OT: - All Rise | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: All Rise

Reaction Score
That's so Yankee fan. Answering an accusation of living in the past by doubling down on the past.

Speaking of Old Timers, the only Yankees who remember winning a Series are old timers. Wasn't the last title in 2000?:rolleyes:

Of course Boston fans don't want to talk history. It reminds them of that annoying 80+ year drought they would sooner forget.

Wasn't this thread supposed to be about a rookie setting a record? So why do Red Sox fans feel the need to ridicule, berate and generally "rain on the Yankee parade" whenever anything positive about the any Yankee is mentioned? Why is it that Boston fans hate the Yankees? The Sox have admittedly been the better team over the last dozen or so years but that isn't enough for them, they have to rub Yankee fans noses in it and turn any discussion into petty bickering and outright insults. If you go to NYC and ask the fans that live there about Boston you will get very little of the vitriolic hatred that permeates Beantown. Sure, they think it's a great rivalry but there are more New Yorkers who will say that the biggest rival to the Yankees is the Mets, despite playing in different leagues than the Red Sox. I can remember a stretch of years when the Yankees' biggest rivalry was with Baltimore, in the Weaver/Palmer/Brooks era. But in Boston it's always been only one enemy, the "Evil Empire". They need an arch-evil foe to justify themselves as righteous and heroic. Reminds me of a lot of cults.

Reaction Score
The Mick would have hit 800 homeruns if he abstained from bad stuff. The Sox would have not had an 80 year DROUGHT if they had competent ownership. Never mind calling Yawkey a rascist he did not know how to run a ballclub and was a cheapskate to boot. If Steinbrenner had purchased the Sox in 1970 the Curse would have ended shortly thereafter1!!
!!!!!

Reaction Score
As a lifelong Yankee fan (genetic defect...my father was Bronx-born), I have been treated to a multitude of opportunities to celebrate their historic dominance. I've also taken perverse pleasure in the unending chorus of Yankee-hatred coming from devotees of less successful franchises, which is just about everyone else. I know and understand jealousy when I see it, as I do in the landscape of the last twenty-plus years of WCBB. UConn hatred is rooted in the same dynamic. Folks, quite understandably, hate dynastic success, unless they happen to be fans of the dynasties in question.

Reaction Score
My dad, who lived on the Grand Concourse for awhile when he was growing up, brought me to the Stadium from our Long Island home in the early 60s and I picked up a bobble-head doll. I went home and promptly painted "7" on the back. I still have it. I can roll off the names and numbers of each Yankee starter from back then, but no on compared to the Mick.

Interestingly, my other favorite athlete was Bill Bradley (I wore #42 -- which he wore at Princeton -- as often as I could.) Maybe I was drawn to the fact that while a good athlete, he was not as naturally gifted as many and worked tirelessly to get to his level. Also, the whole scholar-athlete thing.

Mick, of course, was no saint and that probably also led to a shortened career. But they did have one thing in common...they loved the sports they played and competed with blinders when they were in their games.

Dillion77- - I was brought up in the Bronx at 1930 Grand Concourse, where did your Dad live?

Reaction Score
Of course Boston fans don't want to talk history. It reminds them of that annoying 80+ year drought they would sooner forget.

Wasn't this thread supposed to be about a rookie setting a record? So why do Red Sox fans feel the need to ridicule, berate and generally "rain on the Yankee parade" whenever anything positive about the any Yankee is mentioned? Why is it that Boston fans hate the Yankees? The Sox have admittedly been the better team over the last dozen or so years but that isn't enough for them, they have to rub Yankee fans noses in it and turn any discussion into petty bickering and outright insults. If you go to NYC and ask the fans that live there about Boston you will get very little of the vitriolic hatred that permeates Beantown. Sure, they think it's a great rivalry but there are more New Yorkers who will say that the biggest rival to the Yankees is the Mets, despite playing in different leagues than the Red Sox. I can remember a stretch of years when the Yankees' biggest rivalry was with Baltimore, in the Weaver/Palmer/Brooks era. But in Boston it's always been only one enemy, the "Evil Empire". They need an arch-evil foe to justify themselves as righteous and heroic. Reminds me of a lot of cults.

Don't bother with Waq he's just annoying and one of those fans who you couldn't even find until 2004 when he thinks baseball was invented. Not fair to go back and forth with his loss of memory I feel bad.

Reaction Score
Same with me Bigppetunia.Dad was born in the Bronx in 1916 and year later moved to Waterbury.He saw Joe D. and Gehrig. I saw the last great home run the Mick hit the walk-off against the Cards in the 1964 World Series.First pitch bottom of the 9th off Barney Shultz.

Reaction Score
I was a Brooklyn Dodger fan till they deserted NYC for LA in 1958 then I became a NY Yankee fan!
I personally can't stand Joe Giardi as Manager but I agree with above that this group on the roster this year is a blast to watch!
between the kids to the vets they seem to be a really closer knit group! Even some of my friends that are Red Sox fans say this isn't the USUAL Yankee team, so they enjoy watching them play!
I also agree with above that there seems to be an ingrained bitterness within Red Sox fans! I have a guy who USED TO BE my friend, but the last couple years whenever we run into each other, he starts screaming at the top of his lungs "the Yankees suck, how can you root for worthless pieces of !" and keeps going screaming all the time, not letting me get a word in. Now when I see him I just avoid him even as he's yelling as I walk away! Sickness!
There has to be something seriously wrong with a fandom that prints up and sells T-Shirts that say on the front JETER SUCKS! and on the back JETER SWALLOWS! I heard that Yankee management make fans from both teams wearing nasty shirts to turn them inside out before they enter Yankee Stadium!

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
The short porch in right field of old Yankee stadium -- 281 feet -- was built for the left-handed Babe Ruth.
It was 296 feet down the line, and 344 feet to straight-away right field.

Reaction Score
For those Red Sox fans that insist the Red Sox are as good or better than the Yankees remember if the Sox win the next 18 World Series in a row they can only TIE the Yankees at 27!
The Yankees have been in the post season 51 times! 20 more than next best!
Also the only major league team to have another major league team as a farm team.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I pretty much despise the Yankees as a group, but there have been many I've really liked as players. Jeter, Posada, O'Neill, Pettitte come to mind.

I'd be surprised if Judge isn't a unanimous ROY, but Altuve has my vote for MVP.
Altuve is a great player, no doubt but he second in the MVP to Judge. Despite Jose's high batting Ave, Judge's OBP is higher, Aaron led the league in Runs scored by 16 over Jose which is a very wide margin. Plus Aaron WAR IS 8.8 to 7.9 for Altuve. Here's what I would really enjoy-Judge winning ROY and MVP like a former Red Sox OF by the name of Lynn...

Reaction Score

Did you really just ask this question? You are also way off base if you don't think Yankees fans hate the Red Sox with the same passion. There is definitely not "more New Yorkers who will say that the biggest rival to the Yankees is the Mets". Has each club had short stretches against different teams? Sure, but over the last 50+ years there has not been a more heated rivalry in all of sports than the Red Sox/Yankees.

Reaction Score
Apparently, doctors were in awe of Mantle's muscle bulk and strength. Many of his problems stemmed from the violence of his swing causing his muscles to tear from his bones. Just too powerful for his skeletal system.

Joe DiMaggio's jealousy is blamed for Mantle stepping into a drain hole in center field when he called Mantle off of a fly ball that was rightly Mantle's to handle. Joe hated Mantle for taking his job in center field.

Reaction Score
IMG_9692.PNG
A Yankees win with Justine is just too great of a night!

Reaction Score
Did you really just ask this question? You are also way off base if you don't think Yankees fans hate the Red Sox with the same passion. There is definitely not "more New Yorkers who will say that the biggest rival to the Yankees is the Mets". Has each club had short stretches against different teams? Sure, but over the last 50+ years there has not been a more heated rivalry in all of sports than the Red Sox/Yankees.

I live in CT where the Yankee rivalry has been a part of my entire life and without doubt the king. But in NY itself there is no where near the passionate hatred that you see in the Boston area. And you can't judge it by the crowds at games because a large part of the fans there aren't natives of either Boston or NYC. Of course in recent years Boston has been the better team but my history goes back to the late 50's and early 60's when the Yankees were on top most years while the Red Sox were closer to the bottom of the league. I had no reason to hate the Red Sox, they stunk. On the other hand the hatred some of my friends had for the Yankees grew with each pennant raised by NY. I had no reason to hate the Sox. My team won.

In NY City there are 2 teams to choose from. That sets up a natural rivalry. But like in CT, when fans interact all the time there is a degree of politeness. Sure, we argue and tease each other constantly but it ends when the game is over. I used to have several friends from NY and I was always more keyed up for a series against Boston they they were. People in Boston have made the Red Sox into a cult. There is only one team. And there are no rival fans to deal with. The hatred for NY grew over the decades as one would expect when all the glory was in NY. The friends I have that grew up in and around Boston are nothing like the friends I have in my town that root for Boston. There is a viciousness in those from Boston, a bitter hatred. For them it has gone way past a sports rivalry and become a battle between good and evil. And the worst crime is to betray them. When Roger Clements left for Toronto most of them wished him well. But when he signed with NY the bitterness erupted into an ugly display.

So I disagree strongly with you. There is no comparison between the fans who live in Boston and the fans who live in NY.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
LOL! I probably watched over 1,000 games on TV and listened to Mel Allen, Red Barber, and Phil Rizzuto on WPIX, Channel 11.
I bet, like me, U remember the Ballantine Beer jingle by heart.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I bet, like me, U remember the Ballantine Beer jingle by heart.
LOL! I probably watched over 1,000 games on TV and listened to Mel Allen, Red Barber, and Phil Rizzuto on WPIX, Channel 11.

Scooterisms:
- Holy Cow!
- Cannoli's
- "They're dear friends of Cora and me...."
- "White, I gotta go....(beat the traffic on the bridge)!"

Oh yes, there was a game going on, too;):rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Remember my first game on WPIX....parents had stuck me in their upstairs bedroom while they had a party downstairs, but turned on the game to keep me occupied (or maybe fall asleep). It was in the early '50's and I recall so clearly watching this funny looking guy get up to bat and hit a home run, and then, this other guy, #4, got up and hit another. Yogi and Mickey. Back to back homers. I was a Yankee fan for life.

Reaction Score
Joe DiMaggio's jealousy is blamed for Mantle stepping into a drain hole in center field when he called Mantle off of a fly ball that was rightly Mantle's to handle. Joe hated Mantle for taking his job in center field.

Mick should have taken his job in CF in 1951 but did not. Joe D started every game in CF that he played. In every game that both players started, Mick played RF.

Reaction Score
Remember my first game on WPIX....parents had stuck me in their upstairs bedroom while they had a party downstairs, but turned on the game to keep me occupied (or maybe fall asleep). It was in the early '50's and I recall so clearly watching this funny looking guy get up to bat and hit a home run, and then, this other guy, #4, got up and hit another. Yogi and Mickey. Back to back homers. I was a Yankee fan for life.
Mickey was #7. Gehrig was #4.:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom