All-time JC transfer UConn team? | The Boneyard

All-time JC transfer UConn team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm trying to think of all the good Junior College tranfers we've had over the years, even prior to JC, who have had nice careers in Storrs.

Al Fredericks
Willie McCloud
Ray Broxton
Eddie Williams
Mike Hayes
Monquencio Hardnett
Spider Ursery

There's more (and easy one's I'm sure) but I'm old and my memory blows.......help me fill this out so we can pick the all-time team???

Reaction Score
I'm trying to think of all the good Junior College tranfers we've had over the years, even prior to JC, who have had nice careers in Storrs.

Al Fredericks
Willie McCloud
Ray Broxton
Eddie Williams
Mike Hayes
Monquencio Hardnett
Spider Ursery

There's more (and easy one's I'm sure) but I'm old and my memory blows.......help me fill this out so we can pick the all-time team???

Johnny Selvie belongs on every JC list

Reaction Score

Al Fredericks
Willie McCloud
Ray Broxton
Eddie Williams
Mike Hayes
Monquencio Hardnett
Spider Ursery

Monquencio was great. I remember that thunderous slam he had against Florida ST(?). Bill Raftery almost had a stroke.

Reaction Score
Have to agree with Stick, Big Charles was a part of bringing a NC to Storrs! Loved his heart.Mr. C should have redshirted him so we could have used his this year!!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't believe Eddie Williams was a JUCO. IIRC, he enrolled after a military stint.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Have to agree with Stick, Big Charles was a part of bringing a NC to Storrs! Loved his heart.Mr. C should have redshirted him so we could have used his this year!!
Chuck got screwed by the NCAA out of a year.

Reaction Score
I think the word 'great' is being thrown around a little too much on this thread.
Just beacuse Joe Schmo had a career night against VMI in a December blowout doesnt make him some great JC transfer!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
What about Ed Nelson? I always liked Ed, I realize that me liking Ed doesn't make him great.

Reaction Score
Chuck is one of my favorite huskies. He wasn't the best player, and was frustrating as hell to watch sometimes but he gave it 110% every night, brought home a big east and national championship, and loved to be a part of UCONN basketball more than anything...this video will never get old for me

http://www.bigeast.org/BIGEASTTV/On...l-Championship-Interview-Charles-Okwandu.aspx
How about The Morris Mountain, Chuck Aleksinas (sp ?). He transferred from Kentucky after his freshman year. I believe UK won the national championship the year he was a freshman. Not a great career at UConn, but he was a solid contributor .

Reaction Score
How about The Morris Mountain, Chuck Aleksinas (sp ?). He transferred from Kentucky after his freshman year. I believe UK won the national championship the year he was a freshman. Not a great career at UConn, but he was a solid contributor .
My fault, we are talking about JC not transfers. I always liked his nickname, The Morris Mountain. Another old school name I'm thinking of is John DellaGrange (sp). But I am not sure if he was a jhuco or transfer.

Reaction Score
I thought the same, I just lumped transfers in with JUCOs, why I have no idea.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think those are the only two that made real impact.
There was a third who made a real impact (although it was far from positive). I won't go any further beyond the situation helping make someone who is still very involved with the program the quality man that he is.

Reaction Score
I think the word 'great' is being thrown around a little too much on this thread.
Just beacuse Joe Schmo had a career night against VMI in a December blowout doesnt make him some great JC transfer!

Who used "great"?? I see "nice careers" and stuff but not great. Help me find that!

Reaction Score
Dellagrange I believe was actually from BC while Ed Nelson (GTech) and Chuck (Kentucky) were also Div 1 transfers and not JC guys..........

Waquoit are you that young not to remember the others mentioned that Selvie and Chuck were the only 2 that made a real impact?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Waquoit are you that young not to remember the others mentioned that Selvie and Chuck were the only 2 that made a real impact?

I forgot about Jimmy Foster and the Morris Mtn. They certainly made an impact, not to the extent of the other two. But Chuck O. and Johnny-time started for teams that made deep runs into the Big Dance

Reaction Score
Duncan Idaho - BINGO................wow I never even realized Jimmy Foster was a JC transfer quite honestly but the kid could play. Best lefty guard they're ever had easily and really a gifted player. Pretty much go them into the tourney that year and beat Hofstra and lost to the Johnnies right?

Thanks for that one............

But Waqy the topic was JC transfer so Aleksinas is not included in the argument.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

If only he worked as hard as Chuck O. He could have been my least favorite player. Refused to get down low on offense, settled for taking jumpers that were better taken by Corny. Corny got grief for his decreasing scoring average. A lot of that is due to the Morris Mountian. Chuck took Corny's shots on O and didn't hit the boards on D. No accident that Corny had his best year scoring when Jeff Carr was there to do the dirty work in the blocks. My lasting memory of Chuck was when the Big East tournament in Hartford. Chris Mullen makes a jumper to go up two with just a few seconds left. Enough time left for a decent shot. But Chuck gets the outlet pass just past mid-court (the fact that Chuck was at mid-court for an outlet pass intead of getting a rebound is telling, IMO). He has the ball and he looks up at the rim, he's gonna go for it. Here he comes! We're sitting behind the hoop and start yelling "No! Chuck No!" But Chuck is undeterred, he's going all the way. David Russell smoothly slides in front of him, takes the easy charge as Chuck throws up a brick. Game over. Later I read in the paper how Chuck thinks he has a good chance in the NBA because in college, "I saved my knees."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But Waqy the topic was JC transfer so Aleksinas is not included in the argument.

Oh, right. So I guess my Chuck flashback is really off-topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom