All about Paige Bueckers Vol 2 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

All about Paige Bueckers Vol 2

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hopkins' Paige Bueckers dazzling, inspiring a generation of girls

Attendance at Hopkins’ home games this season has swelled. The unbeaten Royals draw huge turnouts on the road. Basketball fans across the metro come to watch her play.

“There are people that come to games that I’ve never seen before,” Hopkins coach Brian Cosgriff said.

The scene afterward was both remarkable and typical. Fans surrounded her on the court until she had to go for the postgame talk. Dozens of fans — mostly young girls with parents — waited outside Hopkins’ locker room for her to emerge.

This happens after every road game. Bueckers doesn’t ride the team bus because she spends at least a half-hour with fans postgame. She either drives or catches a ride so she can accommodate all those who want to meet her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Attendance at Hopkins’ home games this season has swelled. The unbeaten Royals draw huge turnouts on the road. Basketball fans across the metro come to watch her play.

“There are people that come to games that I’ve never seen before,” Hopkins coach Brian Cosgriff said.

The scene afterward was both remarkable and typical. Fans surrounded her on the court until she had to go for the postgame talk. Dozens of fans — mostly young girls with parents — waited outside Hopkins’ locker room for her to emerge.

This happens after every road game. Bueckers doesn’t ride the team bus because she spends at least a half-hour with fans postgame. She either drives or catches a ride so she can accommodate all those who want to meet her.

Amazing. :D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Hopkins win over Wayzata on Friday night was remarkable in the relative ease with which the Royals took care of a really good team on Wayzata’s home court. The game between the two teams earlier in the season at Hopkins was close until Hopkins pulled away at the end to win by 10.

In the first game Paige was just a little off, and her shots were not falling. In the win Friday night, both Paige and her teammates were firing on all cylinders. The scary thing, as the MN state tournament roles around, is that Hopkins is getting better...:eek:

One additional thought. UConn’s attendance has been declining somewhat over the past few seasons. While it’s a lot to put on the lean shoulders of a freshman, I would not be surprised if Paige’s presence in Storrs inspires a surge in ticket sales both at home and on the road. That would be really, really, really good for WBB. ;)

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hopkins win over Wayzata on Friday night was remarkable in the relative ease with which the Royals took care of a really good team on Wayzata’s home court. The game between the two teams earlier in the season at Hopkins was close until Hopkins pulled away at the end to win by 10.

In the first game Paige was just a little off, and her shots were not falling. In the win Friday night, both Paige and her teammates were firing on all cylinders. The scary thing, as the MN state tournament roles around, is that Hopkins is getting better...:eek:

One additional thought. UConn’s attendance has been declining somewhat over the past few seasons. While it’s a lot to put on the lean shoulders of a freshman, I would not be surprised if Paige’s presence in Storrs inspires a surge in ticket sales both at home and on the road. That would be really, really, really good for WBB. ;)
I think young girls will be coming out in droves to see Paige. Basketball fans and UConn fans will as well. As Sabrina moves on to the WNBA, young Paige will become the face of WCBB.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think young girls will be coming out in droves to see Paige. Basketball fans and UConn fans will as well. As Sabrina moves on to the WNBA, young Paige will become the face of WCBB.
That will certainly be a big part of the fan base, but it won’t just be young girls coming out in droves to watch Paige play. If UConn’s version of “Showtime” takes off with Paige at the helm, there just might be people showing up at Gampel & the XL Center who have never gone to a WBB game before.

This may be a bit over the top, but Paige reminds me some of a young Tiger Woods, who had people watching golf who never watched golf before.

Reaction Score
Molly's turnovers often come from being tentative or a little slow. Nika is much faster and far more aggressive. Her turnovers seem to come from being over-aggressive.
I hope she proves me wrong. I think the coaching and the step up in competition will be good for all of the incoming freshmen. Paige's experience playing Fiba ball will give her a leg up. All of her teammates have adjusted to college level competition quickly as proven by Jones, Howard, and Boston.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I hope she proves me wrong. I think the coaching and the step up in competition will be good for all of the incoming freshmen. Paige's experience playing Fiba ball will give her a leg up. All of her teammates have adjusted to college level competition quickly as proven by Jones, Howard, and Boston.
You are certainly correct that Boston and Jones, prior to her injury, adjusted to the college game quickly. But as for Howard (Horston?), it’s very much a work in process. Horston is a long, athletic player, but she has been a turnover machine, her defense has been inconsistent and last time out KJH had decided to use her off the bench rather than as a starter.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You are certainly correct that Boston and Jones, prior to her injury, adjusted to the college game quickly. But as for Howard (Horston?), it’s very much a work in process. Horston is a long, athletic player, but she has been a turnover machine, her defense has been inconsistent and last time out KJH had decided to use her off the bench rather than as a starter.

Well you can say Horston adjusted to TN's style of play pretty quickly. ;):oops:

Reaction Score
I have high hope for Bueckers, but she seems more like a highlight pass 1st guard. What good will her passes do if Williams can’t hit shots and Walker can’t show up in big games when needed? UConn hasn’t had a player who could just take over a game since Stewart. Will Bueckers be more on the lines of Moore and Stewart? Or Lou, Walker, and Williams ?

Huh????????????????

Moore and Stewie can't win titles without others playing well. Moore got 36 in her last game at UCONN which she lost. So what good can a scorer do if her team can't hit either? If the others are open and they miss then it won't matter who UCONN has as an elite player unless they crush teams on the boards or have stifling defense. Other players have to help in order to win though. Not just 1 player.

By the way-- I've watched several Paige games and the highlights-- just as many have on here. The announcers during these games said a lot Paige's team is going Division 1. So what kind of a pg would Paige be if there wasn't a lot of passing highlight reels? So ofc you are going to see a lot of "pass 1st."

Secondly, there was a game last year early in the season in which her young team was in a nail-biter vs a top team in Minny. She wound up with something like 42 points. Paige put the team on her back. Then next time they played that team last year - she scored a lot less points and had more assists and her team won comfortably. I think same results a 3rd time too. The point is-- as an elite pg- she did what she had to do. Kind of like another player I'm about to mention.

Third-- After Lobo left UCONN didn't title win again until 2000. You've heard of this "pretty good player" in Sue Bird, haven't you? Wasn't she a "pass first" pg? Because she only averaged 10.9 ppg her soph and jr years. And early on before she got hurt as a frosh everything was much worse. Sue Bird needed other players, right?

In 2002 UCONN doesn't win title vs Oklahoma without Cash, Jones and Williams destroying Oklahoma on the glass. And btw, it was another game in which DT didn't hit 3 pt shot. Can you imagine what might've been said at that time about one of the greatest wcbb player's of all-time after her soph year if there was no Cash, Williams, and Jones?

Yet your point is "what good is it . . . " to paraphrase to have a super talent like Paige? huh? I guess you're glass-half-empty fan which is fine. For me I say "I'm looking forward to . . . " seeing how MW and CD progress. I'm half-full-glass. I'm not suggesting you don't think they can - it's just that you phrase the coming in of Paige that she might not help because she is pass first and might not be able to help. While I look forward to seeing the opportunity how she might help. Any fan that is half-full - I can't imagine if they get the top recruit in America before her 1st game would phrase things like you did as "what good is it . . . " :)

Reaction Score
This one line had me chuckling. Thank goodness for the freshmen otherwise we could be 3-23.

You quoting me:
I am convinced that this year's problems is a direct result of a failure of the sophomores and junior and the senior to a lesser extent

Thanks for chopping off the rest of the sentence and making me look foolish. My entire sentence was :

"I am convinced that this year's problems is a direct result of a failure of the sophomores and junior and the senior to a lesser extent not being integrated more aggressively into the offense in the last 2 years."

Tell me that was merely an oversight on your part. :rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Paige's Royals played Grand Rapids - at 84-25 pasting of GR (MaxPrep site) without Paige in the line up. Anyone have any information on her status?

Reaction Score
I have high hope for Bueckers, but she seems more like a highlight pass 1st guard. What good will her passes do if Williams can’t hit shots and Walker can’t show up in big games when needed?

Many of UConn's passes either catch the receiver off stride or force her to reach for it or are too late. In today's game vs USF there was a possession where Dangerfield got free under the basket when the ball was held in the high post. Whoever had the ball didn't see Dangerfield coming free and by the time they did she was covered. Another problem is that Dangerfield is short and unable to pass over her defender and often can't see open team mates. Bueckers is 5'11", can see her team mates coming free and puts the ball in the right spot at the right moment so that they can catch and shoot in one motion. Now it's high school, and college is a different story but I am confident she will adapt quickly.

Reaction Score
Paige's Royals played Grand Rapids - at 84-25 pasting of GR (MaxPrep site) without Paige in the line up. Anyone have any information on her status?

No information but it was the second game in 2 days and they have a big game next Tuesday. Looking at the final score I'd guess that she was given the day off to rest. It also gave her talented team mates a chance to learn to play without her. As talented as they are they do lean on her a lot to run the offense.

Reaction Score
Hope you are right @Alydar

I'm thinking if it was an injury we'd know. It's been brutally cold up in MN and with all those fans crowding around her it could be a cold or the flu. She caught the flu last year right before the championship game and played, but according to her was sick for a week. The fact that that illness wasn't reported at the time it wouldn't be odd for them not to report it now. And a bus ride to Grand Rapids could end up getting her whole team sick.
I just hope she can play on Tuesday because I want to see her in a complete game but not if she isn't ready.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm thinking if it was an injury we'd know. It's been brutally cold up in MN and with all those fans crowding around her it could be a cold or the flu. She caught the flu last year right before the championship game and played, but according to her was sick for a week. The fact that that illness wasn't reported at the time it wouldn't be odd for them not to report it now. And a bus ride to Grand Rapids could end up getting her whole team sick.
I just hope she can play on Tuesday because I want to see her in a complete game but not if she isn't ready.
There were some game highlights on Maxpreps. I scanned the Hopkins bench as best I could, but could not clearly identify anyone who looked to be Paige. So I would not be surprised if she came down with something.

Reaction Score
I meant Rhyne Howard who plays for Kentucky. She played with all of those girls.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
No information but it was the second game in 2 days and they have a big game next Tuesday. Looking at the final score I'd guess that she was given the day off to rest. It also gave her talented team mates a chance to learn to play without her. As talented as they are they do lean on her a lot to run the offense.

Hopkins led 58-8 at halftime without her. My guess is they let her rest knowing the, er, mismatch they had.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I meant Rhyne Howard who plays for Kentucky. She played with all of those girls.
Howard is a great player, but she is a year ahead of Boston, Jones & Horston.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
View attachment 50953

She was at the game, the Grand Rapids Assistant Principle was thanking Paige for taking the time to take photos and do autographs for their fans. View attachment 50953
She was at the game, the Assistant Principal thanked her for taking the time to take photos with the Grand Rapids fans on twitter. He posted a photo of Paige in civilian cloths with a young girl from Grand Rapids.
1581907156589.png
1581907156589.png

@Sluconn Husky posted the tweet earlier on post #147

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
58-8 at the half WITHOUT Paige! I knew she was holding them back. :D
In the MaxPreps highlights of the game, it looked like Grand Rapids struggled to even get the ball over half court against the Hopkins press. It was reminiscent of the first round game in the Big Dance during Stewie’s senior season when UConn lead Robert Morris 41-4 at the end of the 1st qtr.

Reaction Score
I saw that picture. Happy to see that my initial thought that back to back games and a big matchup on Tues (along with a weak opponent) was the reason she didn't play.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom