All hype, or does Iowa even have a chance? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

All hype, or does Iowa even have a chance?

Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if Iowa kept it within 20. If its below 15 at the half I'll be shocked. I imagine this one will be over halfway through the first quarter as I don't think South Carolina will have one of their traditional slow starts. The only potentially challenging match up left for South Carolina this year is Virginia Tech. If Virginia tech can get by LSU, I think their starters can hang with with South Carolina's top 7. Foul trouble could be Virginia Tech's undoing but I think they are the only team left with guard play plus front court height to stay within 10 of South Carolina.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Last I saw, Massey had an 80% chance of South Carolina and 538 a 27% chance.

Sometimes the underdog with a spectacular player can pull off the upset. One thing that I remember, though, is the overheard remark from Clark in the second half of the UConn game, something like "Get that girl out of my face." I'm not sure she'll be any happier playing against Brea Beal.

On the other hand, I think Clark has matured a LOT this year. It seemed last year that she got frustrated when she wasn't playing well and sometimes it snowballed. She still gets frustrated, but she keeps it in check and sometimes turns it around.

Reaction Score
I have never been this nervous about a wbb game before. All other big games, we had a lot to win and not much to lose. With the streak and possibility of a repeat on the line, I’m feeling the pressure. I hope the team (particularly our guards) aren’t feeling like me.

But what a great opportunity for women’s basketball this is. Rebels vs Evil Empire, David vs Goliath. Two players of the year. Top (active) guard vs. top big(s). Top offense vs top defense. SEC bs Big 10 bragging rights in all sports. Two of the three most rabid fanbases. Two of the top three most-watched teams on television this year. Chance at record viewership at a time wbb is seeking a separate tv contract for the tournament. All the stars are aligned for record tv viewership except it being a Friday night semifinal on ESPN rather than a Sunday finals match on ABC.

Nearly perfect opportunity for wbb to capitalize on.

I appeal to UConn and Tennessee fans to watch the game tonight or AT LEAST tune a TV set that you aren’t watching on to tonight’s game -even the VaTech LSU game.

DO IT FOR YHE LOVE OF THE GAME! Please!
LOL! While I hate that we didn't make the Final Four, I must say I've loved not being a bundle of nerves all week.

As a neutral observer, there is a 0.0000% chance that Iowa even stays within 10. The size, strength, and athleticism of SC should absolutely steam roll this Iowa team.

Clark has to score 50 and they have to make 20 3's to win this game.

Reaction Score
LOL! While I hate that we didn't make the Final Four, I must say I've loved not being a bundle of nerves all week.

As a neutral observer, there is a 0.0000% chance that Iowa even stays within 10. The size, strength, and athleticism of SC should absolutely steam roll this Iowa team.

Please tell us what you really think, ucbart. Don't sugarcoat it!;)

Reaction Score
I think it's a pretty solid summary. I don't see much homer-ism in your post, I think it's a detailed and thoughtful analysis. I'm also glad you pointed out about Clark revving up the crowd. I've always felt the same that it's more a tribute to the crowd than showboating.

I do think SC is right there with Iowa in terms of intangibles/togetherness. They're an extremely unselfish group of players, led by 3 seniors who've started for 4 years together (130+ games), and a fourth who is a 3 year starter (100+ games). Amihere/Cardoso/Saxton/Fletcher/Johnson all have sacrificed individually to prioritize team success. Almost any of them would play 30+ minutes a night on virtually any top 25 program in the country, but they've all accepted reduced roles for the betterment of the team. I think these intangibles are a draw as both teams really seem like they're playing for each other, but if I had to pick, I'd say it's more of an edge for SC than it is for Iowa. Also due to this, I think both teams are likely to come out loose from the get go. Iowa has nothing to lose and should come out guns blazing. South Carolina has more to lose, but they're an extremely veteran group of players who've been on this stage twice before and have won it all. I don't think anyone in their rotation will be rattled.

In a pro Iowa light, I think it's more likely Iowa wins this game than SC blowing out Iowa by 25+. SC isn't a squad that will blow out opposing teams, they're a grind it out team that wears you down and usually pull away in the 3rd quarter of big games. In every game vs. a top 4 seed this year, the margin was single digits in the 3rd quarter. Against Sweet 16 teams, they're winning by 13.7 per game. If you consider the OT Stanford game a tie in regulation and dismiss the first Maryland battle when they were missing Diamond Miller, the margin drops to 11.6/game. They aren't routing good teams, so I don't expect Iowa to get blown out.

For SC to win they just need to make Clark more of a shooter than a passer. Clark's assist numbers are low in almost all of their losses, which usually means teammates aren't stepping up to make shots or plays and the burden falls on Clark, I don't think she can get it done on her own. If they make it difficult for Clark to find her teammates in scoring positions, SC has it in the bag.

For Iowa to win, a lot has to go right. First and foremost, their shooters have to hit shots. SC is a great defensive team, but Iowa's shooters will get some solid looks and they need to convert because SC is going to dominate the glass. I don't see any way that doesn't happen. 2nd, Iowa needs an off night from Zia Cooke. SC is unbeatable if Zia is shooting for a solid percentage. When her shot is off though and she takes 15+ shots, SC's offense loses rhythm and it will create opportunity for Iowa to keep pace. I also think it's crucial that Iowa gets at least some production offensively from Czinano. She has not played well going up against strong physical bigs this year (Edwards, Cochran, and Holmes) and they'll need her to convert some looks inside. I think it's going to be a tough tough game for Iowa to win, but if they're able to keep it close, I think the odds tip in their favor down the stretch due to having a player like Clark who is so lethal.

Realistically, I think SC is just too big and physical and wears Iowa down and wins by 10-15 points. I can't remember the last time a game had this much excitement behind it. Will hopefully be a great game.
South Carolina's average margin of victory has been about 30 points during the season and pretty sure we've emptied the bench in every tournament game so I'm not sure I'd say a blowout is very unlikely.
Is poor shooting really that much of a negative if you grab 49% of the shots you missed and the offensive rebounding usually leads to either a high percentage putback or a foul. A missed shot within the flow of the offense is almost a assist with this team. SC is currently 11th in FG% nationally and are 7th in points scored a game at 80.5 ppg while holding teams to 51 ppg.

I know this game is marketed as Offense vs Defense but SC is a better offensive team than given credit for. If there was a defensive 3 seconds or teams played SC straight up like Maryland did I'm sure SC offensive play and FG % would be much better compared to these junk defenses and zoning trying to limit Boston at all costs.

I agree. SC is a better offensive team than Iowa is a defensive one by a whole lot.

South Carolina would love to play a straight up ball game.

But Iowa is certainly dangerous.

Reaction Score
Y’all shut up saying the Game cocks are the massive favorites ! The game is zero zero anybody’s game.

Arrrrrgggggghhh.

I can’t stand waiting
Calm down, visitingcock, and enjoy watching your great team play. You don't know for positive SC will be back there again next year... probably, but just enjoy this experience.:cool:

I'm rooting for Iowa and hope Caitlin Clark and Iowa play a great game, but I don't expect it. I just want to see a good game, with refs not influencing matters. Good luck!

Reaction Score
Iowa needs more than just Caitlyn Clark. Need more of a team effort combined with a hot shooting Caitlyn.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So, we have under 5 min left in the 4th Qtr and all 3 noted aspects are in FULL DISPLAY
1. Clark has 33 points 8 Assists
2. SC is abysmal at shooting 39%
3. SC has 43-22 rebound edge

also abundantly apparent is Clark is by far the best player on the floor. Boston is only now starting to appear in the 4th Qtr with 7 pts and8 rebounds

Reaction Score
Please tell us what you really think, ucbart. Don't sugarcoat it!;)

You were saying?;)

I'm just happy, as I said before the game, that no one got hurt, the refs didn't decide the game, and people who have long doubted Clark's greatness had yet another chance to see what she's been doing for three seasons.

I hope the title game's as good. It surely will be a totally different animal as far as styles.

Way to go, Hawkeyes! From a diehard Huskies fan, I'm proud of you.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I thought Iowa was the only team left that had a "small" chance. But I honestly thought they would have to get 15 or 16 threes to win. Never thought they could do it hitting 7. They did.

Reaction Score
Yea I was wrong in my prediction. I had a feeling before the game, the look in the South Carolina players eyes was like what I saw in UConn during the second half of the Ohio St game.

Clark was great but I can’t believe how bad South Carolina’s defensive game plan was. Why were they defined Iowas bigs so far from the basket and leaving the paint wide open!? Their defensive bread and butter has been funneling into the post all season and they got away from that this game. Wild.

Reaction Score
A lot of great points. As great as Clark was, and she was unreal, it was Czinano's production that really surprised me, and not cuz I didn't know she was great herself. As mentioned she got a lot of clean looks off the pick and roll, somewhat because Clark gets so much attention. She also had some tough finishes over size. She's all time Iowa great.
I thought Boston and Beal really struggled which was something I didn't really expect. I know everyone packs the paint against SC but Iowa was really effective and played extremely physical against their bigs. I felt really bad for Zia Cooke cuz she competed her heart out. I almost wish they put her on Clark. I mean I could go on about Clark and idk if this is prisoner of the moment talk but every off-season, players say they add 10 pounds of muscle and work on their strength, also the "too small" celebration is like an epidemic. But I felt like the way when they put smaller players on her and she was able to consistently get to the rim and finish is a testament to her strength and to her fitness. She was only 5-17 on 3s so her ability to score at the rim and also in the paint off floaters or mid range shots is so underrated, and such a valuable skill.

Reaction Score
Clark needs to drop 40 points or more, Iowa needs to shoot 60% or more as a team. SC has to be cold as ice, and both Boston and the other big have serious foul trouble or foul out.
OK, let's see here - Clark scores 41, team shoots 50% from the field, 30% from 3, and 100% from the line. Boston sat a lot in the first half with foul trouble. South Carolina shoots 39% from the field, 29% from 3, and 70% from the line. Not bad of a pre-game assessment!

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
A lot of great points. As great as Clark was, and she was unreal, it was Czinano's production that really surprised me, and not cuz I didn't know she was great herself. As mentioned she got a lot of clean looks off the pick and roll, somewhat because Clark gets so much attention. She also had some tough finishes over size. She's all time Iowa great.
Czinano's baby hook shot is an underappreciated way of creating the necessary space to score over superior height.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Yea I was wrong in my prediction. I had a feeling before the game, the look in the South Carolina players eyes was like what I saw in UConn during the second half of the Ohio St game.

Clark was great but I can’t believe how bad South Carolina’s defensive game plan was. Why were they defined Iowas bigs so far from the basket and leaving the paint wide open!? Their defensive bread and butter has been funneling into the post all season and they got away from that this game. Wild.
They were out trying to switch on shooters off pick and roll... Everybody thought Iowa needed 20 threes.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Clark is this year’s Morgan William. This game had some parallels to the State-connecticut game six years ago.
USCe has been dominant somewhat similar to the Huskies (obviously for not as long).
Iowa was similar to State in that they are a very good team though Iowa is much more offensive oriented team whereas State was a defensive minded team.
The elephant being the win streak. That is a heavy burden to carry plus when the game gets close USCe started playing not too lose and that gets you out of your usual confident mindset.

All that said, congratulations to Iowa and that sets up what should be great finale with LSU. Two evenly matched teams.
Biggest concern for Iowa ? Can they put this game in the rear view mirror. State was unable to do so and as such we lost to USCe in the final.
It is great to slay the dragon but it is tough play the next game 42 hours later.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom