OT: - Alexis Yetna Transferring | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Alexis Yetna Transferring

Reaction Score
I don't think that's a concrete thing to assume and Yetna would be way ahead of Samson on the depth chart. Sanogo and him might be a little too similar as players, so maybe fit is a concern. But not depth chart.
Not sure if they are too similar defensively but Yetna's offensive game expands out to the three point line so the paint probably wouldn't be too clogged with them playing together.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I will admit I have never seen Tre Mitchell play, but I know he was a highly touted recruit out of Suffield.

Yeah, I am not a scout either, but despite Tre Mitchell's gaudy numbers, from what I read on this board he is slow footed on the defensive end and can’t play the 4 defensively. Yetna, was a beast in AAC play and gave UConn all kinds of trouble and seems like he is better match on the defensive end and his offense is good.
One person claimed that
Tre was a final 10 Naismith Karl Malone Power Forward 2020-2021 candidate - I don't think they would do so knowing he can't play any D
I would love to have either but if IW wants to come back that's where my heart is

Reaction Score
Not sure if they are too similar defensively but Yetna's offensive game expands out to the three point line so the paint probably wouldn't be too clogged with them playing together.
I mean ideally it wouldn't be expanded out. He's too good an offensive rebounder, finisher, and big to big passer. I forgot he shot better from 3 as a freshmen considering he was bad from 3 this year, but it just seems to me to be a waste of his real strengths, at least in the college game.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Will he have 1 or 2 years of eligibility left? Imagine Sanogo, Yetna, Martin front court lol. They would lead the country in boards.

Reaction Score
I really think we're more in the market for a grad transfer center as a Carlton replacement when it comes to recruiting transfer big men. Landing a guy like Yetna cannot make Akok, Johnson and especially Springs feel too good. Just my $.02.

I'm very confident with what we have at the 4 right now going into next year. Akok will have had 18 months to recover. I think he'll slide in and be very successful as Whaley's replacement.

Reaction Score
I really think we're more in the market for a grad transfer center as a Carlton replacement when it comes to recruiting transfer big men. Landing a guy like Yetna cannot make Akok, Johnson and especially Springs feel too good. Just my $.02.

I'm very confident with what we have at the 4 right now going into next year. Akok will have had 18 months to recover. I think he'll slide in and be very successful as Whaley's replacement.
The reality is I'm not sure we should be super worried about Akok or Springs.

If Akok is what he was and back, he'll get plenty of minutes. Samson will earn his minutes too, if he's as good as they say. And if Spring can't, he can't. I'm hopeful he will.

Reaction Score
I would take Yetna over Mitchell any day. Both are solid players, but I personally think Yetna’s ceiling is infinitely higher. With a good coach in a good system I think he has the potential to be something really special. Just one person’s opinion, tho.
Mitchell has NBA skills

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
We have a well-chiseled technician in Sanogo. Mitchell's game is similar except he has a three game, but he's slower and he does not run up and down the court. I find that strange. He does that quite a bit. Good player, no quickness, no d, no stamina.

Reaction Score
We have a well-chiseled technician in Sanogo. Mitchell's game is similar except he has a three game, but he's slower and he does not run up and down the court. I find that strange. He does that quite a bit. Good player, no quickness, no d, no stamina.

Mitchell has plenty of quickness for his size and does run up and down the court, when he wants. McCall and the staff not getting everything they could out of him. If he wants to be the best he can be, I've stated this on another post, Hurley or alike is what he needs. He needs to work harder, get in better shape and play defense with some 'tude. Kid has plenty to offer and if he would somehow end up at Storrs you know he's ready to be a better version of what he was at UMass. Danny would have it no other way!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Is he gutless?

Reaction Score
My first preference is to recruit any of our own graduating seniors.

Second, it may be true that certain players see competition at a position and see other pastures as greener. On the other hand, plenty of players see competition as a way to get better. Without knowing the particular kids I don't agree with the thinking that we have Sanogo so that it is evident that we can't draw in a similar player like Mitchell / Yetna.

Third, with Mitchell as an example, there is always the possibility he is playing the majority of the minutes at center because that is where the team needs him, rather than the fact he sees himself as exclusively a center. With a script where we pull Sanogo with 2 fouls in the first half, there are plenty of minutes available on a big stage with a Samson Johnson or Akok or Springs providing the quickness, where they are all playing combination 4/5.

Lastly, maybe certain kids value winning in a major program, and winning means depth at every position including theirs, and they know it and embrace it in order to win and get to the Big Dance..

On the other hand, none of us have insights into the nuances of why particular kids are transferring and what will be the final draw to another program. DJ Harvey to Detroit, Really?

Reaction Score
I remember seeing him play against UConn and he was a monster. Seemed like he could score at will.

I would take him in a minute.

I am not sure how he compares to Tre Mitchell, so anyone else's input would be welcome as to whether one would be better than the other for the needs of the program.
If by "at will" you mean 9.5 points per game, than yeah.

Reaction Score
If by "at will" you mean 9.5 points per game, than yeah.
Well, that is how he played against UConn in the game I saw him. He seemed to have his way. Was that game was an aberration or he was poorly defended? I don't know.

I have not followed him since that game, but was impressed by how he played.

Isn't 9.5 ppg and strong rebounding a strength?

Reaction Score
Well, that is how he played against UConn in the game I saw him. He seemed to have his way. Was that game was an aberration or he was poorly defended? I don't know.

I have not followed him since that game, but was impressed by how he played.

Isn't 9.5 ppg and strong rebounding a strength?
I'd rather get a HS recruit with four years of eligibility that can do that if that's what we're missing. We have a pretty good program resume (not recently, but historically) to be able to bring in recruits like that.

Reaction Score
I'd rather get a HS recruit with four years of eligibility that can do that if that's what we're missing. We have a pretty good program resume (not recently, but historically) to be able to bring in recruits like that.
We're talking about players to come in to play next year. You understand that there's only a handful of kids left in this year's class that haven't committed. You don't have the choice of a HS kid with four years of eligibility.

Reaction Score
My first preference is to recruit any of our own graduating seniors.

Second, it may be true that certain players see competition at a position and see other pastures as greener. On the other hand, plenty of players see competition as a way to get better. Without knowing the particular kids I don't agree with the thinking that we have Sanogo so that it is evident that we can't draw in a similar player like Mitchell / Yetna.

Third, with Mitchell as an example, there is always the possibility he is playing the majority of the minutes at center because that is where the team needs him, rather than the fact he sees himself as exclusively a center. With a script where we pull Sanogo with 2 fouls in the first half, there are plenty of minutes available on a big stage with a Samson Johnson or Akok or Springs providing the quickness, where they are all playing combination 4/5.

Lastly, maybe certain kids value winning in a major program, and winning means depth at every position including theirs, and they know it and embrace it in order to win and get to the Big Dance..

On the other hand, none of us have insights into the nuances of why particular kids are transferring and what will be the final draw to another program. DJ Harvey to Detroit, Really?
Well said. I’m skeptical of recruiting Mitchell/Yetna because of the impact on Springs in particular. I also hope it wouldn’t rock Akok’s confidence. I want him to be Whaley 2.0 next year so so badly. He deserves it with what he’s been through.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom