Alex Karaban ….. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alex Karaban …..

Reaction Score
Karaban is def a top 3-4 player for us, arguably the most consistent, and has a VERY bright future.

Sanogo is our best player. With all the frustrations these past few weeks we can't lose sight of that. If he didn't draw as much attention as he does he'd easily be averaging 20 pts a game.
Eeeh I think Jordan may have surpassed him.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yep and Jackson is incapable of creating his own offense.
That's basically true. But I don't recall ever seeing a Newton assist on an AJax basket before today either.

There was a play from another BE game earlier in week I commented on in another thread. Some dude was in position for a baseline 3, but opponent was closing. Another guy set a screen and the ballhandler went straight across the baseline for an easy slam as there was no traffic in the paint. It's a play DH could run for AJax often if he so desires.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
….. is our best player this season. The jury is in.

I think he is the smartest player and has done the best vis a vis preseason expectations.

He will be a great four year player.

But any BE coach could shut him down this season if they wanted to game plan against him.

Right now it's a keep him contained.

But yeah, I really like the cut of his jib.

Reaction Score
That’s easy, karaban rotates to the 3. and eats alleyne’s ( and a couple other guards through trickle down) minutes. It would just shift the guard rotations. And defensive matchups would dictate.

That being said, I’m skeptical we get real useful minutes out of Johnson this year. If we do though, that’s a good problem to have and easily addressed.
Here’s the math. With most successful teams, the starters average 150 total minutes (30 minutes per player) in competitive games. Based on stamina and roles, I’d expect the following:
AK: 25-30 minutes (closer to 30)
AS: 20-25 minutes (more when dominant)
DC: 15-20 minutes (less when AS dominant)
SJ: 10-15 minutes (closer to 10)
AJ and Hawk will continue to get major minutes in the backcourt. (30+)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Karaban is def a top 3-4 player for us, arguably the most consistent, and has a VERY bright future.

Sanogo is our best player. With all the frustrations these past few weeks we can't lose sight of that. If he didn't draw as much attention as he does he'd easily be averaging 20 pts a game.

What we are seeing throughout this skid is Sanogo cannot be the best player and focal point.

He is diminishing returns the more the ball goes to him.

Hawkins, good or bad, has to be the focal point.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Karaban is great but he's had nobody to fight with for minutes all season. Clingan's numbers would be outrageous if he played 30 minutes per game.
Yes indeed and all that chatter by Donny and others about how some players can play great for 10 minutes and then get worse as the minutes continue is such a horrible take. I have never ever heard a comment so stupid. He is justifying DH limiting his playing time by rationalizing that he needs to only play limited minutes. Terrible comment.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What numbers you looking at that don’t support it? Only Donovan and Adama have higher shooting % and decent benchmark for 5’s is 60%.

What’s your argument offensively?
A bunch of no-show games, and he hasn’t led them in scoring once. He isn’t as good on either end as Hawkins. I like him a lot, but most of his offense comes because teams are trying to stop Sanogo and Hawkins and he gets clean looks. Do love the cuts to the basket. He’s got a lot of savvy on offense.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's basically true. But I don't recall ever seeing a Newton assist on an AJax basket before today either.

There was a play from another BE game earlier in week I commented on in another thread. Some dude was in position for a baseline 3, but opponent was closing. Another guy set a screen and the ballhandler went straight across the baseline for an easy slam as there was no traffic in the paint. It's a play DH could run for AJax often if he so desires.
They came out and ran two plays posting up Jackson. It was interesting. Indeed we haven’t seen that. He should stress the D more doing that.

Reaction Score

Sanogo has not been our best player in Big East play. You can't just feast on Butler and lose 7 out of your 8 other matchups.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Close but not yet. Alex is almost tripling him in minutes. Consistency on big minutes counts for a ton here. No doubt that it could be Donovan with more minutes though.
Agree with the sentiment, but Karaban doesn’t have the press on BEPOY to compete for with minutes (and the only other threat to his minutes has been injured all year).

No doubt though our freshman have been difference makers for us this season.

Reaction Score
That’s easy, karaban rotates to the 3. and eats alleyne’s ( and a couple other guards through trickle down) minutes. It would just shift the guard rotations. And defensive matchups would dictate.

That being said, I’m skeptical we get real useful minutes out of Johnson this year. If we do though, that’s a good problem to have and easily addressed.
If Johnson can be who we need him to be, I would like to see lineups of Jackson/Hawkins/Karaban/Johnson/Clingan

Reaction Score
What we are seeing throughout this skid is Sanogo cannot be the best player and focal point.

He is diminishing returns the more the ball goes to him.

Hawkins, good or bad, has to be the focal point.
Sanogo is our best player.

Reaction Score
I’ll need to dig into the archives pre-2011, but this is nice:

Ok, after digging into the archives, three more have at least 200 points, 80 rebounds, 30 assists and shooting 45% from the field or better in first 21 games (could only go as far back as 1989-90):

Caron Butler - 285 points (95/208, .457), 134 rebounds, 63 assists (and this is only in 18 games since he was out the first three games of the season)​
Ray Allen - 278 points (104/193, .539), 84 rebounds, 39 assists​
Nadav Henefeld - 224 points (79/159, .500), 129 rebounds, 59 assists​

There were two other freshmen that came close, but missed the 45% cut:

Rudy Gay - 233 points (84/188, .447), 129 rebounds, 31 assists​
Donyell Marshall - 216 points (81/194, .418), 103 rebounds, 34 assists​

Reaction Score
Let's take it down a notch @superjohn.

Sanogo's averaging 16 & 7 in league play and leading the league in season avg ppg.

He's been our best player.
Let's not be lazy.

His scoring average if fine (right there with Hawkins) but there's way more to the game than that.

Reaction Score
Sanogo should be our best player. I wish that he was our best player but he hasn’t been. The nice thing is that this team plays team ball and they make each other better when they are playing well. I don’t see how we will have Sanogo and DC next year. One of them will decide to move on unless Hurley can figure out how to play them both.

Reaction Score
Most consistent on the offensive end maybe? But the numbers don’t support that. But against good 4s he’s still been a problem on the defensive end, so definitely not our best player. Certainly an encouraging freshman season.
You've repeatedly described Sanogo as our best player yet his defense has been nonexistent against several quality BE bigs. What gives?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Ok, after digging into the archives, three more have at least 200 points, 80 rebounds, 30 assists and shooting 45% from the field or better in first 21 games (could only go as far back as 1989-90):

Caron Butler - 285 points (95/208, .457), 134 rebounds, 63 assists (and this is only in 18 games since he was out the first three games of the season)​
Ray Allen - 278 points (104/193, .539), 84 rebounds, 39 assists​
Nadav Henefeld - 224 points (79/159, .500), 129 rebounds, 59 assists​

There were two other freshmen that came close, but missed the 45% cut:

Rudy Gay - 233 points (84/188, .447), 129 rebounds, 31 assists​
Donyell Marshall - 216 points (81/194, .418), 103 rebounds, 34 assists​

Horrible company right there.

We should replace him with Samson Johnson.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sanogo should be our best player. I wish that he was our best player but he hasn’t been. The nice thing is that this team plays team ball and they make each other better when they are playing well. I don’t see how we will have Sanogo and DC next year. One of them will decide to move on unless Hurley can figure out how to play them both.

No. A below the rim, back to the basket big man who needs multiple dribbles and moves to get off his shot is a killer for team ball and movement.

He is great against weaker teams but strong teams know how to limit him.

Reaction Score
Hawkins is our best player. Surprised that isn’t being stated by most here.

Theres a reason opposing teams game plan their D on shutting down two players: Hawkins and Sanogo.

If you don’t shut them down, either will put up 25+ points. No other UConn players get game planned by the opposing team.

That said, Karaban is playing really well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom