Allen Iverson Gives Shoutout To Kevin Ollie During Hall of Fame Acceptance Speec | The Boneyard

Allen Iverson Gives Shoutout To Kevin Ollie During Hall of Fame Acceptance Speec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
TheUConnBlog ‏@TheUConnBlog 6h6 hours ago
VIDEO: Allen Iverson Gives Shoutout To Kevin Ollie During Hall of Fame Acceptance Speech
VIDEO: Allen Iverson Gives Shoutout To Kevin Ollie During Hall of Fame Acceptance Speech

Cr9kiVQXYAAWs3f.jpg

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Was at Samuels at the HOF having a couple after golf and there were Sixer fans everywhere trying to get a glimpse of AI when he arrived. Saw Draymon Green as well as Shaq and AI.
Haven't been in years. What's Samuels? Thought they had a Maxes there once.

Reaction Score
Haven't been in years. What's Samuels? Thought they had a Maxes there once.

Samuels is a bar/restaurant in the HOF facility - nice place, pretty decent food which I think is viewed more as a drinking establishment. They also have a Max's as well as a PlanB. And top it off at Cold Stone for a cone. They've made that area really nice with the Hilton Garden Inn there across the parking lot which is connected to an Uno's also. When we have our company golf outing all of our guys as well as the vendors say at the HGI so we can have a nice safe night of partying and do a little hopping. Fun area especially Thursday on.

Reaction Score
Durant, LeBron, AI and on and on. Wouldn't you think KO could easily land his top one or two or three recruiting targets every year, easily? He not only knows the best of the best but they praise him. And while he has landed good classes, he has become a bit of an icon in the game at a relatively young age so I would think he would land iconic classes. Maybe this is the year? I hope so. He deserves it.

He sure as hell deserves more than a guy like Sean Miller who has no national championsips, no final four appearances, no NBA experience, mentored no icons of the game and yet has landed a large number of McD AAs in a short period of time, many of which were Top 10ish recruits. He has landed 7 in 7 years at Arizona and already has another one for next year. Calhoun landed, I believe, 10 in his 26 years at UConn, just as a comparison, and isn't Gilbert Ollie's first? Dude deserves more. You listening Hami??? If AI, LeBron and KD all think he is great coach, what are you waiting for?

Reaction Score
Durant, LeBron, AI and on and on. Wouldn't you think KO could easily land his top one or two or three recruiting targets every year, easily? He not only knows the best of the best but they praise him. And while he has landed good classes, he has become a bit of an icon in the game at a relatively young age so I would think he would land iconic classes. Maybe this is the year? I hope so. He deserves it.

He sure as hell deserves more than a guy like Sean Miller who has no national championsips, no final four appearances, no NBA experience, mentored no icons of the game and yet has landed a large number of McD AAs in a short period of time, many of which were Top 10ish recruits. He has landed 7 in 7 years at Arizona and already has another one for next year. Calhoun landed, I believe, 10 in his 26 years at UConn, just as a comparison, and isn't Gilbert Ollie's first? Dude deserves more. You listening Hami??? If AI, LeBron and KD all think he is great coach, what are you waiting for?
Sean Miller has one distinct recruiting advantage:
55d58c769fa0f.jpg

Reaction Score

Because the coach is only one factor in a recruit's decision making.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Samuels is a bar/restaurant in the HOF facility - nice place, pretty decent food which I think is viewed more as a drinking establishment. They also have a Max's as well as a PlanB. And top it off at Cold Stone for a cone. They've made that area really nice with the Hilton Garden Inn there across the parking lot which is connected to an Uno's also. When we have our company golf outing all of our guys as well as the vendors say at the HGI so we can have a nice safe night of partying and do a little hopping. Fun area especially Thursday on.
I think I gained five pounds just reading that itinerary.

Reaction Score

Because no Bunky. Come on man.

Reaction Score
Because the coach is only one factor in a recruit's decision making.
Sure but, for the top kids who have NBA aspirations, the coach is the overwhelmingly biggest factor.

And UConn has enough hot girls.

Are there any other factors?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
If you're human and heterosexual, that should be an advantage, a real one...

As for Ollie, I watched and thought it was pretty cool, except that Iverson literally named every person he's ever met or thought about... He named a group of rappers and musicians he listened to at one point, haha - I love AI, and that's him...but man.

Reaction Score
The amount of respect KO commands across the NBA and college is amazing. From Jalen rose saying on ESPN he'd play for KO, to lebron, KD and no AI shootouts, to his being voted player most likely to be a great coach years ago, to being asked to come to team USA for the last few years etc.

He's the kind of man you're happy to have as a coach, even if he struggles at times as a younger guy.

Reaction Score
You really need to spend some time in Tucson or Austin or Tallahassee.
Or you need to spend time looking up the definition of "enough". These kids need to work on their game and stay academically eligible. There are only so many chicks you can have sex with in the year or two these guys will be spending in college on their way to the NBA. And there is the whole STD thing to think about too. UConn has enough to offer. None of these guys need 10,000 hot chicks to choose from. Even Wilt took a lifetime to approach those numbers. For average college guys, however, a deeper pool matters.

Reaction Score
Paesano's posts are so bad. This idea that KO and UConn are the obvious and only choice for anyone serious about their game is just so silly.

AI's speech was great. Love Bubba Chuck. One of a kind and I'm glad to see him looking healthy.

Reaction Score

It isn't like Ollie hasn't been recruiting at a high level. He's not Cal or K, but it would be unreasonable to expect him to recruit at that level when he's been coaching for less than five years. The fact that Durant, LeBron, AI, etc. are endorsing him is definitely a legitimate advantage, but I'm not sure it matters as much as saying you coached John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Jabari Parker, Anthony Davis, KAT, etc. Sure, those guys were going to the league no matter where they went, but if you're a recruit who wants the fastest path to millions, you're not taking any chances.

If these two things happen (especially the first one), I think Ollie will be able to match ammunition with anybody on the trail:

1. He starts consistently pumping players into the NBA. Kemba and Drummond both help, since he coached both of them. If somebody like Durham blows up and becomes a household name, that helps enormously.

2. We move to a P5 conference. This is something that I think gets overstated in terms of importance to recruiting, but it definitely helps a lot.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Iverson in the HoF is another feather in RU's bball history cap. Did you know that Iverson played basketball against Rutger's? It's almost impossible to tell the story of Big East basketball without mentioning all the players who played against Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Sure but, for the top kids who have NBA aspirations, the coach is the overwhelmingly biggest factor.

And UConn has enough hot girls.

Are there any other factors?
Yes. Where should I start?

I'll agree with you that the coach is usually the most important factor. But just saying the coach and his personality doesn't cover everything about a coach. For example, what kind of style does he play and does it fit what I want to do? How can he get me better? What has he done with other players similar to me? How many guys has that coach help get to the NBA? There are a myriad of factors just with the coach.

And having hot girls is over stated. I think the weather is probably more of a factor. Most kids like the warm weather of these schools that have hot girls.

Reaction Score
I think P5 would help tremendously.

help what? his recruiting is going fine, might reach and say its going magnificent. He is legit coming off a top 5/6 class in the country.

Reaction Score
help what? his recruiting is going fine, might reach and say its going magnificent. He is legit coming off a top 5/6 class in the country.
I concur James it is going fine.With KO being able to dangle the possibilities of playing Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, IS, just thinking how much better it could get.

Reaction Score
I concur James it is going fine.With KO being able to dangle the possibilities of playing Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, IS, just thinking how much better it could get.
Definitely, that's a sexier schedule. I just think the teams fans shouldn't be bickering about the level of comp when we aren't exactly wiping the floor with current comp level.

Reaction Score
Yes. Where should I start?

I'll agree with you that the coach is usually the most important factor. But just saying the coach and his personality doesn't cover everything about a coach. For example, what kind of style does he play and does it fit what I want to do? How can he get me better? What has he done with other players similar to me? How many guys has that coach help get to the NBA? There are a myriad of factors just with the coach.

And having hot girls is over stated. I think the weather is probably more of a factor. Most kids like the warm weather of these schools that have hot girls.
I was being facetious but I don't disagree with anything you said. I think, in the end, the single biggest factor by far is, "which coach will prepare me for and get me into the NBA." And, to be clear, I am speaking about the bluest of the blue chip kids. Kids that are less likely to play in the NBA are more likely to weigh other factors more heavily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom