Alex Karaban Debating on Reclassifying and Joining the Team in the Winter | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alex Karaban Debating on Reclassifying and Joining the Team in the Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I attended IMG Academy, he can’t compete for a state title because IMG isn’t allowed in the Florida high school playoffs. Kids in that sports-only school come and go constantly.

I could see him wanting to come early
Thanks for this added point I never would have known to consider

Reaction Score
I could see him wanting to come early, too. My point was more I don’t think it has anything to do with not appreciating how UConn players are treated and that he is gonna have to make a decision based on what’s important to him. I personally think it would be fantastic if he came early, but I also don’t think he’s making the wrong choice by waiting until the summer.
I’m not putting it on the kid as being unappreciative if he doesn’t come early. I’m just seeing a massive imbalance towards the benefits of coming to campus early vs… prom? Lol I know people here who live simple lives look back on high school broadly and specifically prom as some seminal/great moment of their lives but some of us recognize how unimportant high school and its pageantry are. You’re gonna have to do a ton better than prom; this kid has way more going for him than that.

But no worries man I figure you’re mainly playing devils advocate

Reaction Score
Its all about the chicks. Amirite?!!!;)
Along with being the BMOC, hanging out with the homies, no stress/pressure and having little responsibilities can be well worth the 6 months. Just saying immaturity is acceptable while in HS.

Reaction Score
Since it seems relevant to the thread. Can someone talk me into our strength coach? I'm really not blown away by the change in anyone's bodies like I was constantly with Mike. Our freshmen all look like they're still seniors in high school, save for Corey, who was already jacked.
I don’t think it’s out of bounds to lightly assume that what a flagship state university can afford and provide in terms of weightroom and coaching resources significantly outweighs what is offered by a prep school. You know; money, prestige, resources, all to attract talented coaches…

Honestly, setting aside this facile counter as irrelevant; the truest and best test of our S&C program under DH will be Akok’s rehab and longevity after the Achilles injury.

Reaction Score
I’m not putting it on the kid as being unappreciative if he doesn’t come early. I’m just seeing a massive imbalance towards the benefits of coming to campus early vs… prom? Lol I know people here who live simple lives look back on high school broadly and specifically prom as some seminal/great moment of their lives but some of us recognize how unimportant high school and its pageantry are. You’re gonna have to do a ton better than prom; this kid has way more going for him than that.

But no worries man I figure you’re mainly playing devils advocate
Yes exactly. Devils advocate. Like I said I personally think it would be great if he came and I think it’s makes a ton of sense, but I have heard stories in the past of kids feeling strongly about not leaving high school early for whatever reason. Apparently IMG is a different animal, which I didn’t exactly know.

Reaction Score
Yes exactly. Devils advocate. Like I said I personally think it would be great if he came and I think it’s makes a ton of sense, but I have heard stories in the past of kids feeling strongly about not leaving high school early for whatever reason. Apparently IMG is a different animal, which I didn’t exactly know.
I honestly didn’t know those little details either

These prep schools are so different from our traditional high schools, it seems

Reaction Score
I honestly didn’t know those little details either

These prep schools are so different from our traditional high schools, it seems
I’ve seen some pictures of IMG….. my jaw hit the floor. My jaw also hit the floor when I saw the price tag, but I am guessing a lot of people are there on scholarships. Definitely a lot different than the public school I went to.

Reaction Score
Since it seems relevant to the thread. Can someone talk me into our strength coach? I'm really not blown away by the change in anyone's bodies like I was constantly with Mike. Our freshmen all look like they're still seniors in high school, save for Corey, who was already jacked.
Mike was great for sure, I do miss his content. I think Gavin deserves some credit: Andre, Sanogo, Tyrese, Gaff all look more explosive this season. The freshmen need more time, tough to really fill out and get the full benefit of a strength program when you start in the summer. Give them a fulll off-season and it should make a big difference. Karaban would definitely benefit from getting in January and getting the full offseason of that.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Mike was great for sure, I do miss his content. I think Gavin deserves some credit: Andre, Sanogo, Tyrese, Gaff all look more explosive this season. The freshmen need more time, tough to really fill out and get the full benefit of a strength program when you start in the summer. Give them a fulll off-season and it should make a big difference. Karaban would definitely benefit from getting in January and getting the full offseason of that.
Andre, Sanogo, Gaff, Polley, Akok, and Bouknight all made huge strides under Mike in one off season imo.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Okay someone reply to me and tell me why you would give a single F about staying in high school for 6 extra unnecessary months as opposed to going to UConn 6 months early.

If you don’t agree with me you didn’t go to UConn and don’t appreciate how our players are treated.
Maybe he has a girlfriend, maybe you like being with your friends
I didn't go to UConn but most of my family did and it has nothing to do with how you are treated, I totally disagree with you
So every player who played at UConn always had it perfume and candy and nobody had bad experiences - I hear you ;) :rolleyes:
Enjoy your adult beverage

Reaction Score
Honest question. If he stays in high school wouldn’t he get to play actual games ? (Rather than just practice and scrimmages)

If so, wouldn’t that be a reason someone might want to stay?

Reaction Score
I don't have all the answers for sure, but why can't a scrimmage be a full court game, played for more than just a few minutes?

If so, why wouldn't he benefit from playing against high level, experienced players?

Maybe there aren't any referees there, but why couldn't the assistants call out players for hacking, reaching, double dribbling or whatever infractions, so they'd get a feel for the game?

Reaction Score
Some people just want to get on with life, so more power to him, but would he play? I kinda assume no. Missed 1/3 of the practices and the team is pretty deep as it is.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I guess this is fine if he doesn‘t play. One of our biggest challenges is too many players at his position and not enough minutes. Next year Martin and Polley will be gone. We don’t need a kid with no experience actually playing at the key mom of the season.

Reaction Score
Never afraid to show my ignorance.

If AK enrolls for the 2nd semester how does that affect our scholarship limits?

Reaction Score
Some people just want to get on with life, so more power to him, but would he play? I kinda assume no. Missed 1/3 of the practices and the team is pretty deep as it is.
This thread is all over the place. He's not talking about playing this season. He would do what Akok did. Come to UConn for the spring semester at UConn and then play next season. He could practice with the team right away and go through training but wouldn't play in any games until the 2022-2023 season.

I'm curious how he's graduating high school early since you need a high school degree to go to UConn. He repeated his 8th grade year at St. Peter Marian in Worcester. Then attended 1 year of public high school. Then 2 years at New Hampton. He's now a senior at IMG. Usually the kids who go to college early are the ones who are planning to do a post graduate 5th year of high school but are getting their high school degree after the 4th year. Like what Shabazz did.

Reaction Score
Honest question. If he stays in high school wouldn’t he get to play actual games ? (Rather than just practice and scrimmages)

If so, wouldn’t that be a reason someone might want to stay?
High school season ends right around when UConn’s 2nd semester begins I think. So he could probably get his full season in anyways

Reaction Score
No downside to coming if this is what AK and family want. Gives him a jump start on academics/SnC/ upgrade in BB skill development/coaching/team chemistry

Secondary benefit--Wouldn't hurt to have AK and Corey as positive promoters of the Program to prospective recruits/their parents on their OVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom