Bench:
Guards: Richard Hamilton, Ben Gordon, Jeremy Lamb, Khalid El-Amin
Forwards: Emeka Okafor, Hasheem Thabeet

Head Coach: Jim Calhoun
Assistant: Kevin Ollie

Manager: Jonathan Mendeldove

Walk-ons:
Shabazz Napier, Ryan Boatright, Doron Sheffer, Chris Smith, AJ Price

Recruiter: Tate George (Listen, if the man can put together a Ponzi scheme then he can certainly find a way to bring in 5 star recruits with some cash)

D

Deleted member 3149

They played bball at UConn prior to 1990.

Cliff Robinson is the only one from before 90 that could crack the squad. Other than Chris smith who I have .

Reaction Score
Rip over Rudy

Emeka over Drummond (subject to change a few years down the road, if we're using NBA success)

Donyell has to be on the team, even though I know he missed the two foul shots. If we're being honest with positions, he'd be the starting 4, but I'm okay with Caron playing 4 in a smaller lineup.

If NBA means anything, Cliffy should get a spot on the bench.

Do we go back in the day and consider Toby Kimball or Wes "the Poughkeepsie Popper" B. (maybe the only guy who would ever make you prefer to spell Poughkeepsie over his name)?

Reaction Score
1. Kemba
2. Ray
3. Rip
4. Donyell
5. Emeka

Chris Smith, El-Amin, Cliff, Ben, Thabeet, Caron, Henefeld on the bench

Rudy and Drummond wouldn't even make the team.

I'm not old enough to have seen any of the pre Calhoun players but that is my list.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
1. Kemba
2. Ray
3. Rip
4. Donyell
5. Emeka

Chris Smith, El-Amin, Cliff, Ben, Thabeet, Caron, Henefeld on the bench

Rudy and Drummond wouldn't even make the team.

I'm not old enough to have seen any of the pre Calhoun players but that is my list.
That's the starting five for the Calhoun era, no doubt.

Reaction Score
We do this every year, and there will NEVER be a consensus starting 5. For me, it's Taliek Brown somewhere on the team, he was a tank, loved the guy when he played so much, a true warrior, just like Butler. I know that Kemba will go down as one of the the best PG to wear a Uconn jersey, but Taliek has to rate up there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QPWMJ6NT4xw

Reaction Score
1. Kemba Walker
2. Ray Allen
3. Rudy Gay
4. Caron Butler
5. Andre Drummond

Bench:
Guards: Richard Hamilton, Ben Gordon, Jeremy Lamb, Khalid El-Amin
Forwards: Emeka Okafor, Hasheem Thabeet

Head Coach: Jim Calhoun
Assistant: Kevin Ollie

Manager: Jonathan Mendeldove

Walk-ons:
Shabazz Napier, Ryan Boatright, Doron Sheffer, Chris Smith, AJ Price

Recruiter: Tate George (Listen, if the man can put together a Ponzi scheme then he can certainly find a way to bring in 5 star recruits with some cash)

Where's Donyell?? And that's just for 89-now..............

Kimball, Balosuknia, Hanson, Foster.........there were some real good players here many years ago, maybe not Ray, Emeka and Kemba but Toby Kimball had more of an impact than Andre Drummond ever did!!!!

Reaction Score
And then there's the rifleman Rashad Anderson who could hit any big game shot you needed, you can't live without a pure shooter with a quick release like his. He was a game changer, not a starter, but a piece of the puzzle.

Reaction Score
Where do you put Jeff Adrien? A muscle man down low, an enforcer and meat grinder. Mikesol, you bast*rd, you're going to keep me up all night thinking of all the great kids who wore that national flag blue jersey.

Reaction Score
Jerome Dyson, Mr. Smooth, he'd loose some teeth and them take it to the hole.

Reaction Score
I think the starting five of Kemba-Ray-Rip-Donyell-Emeka is pretty much etched in stone if we only take college careers into account. All five were first-team All-Americans and finished second/third in the consensus National POY voting (to Jimmer Fredette, Marcus Camby, Elton Brand, Glenn Robinson, and Jameer Nelson, respectively). I think Grant Hill was second and Donyell third in 1994, if I remember right.

Rudy was first team A-A from AP, but not a NPOY candidate, and Caron came on a little too late for NPOY (a third year might have been the difference for either of them). Thabeet was second team A-A and doesn't really have any advantage over Emeka, other than height. Ben, Khalid, and AJ were second fiddles on their teams in perception, if not actual value, and Smitty has the "put us on the map" factor, but the Kemba-Ray backcourt combo really isn't touchable.

Also, if we were putting together an actual team to play real games, someone has to make room for Ricky Moore, just in case someone on the other team needs to be shut down. We won't have trouble scoring.

Reaction Score
I think the starting five of Kemba-Ray-Rip-Donyell-Emeka is pretty much etched in stone if we only take college careers into account. All five were first-team All-Americans and finished second/third in the consensus National POY voting (to Jimmer Fredette, Marcus Camby, Elton Brand, Glenn Robinson, and Jameer Nelson, respectively). I think Grant Hill was second and Donyell third in 1994, if I remember right.

Rudy was first team A-A from AP, but not a NPOY candidate, and Caron came on a little too late for NPOY (a third year might have been the difference for either of them). Thabeet was second team A-A and doesn't really have any advantage over Emeka, other than height. Ben, Khalid, and AJ were second fiddles on their teams in perception, if not actual value, and Smitty has the "put us on the map" factor, but the Kemba-Ray backcourt combo really isn't touchable.

Also, if we were putting together an actual team to play real games, someone has to make room for Ricky Moore, just in case someone on the other team needs to be shut down. We won't have trouble scoring.

You can't put Donyell in the 4 spot, unless you believe he was the best power forward Uconn has ever had.

Reaction Score
You can't put Donyell in the 4 spot, unless you believe he was the best power forward Uconn has ever had.

Which he is (unless you want to call Toby Kimball a 4 and put him there - then we have the different eras argument). Donyell averaged 25 and 9 as a junior while shooting over 50 percent and blocking over three shots a game - it was the most dominant single season in the JC era.

I like some of the guys we've had at that spot like Freeman and Adrien, or even an undersized 5 like Rod Sellers, but none of them could touch Donyell at his best. All you could do if you wanted to take Donyell out is call Caron a 4 and go small, but he didn't play the 4 at UConn - we had Ed Saunders, Johnnie Selvie and Mike Hayes in those two years.

Reaction Score
And then there's the rifleman Rashad Anderson who could hit any big game shot you needed, you can't live without a pure shooter with a quick release like his. He was a game changer, not a starter, but a piece of the puzzle.
Agree. I was always a big Rashad Anderson fan. We have not had a player like him since he left.

Reaction Score

Donyell's stats at UConn were ridiculoussssssssssss. He was the best PF UConn has ever had. The starting five that is "etched in stone" is true if you factor in longevity of careers. I would love to find a place for Caron and Rashad on that team but you cannot argue with that starting five.

Reaction Score
Any all time UConn team not listing Johnnie Selvie is bogus.

Reaction Score
Rudy moves ways own the list. He was very good at UConn. He developed in the NBA.

Reaction Score
You could make an argument that Shabazz this season has been much better then Lamb was last season.

Reaction Score
The mount rushmore of uconn is undebatable:

EMEKA
DONYELL
RIP
RAY
KEMBA

those are the greatest huskies ever and thats only taking college career into consideration.

Reaction Score
Rudy moves ways own the list. He was very good at UConn. He developed in the NBA.

Wow, botched that post. Meant to say Rudy wasn't very good at UConn and developed in the NBA. Without thinking about it deeply, I'd probably put Rudy in the 20s somewhere.

Reaction Score
Donyell's stats at UConn were ridiculoussssssssssss. He was the best PF UConn has ever had. The starting five that is "etched in stone" is true if you factor in longevity of careers. I would love to find a place for Caron and Rashad on that team but you cannot argue with that starting five.

Donyell may have had awesome stats, but he wasn't a true 4, he was flexible to play four different pisitions, but he was a wing IMO. I unddrstand the desire to list the him, but if you are going to ask what is the all time uconn team, then make sure that player played that position formost of his time at uconn and not ocasional spot duty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom