OT: - All Rise | The Boneyard

OT: All Rise

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Watching the Yankees beat up on KC this afternoon 11-3 with Aaron Judge setting the all-time rookie HR record with 2 more dingers giving him 50 to pass Mark McGuire. Judge leads the AL in HR's, runs, walks, OBP, Slugging, OPS. He's tied for 1st in WAR and he's 2nd in RBI's. He's got to be both the AL Rookie of the Year & MVP.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
He also leads in class. :cool:
I am very happy for him. To fight out of such an intense slump and put together a great September is incredible. Because of his height, he will always be battling a propensity for strikeouts but I think he turned the corner. Hope they make a deep run in the playoffs. After watching the liberty go down in a one and done against a weaker opponent, I hope they push through.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Judge is the 5th Yankee to hit 50 homeruns in a season.

The others are Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Rodger Maris and A-Rod.

Reaction Score
I know it is off topic, but the great Hank Aaron never hit 50 home runs

Reaction Score
His secret was longevity and playing in SHORT ball parks. Milwaukee .. and Atlanta were notorious for home runs. The hotlanta weather gave the ballpark its name: the Launching Pad.

Reaction Score
As a Red Sox fan, I've just got to try to rain on this parade. :)

Judge will also set the record for the most # of strikeouts by a rookie--by a very large margin.

And, of the other 4 rookies to hit approximately this number of HRs in their first full season, only 1 was ever really heard of again, Mark McGwire.

Fingers crossed that history repeats :) . Of course, if Judge were a Red Sox, I'd be singing a different tune....

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Judge is the 5th Yankee to hit 50 homeruns in a season.

The others are Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Rodger Maris and A-Rod.

And I read somewhere else that Judge and the Babe were the two to accomplish it when they were 25 or younger.
(Babe hit 54 homers in 1920.)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know it is off topic, but the great Hank Aaron never hit 50 home runs
That must be because of that old baseball rule that you could only hit as many HR's in a season as the number you wore on your uniform, which Aaron did 4 times with 44 HR's in a season. He did screw up one year when he hit 45, his highest total.

I can't wait until Judge matches his uniform # in a single season. :rolleyes:

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
His secret was longevity and playing in SHORT ball parks. Milwaukee .. and Atlanta were notorious for home runs. The hotlanta weather gave the ballpark its name: the Launching Pad.

The short porch in right field of old Yankee stadium -- 281 feet -- was built for the left-handed Babe Ruth.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Judge will also set the record for the most # of strikeouts by a rookie--by a very large margin.

And, of the other 4 rookies to hit approximately this number of HRs in their first full season, only 1 was ever really heard of again, Mark McGwire.

Fingers crossed that history repeats :) . Of course, if Judge were a Red Sox, I'd be singing a different tune....
Bags, I have only one thing to say to you, "Bucky *x&$#¥ Dent." ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The short porch in right field of old Yankee stadium -- 281 feet -- was built for the left-handed Babe Ruth.
Actually, the original Yankee Stadium was 281' to Left and 295' to Right. But left-center cut out sharply, while right-center was a relatively shorter distance. Dead center was 490'.

Reaction Score

More a light sprinkle. :D In a sabermetric world strikeouts aren't seen as being very negative, especially when we remember that Judge also leads the league in walks, by a large margin. And the fact that other rookies have faded is hardly a black mark on Judge.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
All of my red sox friends have great respect for Aaron Judge as they did for Derek Jeter....the reason? Both are a class act on and off the field and don't have a bad word to say about anyone including the Red Sox.

I pretty much despise the Yankees as a group, but there have been many I've really liked as players. Jeter, Posada, O'Neill, Pettitte come to mind.

I'd be surprised if Judge isn't a unanimous ROY, but Altuve has my vote for MVP.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I pretty much despise the Yankees as a group, but there have been many I've really liked as players. Jeter, Posada, O'Neill, Pettitte come to mind.

I'd be surprised if Judge isn't a unanimous ROY, but Altuve has my vote for MVP.
A few weeks back, I would have agreed with you on Altuve as the MVP, but right now Judge is hotter than a two dollar pistol. He leads Altuve in most offensive categories and he's closing fast on the MVP.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Always liked you Bags but in the back of my mind there was that one thing that told me to be careful. You are a Red Sox Fan! LOL

Reaction Score
Didnt Ruth play at the Polo Grounds and it was like 460 in center field?

Reaction Score

Just as the right field bullpens were installed in Fenway for ted Williams.

Today's yankee stadium is a bandbox and stadiums like it are in large part responsible for the explosion of home runs in baseball. But I take exception to those who, since I was 10, loved to point out the short right field corner in the original Yankee Stadium as some sort of evidence that it was a home run park. Actually the right field foul pole was 296 feet (302 at Fenway) from home and in straight away right field it was 367 (380 in Fenway). Right center was 407 (380 in Fenway).

As for the rest, there was no left center field in Fenway and almost anyone could play left field at Fenway because they could stand 30 feet behind the shortstop and if a ball went over their head they could just turn around and get the carom off the wall. :p

The figures I always wanted to see but which for some reason were never available were the square footage of fair territory in each of the stadiums.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom