Alabama Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Alabama Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
This is an incredibly constructed roster. Kudos to Danny and the staff. They knew exactly what they wanted and didn’t deviate from it. The team is a joy to watch. At all times, we have 5 kids on the floor working in unison. They all compliment each other so well and the ball movement is so fluid. This year will be like the good ole days.
Hurley drew a lot of flack for his offensive coaching the last few years. I think we need to accept the possibility that he squeezed as much offensive performance as he could out of what he had because a whole team of guys he recruited looks VERY different.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Hurley drew a lot of flack for his offensive coaching the last few years. I think we need to accept the possibility that he squeezed as much offensive performance as he could out of what he had because a whole team of guys he recruited looks VERY different.
The transfer portal change in recruiting made a huge difference. Newton was obvious, but he clearly did his homework on Calcaterra, Diarra and Alleyne.

Reaction Score
I thought AJAX had his worst defensive game this year. Got beat off the dribble a lot compared to the last 2 games. Still good D but off his high standards. He still looks lost on offense too. Please, never shoot a 3 again. LOL!
This is true - Brandon Miller drove past Jackson into the lane a few times, but the team collapsed and Jackson recovered. The fact is though, that was the entire defensive gameplan:

""We got into [Miller] in the halfcourt, 5-on-5," said Hurley. "Got into his air space, made him handle the ball. Anytime that he got involved in any type of dribble hand-off or ball-screen, we were super-aggressive. We wanted to chase him off the line and make him handle the ball."

Jackson was told to guard Miller close so that he couldn't get his elite 3-point shot up. A side effect of that is that Miller was able to drive, but the team was prepared for it, and Jackson was able to recover as well.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
You have a bagillion different teams playing and most fans aren't staying all day, just for their own team.
It doesn't explain the woeful upper bowl.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We are going to have between 27 and 30 wins come Selection Sunday.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You are actually saying a guy who comes off the bench and gives us some good minutes in bursts is better than all big east First teamer? LOL! Now this makes my takes that some people don't agree with sane. LOL! I mean there is no way Joey who doesn't have the attention that RJ had on people concentrating on just to stop him. Remember we had nobody to help RJ create real offense and limited shooters. Defenses concentrated on him and he still scored big buckets like the Villanova game winner last year. Joey C is just another scorer and not the main one as he we have(Healthy improved Hawkins, Adama, Alleyne, Newton, Karaban and Clingan who can score). RJ definitely was a better on the ball defender and passer. I love Joey California but let's not say he is this unstoppable scorer. He is a good shooter that is on a hot streak right now(I will give you he is a better pure shooter than RJ). I'm glad we have Joey C on the team but he is just a piece and not the main focus of our offense.
I mean RJ wasn’t all that effective the year before with Bouknight either though. He’s a ball dominant scoring guard who needs the ball to be effective. What on offense does RJ realistically do better than what we’ve seen from Joey C so far? I actually like RJ’s defense better than most despite his size. He was pretty heady and tough on that end.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I know Diarra only had 4 pts on FTs but he played some great D helping our 2nd half surge. There will be times when we need D and Diarra will play over Joey C.
Why does this matter?

The "Calcaterra can't play a lick of defense," train must be getting lonely.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Yeah I'm impressed with how Newton draws fouls. Nice to have a player like that. He is also has a pretty 3 pt set shot.
Yep sag off him in a zone and he will torch you with that set shot.

Reaction Score
I know the usual yentas will call it a dumb play but I had no problem with him going for the block at the end. Andre is a competitive kid and Brandon Miller is going to make a hundred million dollars in the NBA. The game was over anyway.

That run after Alabama tied it was huge. This team just has weapons all over the place.
If it was an isolated play, I agree. But he is picking up silly fouls when we need him on the floor. He is our best open floor defender and an awesome rebounder. He needs to pick his spots and be disciplined.

Reaction Score
What on offense does RJ realistically do better than what we’ve seen from Joey C so far?
handle the ball, run the point, create his own shot with the clock running out, distribute.

Love Joey C, but it’s a lot easier for him to play in this offense surrounded by other shooters, than it was for RJ.

He’s never going to have the other teams best perimeter defender on him. RJ often did.

He’s a better finisher than I thought he’d be, nice touch with his runners/floaters off the glass. But when he drives it’s usually off ball movement with the defense rotating and out of position. He isn’t in a pick and roll or ISO where he creates his own shot.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So should I get a Joey California shirt or a Hawkins shirt? Or Clingan? Or Sanogo? Hmmm. Or maybe Karaban or Newton.
You should definitely get a Joey California shirt. Isn’t there some guy in The Boneyard who makes T-shirts? He should get to work on that and get Joey a little NIL money. I think the thing would sell like crazy.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
When we first added Newton, one of his attributes I was most excited about was his ability to attack the rim and convert at the line.

Last season at East Carolina, Newton averaged 5.1 free throws made (15th nationally) at a 87.9 ft% (25th nationally).

That type of prolificness and efficiency at the line is HUGE in late game situations, especially in March and April.
I think Tristan is a pro. He plays within the game plan which against Oregons zone required the three ball . Against Bama we needed assists control tempo and then drawing fouls

Reaction Score
Other than a fifteen minute span (last five minutes of the first half and first 10 of the second half) when the wrong people were taking ill-advised threes and/or driving into the lane with little chance of scoring over the Alabama big guys, that was pretty much a total domination.

Reaction Score
I think that Joey C's shooting ability to make 3's eases the pressure on Hawkins, so that he can shoot the ball with less stress of "having to make" every shot he takes.

Reaction Score
This is true - Brandon Miller drove past Jackson into the lane a few times, but the team collapsed and Jackson recovered. The fact is though, that was the entire defensive gameplan:

""We got into [Miller] in the halfcourt, 5-on-5," said Hurley. "Got into his air space, made him handle the ball. Anytime that he got involved in any type of dribble hand-off or ball-screen, we were super-aggressive. We wanted to chase him off the line and make him handle the ball."

Jackson was told to guard Miller close so that he couldn't get his elite 3-point shot up. A side effect of that is that Miller was able to drive, but the team was prepared for it, and Jackson was able to recover as well.
Jackson can afford to be aggressive out on the perimeter and risk getting beat off the dribble because he's such a freak athlete that he'll recover well before the guy gets to the hoop. Or that guy will just get stuffed by Andre, Sanogo, or the Big D lmao

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
handle the ball, run the point, create his own shot with the clock running out, distribute.

Love Joey C, but it’s a lot easier for him to play in this offense surrounded by other shooters, than it was for RJ.

He’s never going to have the other teams best perimeter defender on him. RJ often did.

He’s a better finisher than I thought he’d be, nice touch with his runners/floaters off the glass. But when he drives it’s usually off ball movement with the defense rotating and out of position. He isn’t in a pick and roll or ISO where he creates his own shot.
I kinda agree. But Joey C is a big part of the off ball movement. The ball doesn’t stick with him and he’s constantly on the go. RJ didn’t always have the best defender on him either. He didn’t look any better playing next to Bouknight. He’s a guy who needs the ball.

Reaction Score
I think people need to relax about Jackson. He seems to be playing too fast right now as he works his way into the lineup because he wants to have a big impact. He'll figure it out. He's a terrific athlete, ball handler, defender, rebounder, and driver and he is a decent 3 point shooter when he is set.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I've watched all the top teams so far, we look like the best team. We should have a gaudy record this year and be fighting for a 1 or 2 seed.
I can confidently say we look better than Kansas. Better than Duke when I saw them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom