Aldo vs. McGregor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aldo vs. McGregor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
MacGregor is Tyson now? Jeez.

Not sure we can go there quite yet. Unorthodox fighter with precision - but you know who else fit that bill and knocked out a lot of PFP top guys past their prime? Lyoto Machida. He didn't last long.
Frankie Edgar will get him.

Reaction Score
Frankie Edgar will get him.
Honestly im thinking the same. I've doubted Conor for so long and he has continuously proven me wrong. Frankie is an animal but after this shocking upset I wouldn't put anything past McGregor

Reaction Score
I mean basically the humor in this:

GSP gets immediate rematch with Matt Serra after one punch haymaker.

Ronda Rousey gets literally obliterated for two rounds - gets rematch despite being an absurdly predictable joke.

Aldo doesn't. After basically running into one, single punch in 10 years of slicing an entire division + into ribbons.

Probably because he doesn't speaky engels.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I mean basically the humor in this:

GSP gets immediate rematch with Matt Serra after one punch haymaker.

Ronda Rousey gets literally obliterated for two rounds - gets rematch despite being an absurdly predictable joke.

Aldo doesn't. After basically running into one, single punch in 10 years of slicing an entire division + into ribbons.

Probably because he doesn't speaky engels.

Pretty easy. Dana sees how bloody marketable Conor is. Knows he'd probably get dropped by Aldo next time up. Better to make as much money off Conor as he can in the meantime.

Reaction Score
Pretty easy. Dana sees how bloody marketable Conor is. Knows he'd probably get dropped by Aldo next time up. Better to make as much money off Conor as he can in the meantime.

Kind of my point.

I have such a love/hate relationship with UFC because a guy can win under *literally* the most absurd circumstances ever and they promote him like he's the next Ali - but do so subjectively. I mean does anyone else think Matt Serra - had he knocked GSP out tonight and had Frankie Edgar in the wings... that he'd be fighting him? Of course not!

Ronda Lousey deserves to be fighting Holly Holm about as much as... well.. I'm not really sure.

Reaction Score
Didnt watch. Ufc is pretty boring to me right now. A woman is the biggest name in the sport !

Reaction Score
Yeah Aldo ran into a pretty well timed punch. That being said - he doesn't this would probably have been a 3-4 round crucifixion. Aldo's skills are so far past MacGregor's
This smacks of a Sherdog butt hurt post. Not sure about Aldo's "far past" skills, but one "skill" that he needs to work on is not getting hit on the chin when you're fighting a guy who appears to have tremendous knock out power. That's kind of an important skill.
Your post suggests that a lucky punch ended the fight. I don't agree. MacGregor has excellent power and is a pinpoint striker. If you could erase the KO punch, there's no reason to believe that MacGregor wouldn't have landed another sooner or later.

Reaction Score
Aldo doesn't. After basically running into one, single punch in 10 years of slicing an entire division + into ribbons. Probably because he doesn't speaky engels.
Dude, what? The UFC cares about making money. That's it. They'll make the fights that make the money, which is to say they'll make the fights that the fans want to see.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Dana White often says this a young, hungry man's sport.

Aldo is either at the end if his prime or last his prime and hadn't been in the ring in 14 months. Those are always huge red flags.

The reason he isn't getting an immediate rematch like St. Pierre or Rousey is that Aldo isn't headlining fights going forward.

He's a used up commodity.

If he was 25 and had the results last night, he'd get the rematch.

Plus, as White said afterwards, McGregor may be moving up to 155 anyway making a rematch moot.

Reaction Score
My son called it (well sort of). He said McGregor would knock him out in 2.. no later than 3. He said they laughed at him at the Ale House... 13 seconds later...

Reaction Score
I watched the fight in a packed wild wings last night. Standing room only. I keep reading how ufc is dying on this board, but that crowd happens for no other sport.

Reaction Score
I'm sure it's been talked about before, but why isn't mma an olympic sport? They already have really great national rivalries.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm sure it's been talked about before, but why isn't mma an olympic sport? They already have really great national rivalries.

I heard rumblings that it was under consideration. Don't know how accurate that is.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Dana White often says this a young, hungry man's sport.

Aldo is either at the end if his prime or last his prime and hadn't been in the ring in 14 months. Those are always huge red flags.

The reason he isn't getting an immediate rematch like St. Pierre or Rousey is that Aldo isn't headlining fights going forward.

He's a used up commodity.

If he was 25 and had the results last night, he'd get the rematch.

Plus, as White said afterwards, McGregor may be moving up to 155 anyway making a rematch moot.
Aldo is 29 and well within his prime. He had never lost and could very well have had a little ring rust after a long layoff. Depending on the PPV buys, Dana will quickly change his mind about a rematch. I think he has earned the right for an immediate rematch.

Reaction Score

Yeah Aldo ran into a pretty well timed punch. That being said - he doesn't this would probably have been a 3-4 round crucifixion. Aldo's skills are so far past MacGregor's
This smacks of a Sherdog butt hurt post. Not sure about Aldo's "far past" skills, but one "skill" that he needs to work on is not getting hit on the chin when you're fighting a guy who appears to have tremendous knock out power. That's kind of an important skill.
Your post suggests that a lucky punch ended the fight. I don't agree. MacGregor has excellent power and is a pinpoint striker. If you could erase the KO punch, there's no reason to believe that MacGregor wouldn't have landed another sooner or later.

Aldo's head movement is some of the best in MMA - arguably ever. So i'd say he's been pretty good at it on the whole and even when he's gotten smoked, he's usually had the chin to take it and keep coming. He got hit with one, well timed shot. In ten years.

Dude, what? The UFC cares about making money. That's it. They'll make the fights that make the money, which is to say they'll make the fights that the fans want to see.

Gee is that what it is? Thank the lord I have my bro's on the BONE YARD~! to let me know how fight promotion works. And here I was the whole time thinking UFC was a 501(c)3 designed to benevolently give me what I want.

Look - you can make a case either way here - or make both cases simultaneously because they're both correct.

From a pure consistency point - Aldo should get a rematch. If Rousey got one after embarrassing herself, GSP got one after not keeping up on his 'skill' of not getting hit on the chin by a guy with knockout power, Silva got one, and on and on... then I'd think considering Aldo's essentially been that entire division forever- that he'd get a rematch. And you're joking me if you think MacGregor-Aldo II is a worse draw than Silva-Wideman II or GSP-Serra. If you're in it to make money, you're going to make money off that fight.

That being said - I DO THINK the whole idea that the 'legendary champ gets instant rematch' thing is inherently stupid. Champions shouldn't get punished for their successes. MacGregor knockout out arguably one of the greatest MMA fighters in history with one shot. Why shouldn't he get to take a fight more to his liking? Same thing with Holly Holm. She shouldn't have to sit on the shelf to wait for Ronda Rousey's face to reset in a million months. She likes to fight frequently - Meisha Tate is in line, wants to fight her, Holly wants to fight Meisha, so make the fight already. What's worse is if they wait all that time, and then Ronda doesn't want to fight, pulls out due to injury or doesn't get cleared. So I hate the system and if Aldo's the necessary sacrifice to get rid of it - then so be it.

I also think Edgar has more than earned his shot and at least from a style standpoint - is a really bad match up for Conor. I don't think him getting the first crack at Conor is at all ridiculous.

If I were Dana, what I'd do to appease all parties would be fairly simple. Give Frankie Edgar first shot at Conor. No matter what happens - Conor has to fight Aldo next - with or without the belt before he can move up in weight.

Reaction Score

If you're going to go that far I'm surprised you don't wonder if Aldo got paid to take a dive. Not sure how they made this fight the first time if you really believe what you said here.

As a casual UFC fan, and assuming the fight was legit, I don't see the pressing need for an immediate rematch either. Let Aldo win 1-2 fights and revisit this in 9 months.

Reaction Score
I watched the fight in a packed wild wings last night. Standing room only. I keep reading how ufc is dying on this board, but that crowd happens for no other sport.

This was their most anticipated fight in a couple years, and this turnout happens for any relatively big boxing fight or even WWE shows.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If you're going to go that far I'm surprised you don't wonder if Aldo got paid to take a dive. Not sure how they made this fight the first time if you really believe what you said here.
As a casual UFC fan, and assuming the fight was legit, I don't see the pressing need for an immediate rematch either. Let Aldo win 1-2 fights and revisit this in 9 months.

I totally believe it, and don't think it's really that out of line or a conspiracy or anything. Dana's number one job is to make money. Connor is (will be) a money making machine, especially in the US, where the bulk of the money is made. If this was boxing, no one would blink an eye at this way of operating.

I mean, why is he giving fighters in the other matches immediate rematches? Because Weidman, and especially Rousey, are incredibly marketable fighters. Hell he's giving Rousey a year+ to heal, and holding back Holm to make the next fight a guaranteed title fight. It serves no purpose for Aldo to fight other fights, as he's dominated the sport for years. Let's see the two best go at it.

I definitely don't think Aldo took a dive. He ran into a punch and got his clock cleaned. It happens. If that was a dive, it would have been the most epic dive in history.

Reaction Score
I totally believe it, and don't think it's really that out of line or a conspiracy or anything. Dana's number one job is to make money. Connor is (will be) a money making machine, especially in the US, where the bulk of the money is made. If this was boxing, no one would blink an eye at this way of operating.

I mean, why is he giving fighters in the other matches immediate rematches? Because Weidman, and especially Rousey, are incredibly marketable fighters. Hell he's giving Rousey a year+ to heal, and holding back Holm to make the next fight a guaranteed title fight. It serves no purpose for Aldo to fight other fights, as he's dominated the sport for years. Let's see the two best go at it.

I definitely don't think Aldo took a dive. He ran into a punch and got his clock cleaned. It happens. If that was a dive, it would have been the most epic dive in history.

If Dana is afraid Conor will get beat by Aldo, why did he make the fight the first time then? Conor losing a 2nd fight and being 1-1 against Aldo is a lot less disastrous for his marketability than losing the first fight and, depending on how Saturday's fight went down, potentially looking Rousey levels of fraudulent.

The reason Aldo shouldn't be given an immediate rematch is the same reason we didn't see Floyd/Pacquiao II, the fights themselves were disappointing. Rousey is getting a pass due to both her marketability, but also because there's absolutely no depth in that division. I have no desire to see a Holm/Tate matchup before Rousey gets a rematch.

The only way you can possibly fix a UFC fight is the way that fight went down, not giving Aldo an immediate rematch serves this theory as well. Keep them apart for a fight, then all of a sudden Conor moves up in weight before the eventual rematch can be made and Aldo gets his title back while UFC's current biggest cash cow keeps his credibility for awhile longer. Not saying I believe it, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if this is similar to what we saw beginning to unfold Saturday night.

Reaction Score
This was their most anticipated fight in a couple years, and this turnout happens for any relatively big boxing fight or even WWE shows.
The same thing happened a few weeks ago with Rousey. The bar was also pretty packed in July for UFC 189. That was McGregor again, but that's 3 packed bars in less than 6 months. I rarely see bars like this for boxing. Never for WWE.

Reaction Score
The same thing happened a few weeks ago with Rousey. The bar was also pretty packed in July for UFC 189. That was McGregor again, but that's 3 packed bars in less than 6 months. I rarely see bars like this for boxing. Never for WWE.

Been a few months since I've gone but the closest spot to me is the Hooters on the Berlin Turnpike and it's been standing room only for literally any Boxing or WWE event I've ever gone there for.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If Dana is afraid Conor will get beat by Aldo, why did he make the fight the first time then? Conor losing a 2nd fight and being 1-1 against Aldo is a lot less disastrous for his marketability than losing the first fight and, depending on how Saturday's fight went down, potentially looking Rousey levels of fraudulent.

The reason Aldo shouldn't be given an immediate rematch is the same reason we didn't see Floyd/Pacquiao II, the fights themselves were disappointing. Rousey is getting a pass due to both her marketability, but also because there's absolutely no depth in that division. I have no desire to see a Holm/Tate matchup before Rousey gets a rematch.

Dana had to give him the original fight, because Aldo was the champ. No belt = no credibility. But once he (Conor) has the belt, then he's 'protected' so to speak. If Dana allows him to move up in weight and never fight Aldo again, that'll be the weakest of weak moves in that sport.

I'm not saying I'm right, just that I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom