Alex Karaban Debating on Reclassifying and Joining the Team in the Winter | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Alex Karaban Debating on Reclassifying and Joining the Team in the Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Safe to say this bodes well. Karaban went a perfect 38/38 from the stripe during the last EYBL session. Best in the country!

Attachments

• 5CFD7AE4-1742-45BD-B6CE-46E974A7BC40.png
    5CFD7AE4-1742-45BD-B6CE-46E974A7BC40.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 152
Reaction Score

KARABAN IS ON HIS WAY?

UConn’s recent COVID disruption throws a minor wrench in the plans for Class of 2022 commit Alex Karaban to potentially leave IMG Academy and enroll at Storrs early. That could still happen within the next week or so, though it’s not a certainty yet. The staff began talking about the possibility of enrolling early with Karaban as far back as the summer, and the 6-foot-7 forward told Hearst Connecticut Media last month that it was “definitely a possibility.”

It’s still likely that Karaban, who is back at his Massachusetts home on a long winter break from IMG, enrolls early at UConn. If he does, he would not play this season but rather practice with the team and hope to get stronger and more prepared as a redshirt freshman next season.

Here’s why UConn was unable to field seven healthy players for game against Xavier
I dont know If it's been mentioned but karaban would fit in immediately with his abilities except I don't know how his defense would be...his offensive skill and rebounding would be an upgrade from Polley.

Reaction Score
only took 4.33 years for most of us to come to grips w/ this
Yes and no. Everyone’s stats would look different if you excluded the numbers they put up against cupcakes. So pretending to adjust Polley’s 3 point percentage without any context as to how much worse the average average would be if you excluded lower level competition is just comparing apples to oranges and then pretending you’ve learned something important.

Reaction Score
I dont know If it's been mentioned but karaban would fit in immediately with his abilities except I don't know how his defense would be...his offensive skill and rebounding would be an upgrade from Polley.
We need a shooter and someone who can get their own shot. However, what we have seen many times, almost every time, is that the jump is bigger than what their skills set is at their current level. For whatever reason, better defense, he won't be able to do as easy or consistently what he is doing now.

Reaction Score
Yes and no. Everyone’s stats would look different if you excluded the numbers they put up against cupcakes.
that goes without saying, but in this case the stats reveal a 1 dimensional player, who was supposed to be our best 3 pt shooter, is actually a sub 30% 3 point shooter against real competition. if this exercise revealed the same about another player's value then they should be sitting on the bench next to polley. thankful he came back but his PT needs to go to hawk and samson.

Reaction Score
Safe to say this bodes well. Karaban went a perfect 38/38 from the stripe during the last EYBL session. Best in the country!
This skillset should not diminish playing against better competition. Unless, he gets winded from the pace of the game and then foul shooting can suffer.

The key then is for him to get to the line whether by driving to the basket and taking a shot ( I don't know how good his ballhandling skills are now or will be at the next level) or by pump faking his man from the outside and getting fouled.

Of course, getting fouled or not, can make a decent percent of his shots?

We'll see.

Reaction Score
We need a shooter and someone who can get their own shot. However, what we have seen many times, almost every time, is that the jump is bigger than what their skills set is at their current level. For whatever reason, better defense, he won't be able to do as easy or consistently what he is doing now.
Well we have no one like that coming next..better hit the portal

Reaction Score
Doesn’t it blatantly say he’s not playing this year??

Reaction Score
that goes without saying, but in this case the stats reveal a 1 dimensional player, who was supposed to be our best 3 pt shooter, is actually a sub 30% 3 point shooter against real competition. if this exercise revealed the same about another player's value then they should be sitting on the bench next to polley. thankful he came back but his PT needs to go to hawk and samson.
Amen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Someone should get Alex on an immediate Covid vaccine IV bag with one of those rolly stands.

Reaction Score
Hurley wouldn’t comment on the prospect of Class of 2022 forward Alex Karaban possibly enrolling early at UConn for this semester. Karaban has been considering the possibility for a while now, and it appears likely that he will join the team in the coming weeks, but won’t play this season.

From Hurley's media availability today. If he wouldn't comment that tells me that Karaban is coming. He could have easily said that's not going to happen. Or maybe the decision is really still up in the air. I just have a tough time believing that.

Reaction Score

With his offensive abilities being an upgrade immediately he should join. Hate to use a full year for a 4 year kid only playing 1/2 but this team could use a jolt of fresh offense. And defensively, can’t be worst and I’m sure he’ll get a couple rebounds.

I say this only if he’s ready, if not just come in and get stronger for ‘22-‘23.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
With his offensive abilities being an upgrade immediately he should join. Hate to use a full year for a 4 year kid only playing 1/2 but this team could use a jolt of fresh offense. And defensively, can’t be worst and I’m sure he’ll get a couple rebounds.

I say this only if he’s ready, if not just come in and get stronger for ‘22-‘23.
Should be able to slide into the Polley role immediately.

Reaction Score

He's not going to play this season. He would just practice with the team 2nd half of the year and have 4 years of eligibility beginning in the fall.

Reaction Score
He's not going to play this season. He would just practice with the team 2nd half of the year and have 4 years of eligibility beginning in the fall.

I know just speculating what could be!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01