Alabama Scouting Report | The Boneyard

Alabama Scouting Report

Reaction Score
Quick disclaimer, I did not watch yesterday's Michigan State/Alabama game, but since many of you did, I wanted to post this early to get all of your opinions from that game.

Alabama: 5-0
Kenpom Rating: 11
Previous games:
  • 11/7 win over #166 Longwood 75-54
    • Six scorers between 8 and 14 points
    • Four players with 10+ rebounds
    • Three players with 2+ blocks
  • 11/11 win over #82 Liberty 95-59
    • Three players with 16+ points
    • Three players with 3+ assists
  • 11/15 win over #218 South Alabama 65-55
    • Brandon Miller: 19 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 threes made
  • 11/18 win over #228 Jacksonville State 104-62
    • Three players with 18+ points
    • Four players with 3+ assists
    • Seven players with a made three pointer
  • 11/24 win over #24 Michigan State 81-70
    • Brandon Miller: 24 points, 4 threes, 9 rebounds, 2 blocks
    • Michigan St’s Malik Hall DNP

OFFENSE: 15tn efficiency
  • #2 in the nation in offensive rebounding
  • They shoot a ton of threes (17th most proportionally)
  • 23rd in offensive tempo
  • Good at getting to the line (46th in FTA/FGA ratio)
  • Give up a ton of turnovers (21.3% turnover ratio is 273rd lowest)

DEFENSE: 17th in efficiency
  • #1 in opponent 2p% (34.8%)
  • 14th in block % (16.2%)
  • Don’t generate turnovers in other ways aside blocks (235th in steal %, 309th in non-steal/block TOs)
  • 65th in defensive rebounding rate
  • Opponents aren’t able to shoot a lot of threes (71th lowest 3pa/fga, 32.9%)
  • Prevented opponents’ assists (42.6% A/FGM is 52nd lowest)

1669383061077.png

With only two NCAA tournament appearances in the previous thirteen seasons prior to his hiring, Nate Oats has been a slam dunk hire. Not only has the Tide made the tournament in the last two seasons, but they have become top destination for HS recruits and transfers ranking in the top-15 nationally in each of their recruiting hauls between the ‘20 and ‘23 classes.

At Alabama, Oats’ has integrated the same style of offense he was famous for at Buffalo: play fast and shoot a lot of threes.

Aside from freshman guard Jaden Bradley and sophomore big Charles Bediako, everyone else in the regular rotation let it fly from three, so expect three or four shooters on the floor at all times.

With the ability to gather the caliber of athletes Oats was unable to attract at Buffalo, Alabama isn’t just an offensive machine: according to evanmiya.com, all players aside from point guards Mark Sears and Jahvon Quinerly are plus-defenders, which makes me think this is yet another game where Tristen Newton can utilize his size, creativity and balance to attack Alabama’s PGs and take advantage of their defensive inefficiencies.

While Oregon’s bigs are more known for their offensive abilities, Alabama’s bigs are much better defensively, but lack overall heft

3FRtSoDgqp1GQq4qcdzTjCq_9RfXTAPTFLRAdIZ4bv2_4lBg9SaxRlXYVDsXAXFnoWANFVYbGIIIgkUBiakHZm9euPm9-9SRgC0TrY6UGM_xPdMnYzqKGsCGAmlU82aAKv3wA-sFC6aQCGvwepCCBWTzW2kWgW6KTc55xjocbkrggF5smySqRP68w1RHIg

Looking at Alabama’s most frequently used lineups, perhaps UConn should continue the good spacing it showed last game by utilizing Karaban at the 4, keeping him at the perimeter, and forcing Brandon Miller to away from the basket, which allows Sanogo/Clingan one-on-one opportunities to battle with the thinner Alabama bigs and kick-out when necessary.

I’ll be honest, a week ago, I wouldn’t think UConn would have much of a chance against Alabama, but with the positive momentum moving forward, I’m pumped for this one and like our chances.

Brandon Miller will be an interesting player to defend. 247 compares him to Paul Pierce, a versatile combo forward who can do a little bit of everything on offense. Can Karaban keep up with him? Personally, I'd like Jackson to defend him, but then that would mean we'd play with a smaller lineup with Jackson at the 4 (which necessarily isn't a bad thing).

Major props to the players and coaches for the performance so far this season. It’s a different UConn team than last, but I really like it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Were we slated to play them in 2021 + 2022 if we got out of the first round?

Reaction Score
How do you attack a team that doesn't give up a lot of 3-point attempts, but is also elite at shot-blocking and defending the interior?
outisde of alleyne, our team has taken virtually zero mid-range shots this year (unless you count those adama midpost hook shots) but we might have to tonight. if guys are gonna be running us off the line and walling up the interior, i'd expect some open mid-range shots and some lobs and/or dump-downs inside.

excited for this one! will definitely be tough, though.

Reaction Score
How do you attack a team that doesn't give up a lot of 3-point attempts, but is also elite at shot-blocking and defending the interior?

Draw fouls, play fast, offensive rebounding, low TOs. Same recipe that has beat us at times.

Reaction Score
Brandon Miller has been insane so far this year. He's making everything he throws up. He's kinda what Emoni Bates was billed to be. 6'9" shooting 53% from 3 on 7 attempts a game. He also drives and draws a ton of fouls (but is not actually a good finisher yet due to lack of strength). He's moving into top 5 maybe top 3 NBA lottery discussion.

I really wanted Sears in the transfer portal before Newton jumped in. He's a good player. Scoring combo guard.

We were connected with Nimari Burnett for a bit in the transfer portal.

Quinerly looked pretty good and healthy in their game last night.

Bediako is a beast on the offensive boards and pretty elite protecting the rim.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At this point, are those KP #s based only on this seasons games?

If so, it’s such a small sample size that I’d guess a teams’ overall defensive/offensive identity can be skewed substantially by competition tendencies. Just wondering because I don’t have KP subscription

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
So, 9:30 tonight and it will probably start late. Gross. Way too late. Wish we had the 6:30 slot. I’m thrilled we won and got this matchup. At least I can sleep in.
I like it once in a while on weekend nights. Gives me something to look forward to all day. I can have a few brews before it starts, kids are in bed, etc.

Reaction Score
Brandon "Baba" Miller has been insane so far this year.
Quick edit, Baba Miller is the Florida State freshman who is currently out til January w/ eligibility (international) issues.

At this point, are those KP #s based only on this seasons games?

If so, it’s such a small sample size that I’d guess a teams’ overall defensive/offensive identity can be skewed substantially by competition tendencies. Just wondering because I don’t have KP subscription
The exact algorithms are not public, but at this point, but there's a chance some of the rankings have some proportion to last season's stats too.

Basically, the stats are still skewed since teams' schedules are so disparate.

Reaction Score
Quick edit, Baba Miller is the Florida State freshman who is currently out til January w/ eligibility (international) issues.
Yeah that's right. Baba is "Leonard". Got the draft buzzy freshman big wing Miller names confused. The game description is accurate, though.

Reaction Score
Andre will try to make them beat us with someone other than Miller, and I don’t think it will be their front court. I like our chances

Reaction Score
March Madness Tournament talent on both sides.. Foul trouble-foul shooting may decide. Can't nod out on this one.. IMO.. Decided in last two minutes

Reaction Score
After reading this scout report,

Cannot shake the feeling that this game will be a dog fight, and nervous to see which out duel the opponent.

Reaction Score
This is a big key to the matchup. Andre is foul prone. Miller will draw fouls. Andre needs to shut him down without fouling.
He will also need to hit a shot or 2 early or they will sag off of him. I think Richie Springs gets some burn to at least play Miller very physical and absorb some fouls. I'd be fine if he fouls out in in 5 minutes of PT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom