OT: Alex Trebek | The Boneyard

OT: Alex Trebek

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Terrible news. We are big Jeopardy! fans in our house. Glad to hear he is going to keep working. I can't imagine the show without him. A good friend who is considerably younger than him was diagnosed with this a few years ago and, knock on wood, he has beat it so far. He pulled out of chemo because he felt it was killing him and he went with immunotherapy instead, for which he traveled to Germany for several weeks for the initial part of the treatment because it is not approved here. Seemed crazy at the time but he has had great results, and I learned through him that there are many successful cancer treatments being used in other countries that are not approved here.

Reaction Score
Terrible news. We are big Jeopardy! fans in our house. Glad to hear he is going to keep working. I can't imagine the show without him. A good friend who is considerably younger than him was diagnosed with this a few years ago and, knock on wood, he has beat it so far. He pulled out of chemo because he felt it was killing him and he went with immunotherapy instead, for which he traveled to Germany for several weeks for the initial part of the treatment because it is not approved here. Seemed crazy at the time but he has had great results, and I learned through him that there are many successful cancer treatments being used in other countries that are not approved here.
There's no silver bullet but immunotherapy is really promising. Cancer grows and spreads because the body doesn't recognize it as foreign and malignant, and so the immune system doesn't do its thing. Immunotherapy works in different ways to alert the body to the threat, and the immune system can pretty much take care of business when it is aware of an invader.

I'm glad for your friend. Pancreatic cancer is particularly nasty. It is fast and efficient. My father was diagnosed 3-months before my wedding and was dead a month after the ceremony.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There's no silver bullet but immunotherapy is really promising. Cancer grows and spreads because the body doesn't recognize it as foreign and malignant, and so the immune system doesn't do its thing. Immunotherapy works in different ways to alert the body to the threat, and the immune system can pretty much take care of business when it is aware of an invader.

I'm glad for your friend. Pancreatic cancer is particularly nasty. It is fast and efficient. My father was diagnosed 3-months before my wedding and was dead a month after the ceremony.
I am very sorry to hear about your father's death. Yes that is nasty and quick. When I learned that my friend had it I immediately figured I would never see him again because I was aware of how terrible the diagnosis is. I am amazed at his results and hopeful that this treatment holds promise for others.

Reaction Score

Sorry to hear about your dads passing but glad he was able to see your wedding date. My dad was 4 months after his diagnosis (lung cancer) also amazing how fast your life can be impacted by this crap.

Reaction Score
I am very sorry to hear about your father's death. Yes that is nasty and quick. When I learned that my friend had it I immediately figured I would never see him again because I was aware of how terrible the diagnosis is. I am amazed at his results and hopeful that this treatment holds promise for others.
Thank you for the sympathy. That was 2010 now, so its been a long time and I'm not really looking for pity points. More just in awe that your friend is alive, and my father was the obvious touchstone for me.

I'm very hopeful for a future that leads in cancer research.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thank you for the sympathy. That was 2010 now, so its been a long time and I'm not really looking for pity points. More just in awe that your friend is alive, and my father was the obvious touchstone for me.

I'm very hopeful for a future that leads in cancer research.
Thanks. I didn’t think your father’s death was recent but it’s still brutal to hear the circumstances and I empathize because my mother died of leukemia when I was three. People still tell me they are sorry when they hear it for the first time, so I guess I’ve been conditioned that there is no statute of limitations for sympathies.

Reaction Score
My father passed from this as well - 20+ years ago. He had inkiling something was amiss, but the diagnostic capabilities of locals docs was / is lacking. Given 6 months, gone in 3.

There are severl biopharmas developing at the immuno approach, as well as the gene editing cos employing CAR-T and CRISPR-Cas9.

Reaction Score
Yeah tough news we DVR Jeopardy and watch it every night at our house - what a week it’s been: Luke perry, King Kong Bundy , and Now trebek with this bad news. Getting old sux. More and more people pass away that I kno every few weeks. And I’m only 43!! Jesus. How’s it gonna be when I’m 70!!

Reaction Score
Thanks. I didn’t think your father’s death was recent but it’s still brutal to hear the circumstances and I empathize because my mother died of leukemia when I was three. People still tell me they are sorry when they hear it for the first time, so I guess I’ve been conditioned that there is no statute of limitations for sympathies.
No, you're right. I'm genuinely just uncomfortable with in these situations because I don't like people to feel put off because of me. But there's no statute of limitations for sympathies is right, and I should have be more gracious in accepting it. Thank you.

Reaction Score
I have been blessed never to have cancer but if I ever do, Alex will be my model to live by.

Reaction Score
My father passed from this as well - 20+ years ago. He had inkiling something was amiss, but the diagnostic capabilities of locals docs was / is lacking. Given 6 months, gone in 3.

There are severl biopharmas developing at the immuno approach, as well as the gene editing cos employing CAR-T and CRISPR-Cas9.
Yeah. Doctors sometimes are more generous with dates, I think, to not scare people. My dad's doctor gave him 6-12 months, but I knew what pancreatic cancer meant, so when my mom left I asked him in a few different ways his honest opinion, and finally said "My wedding is in 6 months. What are the odds he's there?" and he finally said he thought it would be under 6 months, in all likelihood. So we rearranged the wedding to get it in quickly, and thankfully we did.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No, you're right. I'm genuinely just uncomfortable with in these situations because I don't like people to feel put off because of me. But there's no statute of limitations for sympathies is right, and I should have be more gracious in accepting it. Thank you.
No worries; I am the same way. I usually just mutter a quick “Thanks” and then continue on to the point I was making when I mentioned her death. Our family has all types and I always say that everyone deals with death in their own way, and I try not to begrudge anyone for the way they deal with it. Took me a while to get there, though. For example, I always feel compelled to go say a prayer at the coffin during a wake and then walk through the line to express my sympathies to the family of the deceased; my older brother always hems and haws about it and tries to find a way to avoid it. I used to get pissed at him about. Now I don’t care. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
I remember Alex hosted a number of day time game shows in the 60's an 70's including Concentration and High Rollers. It's funny I used to always link Concentration and Jeopardy with each other I guess because of the look of the beginning game board being similar. But back then Trebek didn't host Jeopardy. Art Fleming did. I don't think Trebek hosted Jeopardy until they brought it back for the night time version.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I remember Alex hosted a number of day time game shows in the 60's an 70's including Concentration and High Rollers. It's funny I used to always link Concentration and Jeopardy with each other I guess because of the look of the beginning game board being similar. But back then Trebek didn't host Jeopardy. Art Fleming did. I don't think Trebek hosted Jeopardy until they brought it back for the night time version.
They just said on the news that he started hosting it in 1984.

Reaction Score
I was born in '87 and Jim Calhoun had (just!) been the coach of UConn my entire life when he retired. That hit me surprisingly hard.

Likewise, Trebek has been the host of Jeopardy since '84. As a smart kid, I grew up loving Jeopardy, and the SNL Celebrity Jeopardy skits aired during a ripe age for me to love dumb parody. I now really regret not pulling the trigger on trying to qualify for the show, despite registering for the test quiz several times and not following through. His last show (if known) and passing will be very tough.

I'm glad at the team tournament he got to see a lot of his favorite contestants and I hope he fights hard, but also is happy when he does go.

Reaction Score
Alex has been doing this forever and is a quality guy, Hope he can beat the odds.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

My father died of stomach cancer when I was 17 and I thought I had it bad!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah. Doctors sometimes are more generous with dates, I think, to not scare people. My dad's doctor gave him 6-12 months, but I knew what pancreatic cancer meant, so when my mom left I asked him in a few different ways his honest opinion, and finally said "My wedding is in 6 months. What are the odds he's there?" and he finally said he thought it would be under 6 months, in all likelihood. So we rearranged the wedding to get it in quickly, and thankfully we did.

That’s awesome. Reminds me of something to lighten the mood.

The first of my college roommates to get married rushed it when we were like 24. 1997 or so, her mother was diagnosed with MS and they had to get it done quick because time was short.

Happy to report 22 years later Mom is still with us...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's pretty incredible and sad how every single one of us has been affected by cancer in one form or another.

A good friend of mine from UConn passed away before he even reached his 30th birthday due to leukemia a few years back. Still think about him everyday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom