Allisha Gray Leaving UNC | The Boneyard

Allisha Gray Leaving UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
That was a nice quick edit there from Wbbfan1!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
While I certainly have no love for UNC.... I still hate to see talented players transfer out of the ACC :oops:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Should have included it, in my original post. Sorry.

BTW, I did post it prior to see your post :)

Just giving you a hard time - that's a good news find, thanks for sharing.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
And the 2018 WNBA draft just got potentially stronger

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Mavunga is the only one left from the 2013 #1 Recruiting Class of Diamond DeShields, Allisha Gray, Jessica Washington and Stephanie Mavunga. Great things were predicted when class was signed.

Muvunga could be next. With sanctions pending against UNC they should let these kids be immediately eligible.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Mavunga is the only one left from the 2013 #1 Recruiting Class of Diamond DeShields, Allisha Gray, Jessica Washington and Stephanie Mavunga. Great things were predicted when class was signed.
IMO that class achieve some of he greatness predicted. With Diamond the took down South Carolina #1 seed in NCAAs in 2014 and was ahead of Stanford at the half before losing by 9.
2015 without DD they lost to South Carolina in NCAA's by 2 points on the definition of a lucky shot.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
IMO that class achieve some of he greatness predicted. With Diamond the took down South Carolina #1 seed in NCAAs in 2014 and was ahead of Stanford at the half before losing by 9.
2015 without DD they lost to South Carolina in NCAA's by 2 points on the definition of a lucky shot.

If that game was anywhere other than Stanford's home floor.... UNC would have been in the Final 4 that season.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
She was UNC's leading scorer and started all of their games.

UNC BIO: http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209275254&DB_OEM_ID=3350

Huge Loss for UNC. Will she end up at Tenn with Diamond DeShields.

Tweet from Dan Olson:
Alisha Gray (5-10 SG Soph) released at North Carolina; 2 years left; contact Matt Huddleston (404-502-1752). @CGBR27 @espnW

Tennessee is looking at 2016 & beyond. Not looking at transfers. Only taken one in the past twenty years, but lately Tennessee is being connected to almost every transfer out there (Davis, Brown, and now Gray). Not sure why.

Very unlikely she ends up in Knoxville.

Wouldn't be shocked to hear about Mavunga transferring this week either.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tennessee is looking at 2016 & beyond. Not looking at transfers. Only taken one in the past twenty years, but lately Tennessee is being connected to almost every transfer out there (Davis, Brown, and now Gray). Not sure why.
The connection of Davis, Brown and Gray (Muvunga -TBD) to Tennessee is via Diamond DeShields. Come on, even Stevie Wonder could connect those dots.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
The connection of Davis, Brown and Gray (Muvunga -TBD) to Tennessee is via Diamond DeShields. Come on, even Stevie Wonder could connect those dots.

I know it's because of Diamond, I'm not an idiot. However, that doesn't negate the fact that Tennessee has take one transfer in the last 20 years. Transfers usually end up at Florida State.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Very unlikely she ends up in Knoxville.

Wouldn't be shocked to hear about Mavunga transferring this week either.
mtsuraider06, All team's focus for recruiting is looking at 2016 and beyond and transfers is something you can't necessarily anticipate. You say "unlikely" she ends up in Knoxville is that because 1) Tennessee would have no interest 2) Tennessee has no scholarships or roster space 3) Other?
Would you say the same if and when Muvunga becomes available?
IMO Gray is an upgrade over anyone on the current Tennessee roster not named Diamond at the 2&3. Adding Muvunga to your roster would make Tennessee favorites to win SEC and almost a lock for the FF.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
If Mavunga transferred, then yes, Tennessee should pursue her, because we need posts over guards.

I think Gray initiated the contact with Tennessee, Holly would talk to her and discuss things, but I don't think she would pursue it. Would much rather have a player for four years than two.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I know it's because of Diamond, I'm not an idiot. However, that doesn't negate the fact that Tennessee has take one transfer in the last 20 years. Transfers usually end up at Florida State.
Easy. I make it a habit not to dialogue with idiots so clearly you are not one.

Reaction Score
The problem with transferring to Tenn to play with DD is that in all likelihood she will only play 2 years before moving on to the pros. After her disappearing act at UNC would anyone trust her word about staying for a 5th year of school? That means only one year where they could play together.

And on another tack, could all these transfers be a result of academic scrutiny? Failure to meet academic eligibility is rarely, if ever, listed as a reason for a player leaving a school, but with the attention given to the UNC situation could it be that schools are closely monitoring the academic side of these athletes and are less inclined to use creative ways to keep them eligible?

Reactions: HGN

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
The problem with transferring to Tenn to play with DD is that in all likelihood she will only play 2 years before moving on to the pros. After her disappearing act at UNC would anyone trust her word about staying for a 5th year of school? That means only one year where they could play together.

And on another tack, could all these transfers be a result of academic scrutiny? Failure to meet academic eligibility is rarely, if ever, listed as a reason for a player leaving a school, but with the attention given to the UNC situation could it be that schools are closely monitoring the academic side of these athletes and are less inclined to use creative ways to keep them eligible?

Diamond isn't going anywhere. She is using her eligibility. That's not speculation.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If Gray wanted to play at TN..... TN would have to be idiots not to take her. She'd be the second best player on the roster.

Reaction Score
Diamond isn't going anywhere. She is using her eligibility. That's not speculation.

From you reputation I assume you got this from a source within the program and not DD herself. I only have to look at the Loyd situation to see that things change, and sometimes change quickly. DD's role model was Parker. Nuf said.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
From you reputation I assume you got this from a source within the program and not DD herself. I only have to look at the Loyd situation to see that things change, and sometimes change quickly. DD's role model was Parker. Nuf said.

Candace left because it was on Olympic year (2008), she was a guaranteed #1 pick, and had endorsement offers. She also wanted to start a family & get married, neither of which would happen had she stayed. Tennessee knew her freshman year that Candace would leave with her class, and Candace said it as well.

Diamond is a different situation all together. Also, Kaela Davis' role model was Candace, not Diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom