Album Recs Needed | The Boneyard

Album Recs Needed

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Specifically, I'm looking for any albums you enjoyed (didn't have to love them) made by artists past their "sell by" date. Good albums that might have missed without the airplay, etc... For example, I just heard ZZ Top's "Recycler" for the first time and was surprised by how much I liked it. Also, AC/DC's recent covid release was excellent.

Reaction Score
Through the Mists of Time is a great tune off that AC/DC album.

Here's a few:
  • The Who - WHO
  • Any Iron Maiden album since 2000 - A Matter of Life or Death and Senjutsu are my favorites
  • Glen Campell - Ghosts on the Canvas
  • Sturgill Simpson - Sound & Fury - I don't think it's by his "sell by" date but it was a deviation from norm (though his norm is good too)
  • Charles Bradley - Changes (again, not sure if he ever had enough success to have a sell by date, but really enjoy this album)

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Bruce Springsteen's "Western Stars" is amazing.

Reaction Score
These may seem a little out there, but

1. The Kinks a.) The Ultimate Kinks: this has everything through Lola; b) Something Else, this is my favorite period Sunny Afternoon, Victoria etc. c. not in the ultimate Kinks Come Dancing and Father Christmas among others

2.Curtis Mayfield Superfly in addition to the title cut Freddy's Dead is great. If you have any interest in vocal groups try the Impressions; my favorite is People Get Ready.

3. The Persuasions are an acapella group which began in the 70's. Their first album, Street Corner Symphony, is a good starting place. My favorite song is "Looking for an Echo, ultimate acapella.

YouTube has all of these recommendations.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Specifically, I'm looking for any albums you enjoyed (didn't have to love them) made by artists past their "sell by" date. Good albums that might have missed without the airplay, etc... For example, I just heard ZZ Top's "Recycler" for the first time and was surprised by how much I liked it. Also, AC/DC's recent covid release was excellent.
Can’t speak to the album but very much enjoy Seger’s cover of this great tune Wilco made with Woody Guthrie’s lyrics; had no idea he was still putting out albums within the past ten years:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Here are a bunch of albums I love and fully recommend by bands or performers I thought were done:

Peter Wolf: A Cure for Loneliness (2016)

Ian Hunter: When I’m President (2012) (with the Rant Band)

Graham Parker: Three Chords Good (2012) (with the Rumour)

Squeeze: Cradle to the Grave (2015)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
2.Curtis Mayfield Superfly in addition to the title cut Freddy's Dead is great. If you have any interest in vocal groups try the Impressions; my favorite is People Get Ready.
I just listened to the entire "Superfly" last week! Good timing!

Reaction Score
Stevie Wonder's Innervisions & Fulfillingness First Finale

Reaction Score
Tears for Fears Raul And The King Of Spain. One of my personal favorite album by them. Great stuff! If your into them.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tears for Fears Raul And The King Of Spain. One of my personal favorite album by them. Great stuff! If your into them.
Thanks! The day after I made the OP, Amazon suggests "Underrated Rock Book: The 200 Most Overlooked Albums 1970-2015." Basically, just what I was looking for and only $2.99 to boot. But I'm not pretending there's no Big Brother.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
But I'm not pretending there's no Big Brother.
It's amazing how many times the suggestions I get on You Tube synch up with stuff I've been looking at on other sites.

Reaction Score
Thanks! The day after I made the OP, Amazon suggests "Underrated Rock Book: The 200 Most Overlooked Albums 1970-2015." Basically, just what I was looking for and only $2.99 to boot. But I'm not pretending there's no Big Brother.
We got you on this. I will post some others that may be of interest. That book though seems very interesting, might have to get it too for that price. Nice!

Reaction Score
The J Geils Band, they did not use the J/Band on this album and it went out as Geils: Monkey Island. Hidden gem ;)

Last edited:

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Caught them at Jorgenson and The Webster.

NMAS or The Word at the Webster? I was at The Word there, and bought the show poster autographed by the band members at auction on JamCruise. Its got a very prominent spot on the wall of my rec room.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
North Mississippi All Stars - Shake Hands with Shorty

Karl Denson - Dance Lessons #2

Toots & The Maytals - True Love
Great recs. I own 'em all!

Really, really love that Toots album. So many great collaborations. I think "Funky Kingston" with Bootsy is my favorite cut.

Reaction Score

took my mom randomly to see them at the Capitol Theatre maybe like 6-7 years ago. Was really a great show.

Reaction Score
took my mom randomly to see them at the Capitol Theatre maybe like 6-7 years ago. Was really a great show.
I bet! Like the Capitol Theater. I saw them on Everybody Loves A Happy Ending tour at the Orpheum Theater in Boston. Also a great show.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
NMAS or The Word at the Webster? I was at The Word there, and bought the show poster autographed by the band members at auction on JamCruise. Its got a very prominent spot on the wall of my rec room.
Awesome! Yes, I was taking about The Word. I'm still amazed about that show. The Word did 4 gigs that tour. Philly, DC, NYC and The Webster.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
The J Geils Band, they did not use the J/Band on this album and it went out as Geils: Monkey Island. Hidden gem ;)
My freshman year at UConn ('81-82), J. Giles played Jorgensen when the Centerfold album was #1 on the charts. A guy on my floor was on concert committee, hence his nickname "CC," he sold me his comp 10th row center ticket for $10. Great show. Pretty sure they followed that up 2nd semester with Herbie Hancock when Rock It album was at or close to top of the charts.

Reaction Score
def not a
Awesome! Yes, I was taking about The Word. I'm still amazed about that show. The Word did 4 gigs that tour. Philly, DC, NYC and The Webster.

I think I saw The Word in NYC, maybe that tour. I remember maybe around 03-04' someone giving me the live at the wetlands tape from Robert Randolph and the family band and playing "the march" and " I need more love" on repeat

Reaction Score

Was at this show in 2014 at the Capitol Theater, what an amazing show. Here it is:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom