Aliyah starting for Anna. | The Boneyard

Aliyah starting for Anna.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it had anything to do with Edwards taking advantage or not; it was obvious the team as a collective looked very disjointed at the start. The insertion of Muhl, Makurat, and Griffin changed that quickly. It is about the sum of the parts for Uconn, not individuals. Very possible that next game today’s starting lineup may flow together, it was one game.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah looked completely lost at the beginning. Played much better later on in the game.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah looked completely lost at the beginning. Played much better later on in the game.

I say we give her some full chances. I bet Babe Ruth struck out in his very first game...probably Ted Williams too.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Aaliyah looked a little over-hyped to start... and Anna looked a little more relaxed coming off the bench. Weird day for Christyn though... (Edited per #1florida's correction).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
it appeared ball movement suffered with Edwards and ONO in there together...........also perhaps not enough room for them both down low..........it might be a necessity against big opposing front lines

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
What exactly did Aaliyah do badly today, other than missing layups? She played 17 minutes, grabbed 7 rebounds, and scored 10 points on 7 shots.

Missing the layups was probably due to nerves in her first start. But I didn't notice any other issues in her play today.

Reaction Score
it appeared ball movement suffered with Edwards and ONO in there together...........also perhaps not enough room for them both down low..........it might be a necessity against big opposing front lines
Wonder how much the layoff affected both. Edwards did not seem to know where to go to take advantage of her height. ONO was schooled a few times early on by the Prov. center and didn't initially react well to double teams. Not sure it matters later in the game when both hit the "on" switch.

Reaction Score
It was bound to happen. I have no problem with the move. I was just happy for Anna knocking down some shots!! My girl has a nice shooting stroke. As for Edwards getting the start. Nice move and she will get better. Hopefully she gets the nod for the next game. Probably was a little nervous out there. It happens. She will get better. Her length and physical nature is going to be an added plus in the long run.

Reaction Score
What exactly did Aaliyah do badly today, other than missing layups? She played 17 minutes, grabbed 7 rebounds, and scored 10 points on 7 shots.

Missing the layups was probably due to nerves in her first start. But I didn't notice any other issues in her play today.
Stats are one part of the equation for sure but it was obvious the team was out of sorts to start the game. Fact is it is impossible to say if the change in lineup had anything to do with it since it was a collective funk. IMO, it was one game and I don’t think it matters one bit who starts anyway. Auriemma is going to sub as he sees fit and play the combos he feels will be most effective that day. The only certainty is Bueckers. Before today I would include Williams, time will tell if today was an anomaly for her.

Reaction Score
I think in time it will be Aaliyah. When I don't know. Anna is vulnerable, and handicapped by Aailyah and Aubrey having more long term upside from better physical gifts. Those three are the competition for the 5th starter. It appears Evina is getting better and more clearly moving past Anna and solidifying her starting role, so if a new starter emerges Anna is the likely one out.

On the other hand Anna's basketball skills are much different and better than those two, and it could be that she would fit better with the other starters. In order to get three natural PF's minutes, Aaliyah, Aubrey and Mir, you can't very well play small ball with Anna or Evina eating up many of those minutes. Anna probably should be Evina's backup at SF and play some at SG, and I think she would be very good in that role.

Reaction Score
Wonder how much the layoff affected both. Edwards did not seem to know where to go to take advantage of her height. ONO was schooled a few times early on by the Prov. center and didn't initially react well to double teams. Not sure it matters later in the game when both hit the "on" switch.
Edwards has great potential but much to learn including finishing her layups but then again other then PB and EW they all miss bunnies with alarming frequency.......

Reaction Score

I hope there are no "necessities." I'd much prefer the other team react to UCONN whatever they may do. If this big lineup is to work-- it can't be just through defense/ matching up. It's just one game but what they showed today - if it ends up being similar in sluggish performance of ball movement/finishing around the basket vs a very good big team this style won't work unless Paige is just going to fire up 20+ shots instead while being very efficient, and UCONN doesn't worry too much about inside offense. The bigs have to be able to finish for a "big" offense to work.

Paige was incredible today. Incredible. A big lineup and have her fire up a lot of shots could work too- though ofc we would all prefer a balanced lineup. But today with those bigs as a feature early there was no balance. It was just poor. That won't work if they are to be a feature with that type of execution.

**What a beauty jump shot Aubrey made from 15+ feet!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I say we give her some full chances. I bet Babe Ruth struck out in his very first game...probably Ted Williams too.
“First game, first time, I struck out,” Williams said in an interview with the Hall of Fame.

You were right 1/4 with a double

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

She settled down ok after a rough start. They were really forcing things at the post in the first five minutes.

Reaction Score
I hope there are no "necessities." I'd much prefer the other team react to UCONN whatever they may do. If this big lineup is to work-- it can't be just through defense/ matching up. It's just one game but what they showed today - if it ends up being vs a very good big team this style won't work unless Paige is just going to fire up 20+ shots while being very efficient, and UCONN doesn't worry too much about inside offense.

Paige was incredible today. Incredible. A big lineup and have her fire up a lot of shots could work- though ofc we would all prefer a balanced lineup. But today with those big as a feature early there was no balance. It was just poor. That won't work if they are to be a feature.

**What a beauty jump shot Aubrey made from 15+ feet!
I'm more then willing to give the big lineup more of a chance, perhaps today's stagnant offense was just due to a bit of rust but Anna is a very good passer and with her in the line up the ball really moves...........

Reaction Score
I'm more then willing to give the big lineup more of a chance, perhaps today's stagnant offense was just due to a bit of rust but Anna is a very good passer and with her in the line up the ball really moves...........

I am too. I just hope there is no "necessity" to do rather UCONN does it because they not only can play good defense but run a very good offense with it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom