Alleyne - St Johns exhibition | The Boneyard

Alleyne - St Johns exhibition

Reaction Score
Maybe he isn’t going to get buried on the bench after all. Still don’t understand why he made the jump but still rooting for him. High scorer with 19 including a buzzer beating 3 to force overtime in win over Rutgers.

Reaction Score
But he only likely started because Dingle didn't play. He could beat out Taylor potentially.

Reaction Score
St. John's has a lot of shot creators: Dingle, Jenkins, Taylor and Luis, so an unselfish, versatile guard like Alleyne is super valuable to them.

He doesn't ever "need" the ball to be an effective two-way guard with the minutes he plays.

Reaction Score
If he considers himself a good player, I don't see the Cam or Alleyne logic. Alleyne joined our team when we already had Newton, Jackson, Diarra, Hawkins, at guard, and we were continuing to look for another shooter who became Joey, he knew he was in competition for minutes. He had a significant role and won a championship but might have played 5-10 minutes a game less than he reasonably could have expected or wanted. Then because he wants a bigger role, he leaves the team when Newton(?) and Diarra are the only returning guards, because we are in the portal for a shooter and as a returning 5th year player he feels squeezed for minutes by freshman arriving? (Had Newton even announced he was returning before Alleyne entered the portal). AND, the theory continues that we can't recruit Cam with Alleyne here even though we have the obvious need to replace Joey & Hawk. Unless Alleyne has said this, I suspect he had other motivations that were the real triggers and that Cam could be brought to the team even if Alleyne was here. I don't think we will miss a beat because Solo has come on so strong, but that wasn't a given last spring. Alleyne would have been a nice piece here, plus I thought he and Nika were an item.

Reaction Score
You don’t? He wanted a chance to have a big role on another team. Love the guy and respect his decision to move on; it is what it is
Yeah Hurley has alluded to it a few times. Once was during the season when he said some guys need to think of the team more and less about themselves. We could speculate on who he was speaking about but Alleyne definitely was one. Then Hurley has said a few times that Alleyne had 1 foot already in the portal before the season was finished and made light of the fact Alleyne entered the portal so quickly after the national championship game. Alleyne was a 3 year starter at Viriginia Tech and said he transferred to UConn to play a meaningful role on a better and more nationally prominent team. He was not happy to go from a 3 year starter to a bench role. It is what it is. Worked out for UConn on all fronts. Not mad at Alleyne at all and understand the decision he made.

Reaction Score
“It felt like a Big East Tournament game how all the fans were into it,” Alleyne, who finished with 19 points on 6-of-17 shooting, including 4-of-13 from deep, said of the Carnesecca crowd.

Umm, that's not exactly a good day. Good for him that he got enough time to shoot 17 shots.

Reaction Score
Will always have love for Alleyne and will miss those 2 pt shots from the elbow that he shot
like they were layups. In the tourney when the other team was on a run he knocked a few of them
down and when he did it changed momentum.

Reaction Score
“It felt like a Big East Tournament game how all the fans were into it,” Alleyne, who finished with 19 points on 6-of-17 shooting, including 4-of-13 from deep, said of the Carnesecca crowd.

Umm, that's not exactly a good day. Good for him that he got enough time to shoot 17 shots.

I mean, I guess if Pitino is running an offense where he shoots 13 3's a game, that's more opportunity than he was getting here.

But if he's going to be a 20-25 mpg 6th man type, that's really not much more than he was getting here, especially before Cam's arrival.

Whatever.

Reaction Score
Yeah Hurley has alluded to it a few times. Once was during the season when he said some guys need to think of the team more and less about themselves. We could speculate on who he was speaking about but Alleyne definitely was one. Then Hurley has said a few times that Alleyne had 1 foot already in the portal before the season was finished and made light of the fact Alleyne entered the portal so quickly after the national championship game. Alleyne was a 3 year starter at Viriginia Tech and said he transferred to UConn to play a meaningful role on a better and more nationally prominent team. He was not happy to go from a 3 year starter to a bench role. It is what it is. Worked out for UConn on all fronts. Not mad at Alleyne at all and understand the decision he made.

Can't imagine Hurley wasn't upfront with him about what his role on last year's team would be.

Reaction Score
Can't imagine Hurley wasn't upfront with him about what his role on last year's team would be.
I’m sure he was, and I’m sure it initially was intended to be a bit more than it ended up being. Part of it was Alleyne struggling a bit, and part of it was Joey C being better than advertised.

Reaction Score
I mean, I guess if Pitino is running an offense where he shoots 13 3's a game, that's more opportunity than he was getting here.

But if he's going to be a 20-25 mpg 6th man type, that's really not much more than he was getting here, especially before Cam's arrival.

Whatever.
He wasn’t getting 25 min here.

Reaction Score
Yep. We wouldn’t have Cam if he stayed. Cam is the better player.
You don’t know this. Guy in year 2 of a system already a proven 3 point shooter

We can be plenty excited about Cam coming in but it’s different from what having Allyene coming back would be for the team

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It is what it is
I wish him the best. There are always 2 sides to a story and the truth lies somewhere in between.
DH is not always forthright and kids sometimes only hear what they want to hear.
He won a NC and decided he wanted to test other waters
Good for him.
I reserve judgment on Cam until he plays a few NBE games

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
It is impossible to make everyone happy. If he feels better about a bigger role maybe with StJohns then he should do what he feels is best for him. He does have the look of an assassin and would not be surprised if he makes a few big shots and plays against us this year when we play. I always liked him and personally I thought we could have found him more minutes. Would not have been easy but he defended rebounded handles ok and made open threes and got to the foul line. He had a very good year.

Reaction Score
He jacked up 13 threes and was a rim out from being 3-13 and missing the shot to send to OT. He made the shot, let's give him credit for that, but let's not pretend this was even anything close to an efficient outing. Wish him luck, be happy for everyone, and let's move on down the road. Let the Johnies have fun with mr 4-13.

Reaction Score
It is impossible to make everyone happy. If he feels better about a bigger role maybe with StJohns then he should do what he feels is best for him. He does have the look of an assassin and would not be surprised if he makes a few big shots and plays against us this year when we play. I always liked him and personally I thought we could have found him more minutes. Would not have been easy but he defended rebounded handles ok and made open threes and got to the foul line. He had a very good year.
It worked out ok and he really struggled the first half of the year but turned it on during the 2nd half and tournament. Whose minutes would you have given to him?

Reaction Score
He jacked up 13 threes and was a rim out from being 3-13 and missing the shot to send to OT. He made the shot, let's give him credit for that, but let's not pretend this was even anything close to an efficient outing. Wish him luck, be happy for everyone, and let's move on down the road. Let the Johnies have fun with mr 4-13.

“Mr 4-13” made some huge shots for us both from 3 and midrange. And to top it off when on the floor was most likely one of our best on man defenders consistently and a tough physical presence. That will be missed like it or not. But posting about doesn’t mean we haven’t moved on, just appreciating his impact on a national championship year. You might want to try it.

Reaction Score
“Mr 4-13” made some huge shots for us both from 3 and midrange. And to top it off when on the floor was most likely one of our best on man defenders consistently and a tough physical presence. That will be missed like it or not. But posting about doesn’t mean we haven’t moved on, just appreciating his impact on a national championship year. You might want to try it.
I appreciate the hell out of his time as a Husky don't get that twisted. Also happy for him in his new role as he was not going to see much time on this roster barring injury.........4-13 is still 30%

Reaction Score

The way yarders apply one game's worth of shooting to the overall abilities and worth of a player never ceases to amaze and amuse me...

Horrible take about a great kid who was an integral piece to us winning a national championship last year.

Move on.

Reaction Score
Shoutout Nahiem and you’ll never catch me saying anything bad about his decision to transfer. He got some deserved heat throughout the season, and he bounced back to become a key piece of a national championship team. It wasn’t the future fit he wanted and he decided to transfer. Salute, thank you, best of luck!

It’s an exhibition where they were missing Dingle. He won’t get 13 threes for any normal game. Pitino loaded up and I’m not sure what Alleyne’s MPG will be, but I hope it’s a lot. If it’s not and the conversation becomes “why did Alleyne transfer just to sit on the bench” vs “why did Pitino poach a conference rival who wanted more minutes, and then recruit over him and park him on the bench?”, I’ll take Alleyne’s side every time

Reaction Score
The way yarders apply one game's worth of shooting to the overall abilities and worth of a player never ceases to amaze and amuse me...

Horrible take about a great kid who was an integral piece to us winning a national championship last year.

Move on.
Amazed and amused.... ohhhh the drama on a Monday morning! lmao

The Rock Applause GIF

If you are NH are you excited about this performance? You think RP was happy with that output? I want nothing but the best for the kid. Grateful for his time with the huskies and his contributions to an amazing run. Honestly speaking.....this performance is going to cost him more PT than it made him. You can't dominate the ball and take that many shots consistently and stay on the floor long term at 6-17 and 4-13. 100% it's one game (only real point you made and a great one) but people aren't seeing the details here and just see the 19 points.....all I'm saying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom