All-time JC transfer UConn team? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

All-time JC transfer UConn team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthTampaBill

20" Neck
Reaction Score
Wow. What a pretty crappy group. Almost no impact at all.

I guess the theme is don't get too excited about transfers

Reaction Score
Duncan Idaho - BINGO................wow I never even realized Jimmy Foster was a JC transfer quite honestly but the kid could play. Best lefty guard they're ever had easily and really a gifted player. Pretty much go them into the tourney that year and beat Hofstra and lost to the Johnnies right?

Thanks for that one............

But Waqy the topic was JC transfer so Aleksinas is not included in the argument.
With apologies to Waqy, Foster led the team in scoring both years, how can you not be more of an impact? He was on the ballot for the all century team. He was better than Tate but Tate hit "The Shot" . He was on good teams, not good BE level teams.
You mentioned Delagrange. I am from the New London County area . His high school team was the biggest I have ever seen especially from that time. Not prep school but high school. They were 6-8 across the front and 6-4 on the back. Delagrange went out to CA for JC, Santa Monica JC or LA Pearce.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
With apologies to Waqy, Foster led the team in scoring both years, how can you not be more of an impact?

I agree that Foster was great and had an impact, I had forgotten about him first pass. But there is a difference between being on a team that went to the Final 8 of the NIT's and a team that went to the final 8 of the NCAA's in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I agree that Foster was great and had an impact, I had forgotten about him first pass. But there is a difference between being on a team that went to the Final 8 of the NIT's and a team that went to the final 8 of the NCAA's in my opinion.
Don't sleep on Willie McCloud. He wasn't a great basketball player, but he was a phenomenal athlete and the first elite BE level uber-athlete that Big East era UConn ever had. Willie was a big part of Calhoun transitioning UConn into a fighting, lots of 6'5" guys who could run, jump and defend type team that would always give opponents a tough game. Plus Willie shot a crazy high percentage particularly given that his 8-foot jumpers often reached 15' at their zenith (think Tim Coles when facing Ewing). His vertical wasn't too far below that.

Reaction Score
Thanks deacon.....agree on Willie but also Al Fredericks similar players. Hit the 8-10 foot bankers at a nice % and although smallish for their positions, could still come off the bench for these husky teams and add some speak no doubt. Broxton was also a very good high post shooter and had some game.........

Jimmy Foster was a better player than Tate but TG had a nice finish to his career with a real good team......I liked Chuck Waq, and I wasn't hammering you for your flashback, good stuff. If that team had guards it could have been one of UConn's best. Bobby Dulin just wasn't going to bring that team to the promised land although he was decent. But give them Earl Kelley and they would haven been special with McKay, Corny and Chuck.....

Reaction Score
Covington "Cup" Cormier.
Remember Cup very well... stayed in my dorm back in the day... Cool brotha... Problem with him from what I was told back then was that he would embarrass the starters in practice... Nobody could stop him... but when the lights went on, in an official game, JC didn't let him get that much PT... We all know how JC is... You make a mistake, he will pull you out of the game in a heartbeat...My guess is Cup didn't have as much passion on D as he did on O... JC likes intensity on D....

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score
Let's not forget Rapid Richie Ashmeade, or Sam the Man Fuenches - tho I 'spect everybody has ;)

Reaction Score
Was Ashmeade a JC transfer? Went on to RU after right?

Funches was form Mississippi and was right out of HS.........what about Brian Buckelew then or the kid Flemming who went on to the Richmond Spiders?? LOL

Reaction Score
Remember Cup very well... stayed in my dorm back in the day... Cool brotha... Problem with him from what I was told back then was that he would embarrass the starters in practice... Nobody could stop him... but when the lights went on, in an official game, JC didn't let him get that much PT... We all know how JC is... You make a mistake, he will pull you out of the game in a heartbeat...My guess is Cup didn't have as much passion on D as he did on O... JC likes intensity on D....

He might have had some talent, but he was no point guard.

Reaction Score
Was Ashmeade a JC transfer? Went on to RU after right?

Funches was form Mississippi and was right out of HS.........what about Brian Buckelew then or the kid Flemming who went on to the Richmond Spiders?? LOL

Wasn't Ashmeade a prop 48 kid? Sat out his freshman year.

Reaction Score
Was Dion Carson a JUCO transfer? I know EJ Harrison came from a non D1 school. How about Shamon Tooles? I could never figure out where he came from. One day he was just on the team.

I'm too young to remember players prior to JC but I would saying Selvie was the best by far then Chuck. Mike Hayes and Monquencio were good enough to be part of the rotation.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
..what about Brian Buckelew then or the kid Flemming who went on to the Richmond Spiders?? LOL

I think BB was a straight recruit. Had one of my favorite player quotes of all time, " My range is 30-feet and in"

Reaction Score
I think BB was a straight recruit. Had one of my favorite player quotes of all time, " My range is 30-feet and in"

Kid could shoot it no doubt.......saw him at the Field House once drilling them from everywhere.......Fleming also had great range and proved it later at Richmond.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The best and most productive JC transfer UConn ever had, hands down was Jimmy Foster.

I don't know if this is an inside joke or serious, but can someone clue me in to Foster because I'm not searching .pdf;s on Uconn's site to find any info.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't know if this is an inside joke or serious, but can someone clue me in to Foster because I'm not searching .pdf;s on Uconn's site to find any info.

No joke. He put on a show in the NIT early-70's. Next game Dee Rowe puts on a stall and let BCU comeback from double figures down to win on a late jumper. Played in the ABA for awhile.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No joke. He put on a show in the NIT early-70's. Next game Dee Rowe puts on a stall and let BCU comeback from double figures down to win on a late jumper. Played in the ABA for awhile.

Thanks. I did find a website called uconnhoopsegends and found a good write up on him.

I'm still not sure if this is an all-time Jim Calhouns (JC) transfer team thread, Junior College (JC) thread or a combo of both. From what I read it sounded like Foster had played during Jim Calhoun's time. Looks like he played a few years before I remember Uconn hoops (Corny Thompson, Mike McKay timeframe).

Here's a great quote by Foster as to why he chose Uconn and Dee Rowe.

“I liked his style. He was a fatherly figure. He never yelled. He was so smooth. He reminded me of Paul Newman, a smooth operator. He taught us how to dress, carry ourselves and speak professionally. He protected us and at the same time cultivated us. He was just one of the best people I have ever met in my life. Dee Rowe was the father of what we have today. He built that program and Coach Calhoun tweaked it.” The UConn program at the time presented a good opportunity for Jim to play. It was a good team, not senior dominated and Jim could be a part of that.

http://www.uconnhooplegends.com/menslegends/FosterJim.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01