental tease and won't be joining a conference any time soon. And even if they did, there's no chance it would be the ACC. They ought to worry about strengthening the conference overall and just be happy with the Irish deal they've already got.

Unfortunately, reality kicks sand in your face.

Notre Dame is already the +1 in the ACC. They're a member in all sports, save football, and that spot will be left open for them until they commit, they leave or the ACC ceases to exists.

None of those three scenarios will be realized any time soon.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, reality kicks sand in your face.

Notre Dame is already the +1 in the ACC. They're a member in all sports, save football, and that spot will be left open for them until they commit, they leave or the ACC ceases to exists.

Much in the way they were already the +1 for the Big East?? I'm with Amory on this one. The reason they are in the ACC is because they will be able to get more money and bowl tie-ins out of deal while remaining independent; a deal that seemingly only two conferences were dumb enough to set themselves up for (with a third possibly being the B12). The B1G would not do this, and hence, ND is not doing this there. I won't believe that ND will join a conference outside of the B1G until I actually see it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom