Alabama tracking students, penalizing them if they leave football game early | The Boneyard

Alabama tracking students, penalizing them if they leave football game early

Reaction Score

I suggested a plan somewhat similar to this years ago to both Warde--and Benedict. Never heard back--lol.

July 17, 2016
David,
As you know, a lot of angst surrounds the inability of our fans (and students) to get into the stadium early and stay till the end. Here’s one idea to hopefully help impact football attendance.
Why not develop a Husky Fan App to help get people into their seats at the Rent prior to kickoff and stay until the end. How? Since the ticket takers are already scanning tickets they could also scan each Husky Fan App. By recording the exact time of the scan as they enter through the ticket turnstile, those entering early, such as up to 15 minutes before kickoff and again as they leave would automatically receive a small bonus reward deposit of dollars or points into their app to spend on Husky merchandise and concessions.
And if they entered the stadium even earlier, like up to 30 minutes early, they could receive special additional points! These accumulated points could be used to defray the cost of concessions that are currently perceived as being too high. This could also help condition fans to break down their tailgates a bit earlier and get into the stadium before kick-off.
With a boost from ubiquitous social media, plus word of mouth, the buzz about these membership incentives would grow after the first game. There are lots of ways UConn could likely expand upon this concept, but at least as a tool to motivate fan attendance, it should at least be explored..
All UConn students, alumni and fans would be directed to sign up online to get their app, which, as incentive, could be automatically pre-loaded by UConn with a small dollar value or equivalent points. UConn fans could then add additional value as with a “Dunkin' Donuts Card”.
The app would also be “scanned” to buy any tickets for UConn sponsored events. And each purchase would result in an allocation of “Husky Points” (the quantity would need to be determined after analysis). This would allow fans to build up their “Husky Points”. Those points would then count toward the purchase of T-shirts, mugs, food, etc. The card/app would also give UConn fans a sense of reward for helping build the Husky brand. The accumulated points could become another factor in the student ticket lottery system giving the most deserving and loyal supporters earlier access to tickets. The app would be scanned at all UConn events, whether in the beer line or the bookstore--buying tickets or merchandise--in person or online. When students went to the school play or entered the football stadium—they’d swipe their card or scan their app.
Technical and contractual details would need to be worked out, and the concept obviously requires some development and marketing expense by UConn, but since the “value” on the cards could only be spent on UConn related purchases from approved vendors, the University should get everything back and then some.
David, I don’t know if this a viable idea or even a creative one but I hope you view it in the helpful spirit in which it is intended.

Thanks and regards

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

I suggested a plan somewhat similar to this years ago to both Warde--and Benedict. Never heard back--lol.

July 17, 2016
David,
As you know, a lot of angst surrounds the inability of our fans (and students) to get into the stadium early and stay till the end. Here’s one idea to hopefully help impact football attendance.
Why not develop a Husky Fan App to help get people into their seats at the Rent prior to kickoff and stay until the end. How? Since the ticket takers are already scanning tickets they could also scan each Husky Fan App. By recording the exact time of the scan as they enter through the ticket turnstile, those entering early, such as up to 15 minutes before kickoff and again as they leave would automatically receive a small bonus reward deposit of dollars or points into their app to spend on Husky merchandise and concessions.
And if they entered the stadium even earlier, like up to 30 minutes early, they could receive special additional points! These accumulated points could be used to defray the cost of concessions that are currently perceived as being too high. This could also help condition fans to break down their tailgates a bit earlier and get into the stadium before kick-off.
With a boost from ubiquitous social media, plus word of mouth, the buzz about these membership incentives would grow after the first game. There are lots of ways UConn could likely expand upon this concept, but at least as a tool to motivate fan attendance, it should at least be explored..
All UConn students, alumni and fans would be directed to sign up online to get their app, which, as incentive, could be automatically pre-loaded by UConn with a small dollar value or equivalent points. UConn fans could then add additional value as with a “Dunkin' Donuts Card”.
The app would also be “scanned” to buy any tickets for UConn sponsored events. And each purchase would result in an allocation of “Husky Points” (the quantity would need to be determined after analysis). This would allow fans to build up their “Husky Points”. Those points would then count toward the purchase of T-shirts, mugs, food, etc. The card/app would also give UConn fans a sense of reward for helping build the Husky brand. The accumulated points could become another factor in the student ticket lottery system giving the most deserving and loyal supporters earlier access to tickets. The app would be scanned at all UConn events, whether in the beer line or the bookstore--buying tickets or merchandise--in person or online. When students went to the school play or entered the football stadium—they’d swipe their card or scan their app.
Technical and contractual details would need to be worked out, and the concept obviously requires some development and marketing expense by UConn, but since the “value” on the cards could only be spent on UConn related purchases from approved vendors, the University should get everything back and then some.
David, I don’t know if this a viable idea or even a creative one but I hope you view it in the helpful spirit in which it is intended.

Thanks and regards
I remember talking about this on the board and I still think it is great idea. Get local eateries to offer discounts and/or add points to people food accounts. Maybe add a Husky Hardcore Fan code to the scoreboard at the end the of games that has to be responded to in a narrow window to encourage people to stay. Food, maybe some tee shirts could be used as incentives.

FWIW, if anyone has app designing skills, I think this would very successful, much like the 'cuse kid who has like 50% of college team sites running his software.

But really, this new technology seems relatively easy to work around. Give it a couple of weeks until fraternity and sorority pledges are stuck holding dozens of phones for active members. That's going to happen -- just watch.

Uh no, because that would mean they'd have to give up their phones for hours, not happening... unless they used a sports burner phone.

Reaction Score
If you leave a Bama game early it should be understood that you forfeit your tuition and are immediately run out of school on the most convenient rail.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Forced attendance. But Alabama is a football state that has no trouble with spying on students even as they abhor the Deep State of their vivid imagination. An idea whose time should never come.

Rewarding for staying on the other hand. For last years team, forcing students to stay to the end would’ve been pretty harsh but rewarding them for sticking it out with a free cheeseburger, that’s forward looking if not nutritional.

Reaction Score
"Penalized"? for something that is supposed to be fun and volunteery to attend for as long as you want? Be it 2 minutes or 2 hours. Don't like it a bit. Maybe the wrong word to use. Maybe "incentive" is a better word to use, or "rewards" so it sounds more positive. Maybe that works in Alabama though I still think it would be better to put a more positive spin on it as it sounds forced and as the article itself states, "creepy". What is better IMO, as someone else mentioned, partner with local eateries, etc. have something for the students in the 4th quarter, or midway through it, to reward those who stayed, as an incentive. Student discounts for food and beverage starting in the 4th quarter maybe? The ticket can be stamped, including with the time of entry upon entry into the stadium to make sure students are not just coming late just for the benefits. Or stamped with another second color if they come "too late" to signify they are not eligible for that days incentive. I dunno, but no one wants to feel forced to stay anywhere and have "penalty" in the back of their minds, especially for a program that has struggled for so long. Make it fun, people will come.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Who are the ad wizards that came up with this one?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’m just going to spitball here - perhaps not losing every FBS game for years against a schedule of uninteresting opponents may be more effective?

And doesn’t require 3k word emails? I’d send Benedict Omaha steaks if he wrote back tl/dr.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I don't like infringing on anyone's rights but would like students to come and stay unless the game is a blow out. The game was close and yet they still left, that is a problem as Williams pointed out.

Reaction Score
With alumni -- do they renege on the diplomas if someone leaves game early?

No. However in order to be admitted your children will need to increase their board scores by 20 points for every incident. 30 points if it is an Auburn or LSU game.

Reaction Score
Sad the low we have reached. Free ride to the game, free ticket into the game and now some want to pay them to watch the game. Doooooooomed posted while I was typing agree everyone gets a trophy.
Waiting for the suggestion that we close the gates and electrify the fences until games end.

Reaction Score
Sad the low we have reached. Free ride to the game, free ticket into the game and now some want to pay them to watch the game. Doooooooomed posted while I was typing agree everyone gets a trophy.
Waiting for the suggestion that we close the gates and electrify the fences until games end.
We should close the gates and electrify the fences until the game ends.

Reaction Score
Every few days you read something on the internet and think "that's the dumbest thing I've read in a while." Alabama wins that thought for the day.

Reaction Score
I see what you mean in one instance. disagree with the sweeping stereotype of an entire generation of course. But, at the same time, I think a lot of businesses are just looking for ways to keep customers and increase their customer base. It is not easy, as we can see here. I don't agree with everything the school does, but I see the reason behind it (get more people to the game) even if how they go about it seems (or sometimes is) misguided to many of us. I think we have identified the issue, clearly and ad nausea. Now the next step is, what are some solutions? Anyone else want to offer reasonable solutions? And by solutions, I mean short term solutions, because obviously the longer term (at least another few years) is simply win, put winning product on field = get fans. But for the time being, for this next year or two, what possible solutions are there?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you are going to constantly carry a device with you that must report its location to a network to function why would anyone except not to have their location monitored?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Maybe we can give each student a fan score and below a certain number they get eliminated?
Um I kind think they've been doing that on there own for years now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom