Al-Amir Dawes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
247 sports has him ranked 241 in his class... interesting offer I guess

Reaction Score
Kid is a stud that out plays his ranking. Love his toughness. Would be a great get

Reaction Score
247 sports has him ranked 241 in his class... interesting offer I guess
He has some good offers and it sounded like people thought he played well during AAU

Reaction Score
Question about recruiting. Can this guy accept and sign immediately? If we offer, what does that even mean? If we offered 5 of our 2nd tier prospects and they all accept on the spot aren’t we doomed?

Reaction Score
Question about recruiting. Can this guy accept and sign immediately? If we offer, what does that even mean? If we offered 5 of our 2nd tier prospects and they all accept on the spot aren’t we doomed?

Possibly. But unlikely.

Coaches make conditional offers, ask kids to wait, etc. Etc. Etc. An offer is really a formality more than anything.

Reaction Score
Kid is a stud that out plays his ranking. Love his toughness. Would be a great get
I think coaches don't put a whole lot of stock in rankings and how many stars a guy has, especially 3 star guys. Hurley obviously sees something he likes about this guy.

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score
Jalen Gaffney is ranked 204 on 247 composite also. And neither is ranked on Rivals, which I believe ties into those composite scores

Reaction Score
Jalen Gaffney is ranked 204 on 247 composite also. And neither is ranked on Rivals, which I believe ties into those composite scores
They’ll both be on the rise. They were both NBA Top 100 camp participants. Not too worried about their rankings.

It was also nice to see Dawes get a Wichita St offer. Marshall is being really picky with his offers so far this year, and he’s proved that he can scout better than most college coaches.

Reaction Score
0F378EFD-DE42-4E54-B9FF-1A6526F2D435.jpeg

Another pick

Reaction Score
As I have stated before and probably will again, we should all give less credence to the "rankings" of writers and other recruiting "experts" and much more weight to which schools have made/are making offers.

On the one hand, I do not think the recruiting service and industry "experts" are idiots - but they are often slow to move recruits up or down in the rankings, or absolutely wrong on a guy because he did not quite fit "the measurables" a 4* or 5* player should have (in their minds). There are such an abundance of examples every year that I could not possibly name them all, but here are a couple right off the top of my head from just the last couple of years: Bonzie Colson, Luke Maye, Jerome Robinson, Zhaire Smith, Landry Shamet and Shaq Morris (yes, Gregg Marshall and his staff have a well-earned reputation for finding players who are much better than their recruiting services rankings) just to name a few... and after this year we could be adding our own Christian Vital to that list, if he is not already there.

Coaches jobs and future careers depend upon them being able to identify the best talent for their teams/schools. With limited scholarships and limited time they must be able to identify and focus their efforts on the most talented players who are interested in going to their school. Period.

So let us look at Dawes. He already has offers from Clemson, TCU, St. John's, Minnesota and yes, Gregg Marshall and Wichita St. to name a few, with higher majors now kicking the tires and some offering after his consistently high level of play in the EYBL this year. He is obviously significantly outplaying his ranking of 241... and even more importantly he is showing many signs that the light has "gone on" for him and he has taken his game and attitude to a higher level with chances for more improvement looking strong.

I for one would rather offer and sign a low to mid 3-star who is showing significant improvement and strong work ethic with potential for more to come than a mid to high 4-star whose game has plateaued because other guys who matured later have caught up and are passing him. The college landscape is littered with guys like that who never amounted to anything. Unfortunately we have had our share of those guys recently.

Hurley offering Dawes seals it for me. If he is ready to commit and Gaffney is not, then we should happily take him and watch his rankings rise over the next 6 to 12 months before he gets here. In the long run, rankings do not matter: wins, consistent high-level of play and Championships are what should matter to us. After all, we are UConn. :cool:

Reaction Score
As I have stated before and probably will again, we should all give less credence to the "rankings" of writers and other recruiting "experts" and much more weight to which schools have made/are making offers.

On the one hand, I do not think the recruiting service and industry "experts" are idiots - but they are often slow to move recruits up or down in the rankings, or absolutely wrong on a guy because he did not quite fit "the measurables" a 4* or 5* player should have (in their minds). There are such an abundance of examples every year that I could not possibly name them all, but here are a couple right off the top of my head from just the last couple of years: Bonzie Colson, Luke Maye, Jerome Robinson, Zhaire Smith, Landry Shamet and Shaq Morris (yes, Gregg Marshall and his staff have a well-earned reputation for finding players who are much better than their recruiting services rankings) just to name a few... and after this year we could be adding our own Christian Vital to that list, if he is not already there.

Coaches jobs and future careers depend upon them being able to identify the best talent for their teams/schools. With limited scholarships and limited time they must be able to identify and focus their efforts on the most talented players who are interested in going to their school. Period.

So let us look at Dawes. He already has offers from Clemson, TCU, St. John's, Minnesota and yes, Gregg Marshall and Wichita St. to name a few, with higher majors now kicking the tires and some offering after his consistently high level of play in the EYBL this year. He is obviously significantly outplaying his ranking of 241... and even more importantly he is showing many signs that the light has "gone on" for him and he has taken his game and attitude to a higher level with chances for more improvement looking strong.

I for one would rather offer and sign a low to mid 3-star who is showing significant improvement and strong work ethic with potential for more to come than a mid to high 4-star whose game has plateaued because other guys who matured later have caught up and are passing him. The college landscape is littered with guys like that who never amounted to anything. Unfortunately we have had our share of those guys recently.

Hurley offering Dawes seals it for me. If he is ready to commit and Gaffney is not, then we should happily take him and watch his rankings rise over the next 6 to 12 months before he gets here. In the long run, rankings do not matter: wins, consistent high-level of play and Championships are what should matter to us. After all, we are UConn. :cool:

Good read.

Just fyi--the reason why he is lower ranked (though he will rise a ton), and why he is likely a conditional, plan B option, is because he is a VERY inefficient shooting-wise.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
One of the things that happened with the 2019 class is that there are so many good bigs and combo forwards and wings that it had pushed these guards, particularly undersized guards, back in the rankings.

Also, am I the last person in the world to find out that Cole Anthony is Greg Anthony’s son!? I legitimately just learned this yesterday and I follow recruiting pretty heavily.

pj

Reaction Score
I didn't realize Jalen Lecque was so big. Has he grown?

Dawes looked very effective, but it seemed like no one could check Lecque.

Reaction Score
I have a lot of faith in this staff but can only laugh thinking about this thread if KO was recruiting #241 in the class:eek:
To be fair, Dawes is still getting invited to better events/showcases than Carlton, Polley, Whaley, Matthews, Kisunas, or even Vital ever did. And he was third team EYBL above tons of 4 star guards. That being said, to your point people will definitely give Hurley more slack.

Reaction Score
To be fair, Dawes is still getting invited to better events/showcases than Carlton, Polley, Whaley, Matthews, Kisunas, or even Vital ever did. And he was third team EYBL above tons of 4 star guards. That being said, to your point people will definitely give Hurley more slack.
It's also different because usually when we started offering lower ranked guys it was late in the process. This seems more like covering our bases and setting up viable plan Bs' and plan C's. It's not like we aren't recruiting more highly ranked kids, too.

Reaction Score
It's also different because usually when we started offering lower ranked guys it was late in the process. This seems more like covering our bases and setting up viable plan Bs' and plan C's. It's not like we aren't recruiting more highly ranked kids, too.
And also, Hurley has a history at URI of taking guys ranked that low and turning them into tournament teams.

Ollie, uh, did not.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Good read.

Just fyi--the reason why he is lower ranked (though he will rise a ton), and why he is likely a conditional, plan B option, is because he is a VERY inefficient shooting-wise.

What's his stroke like though? Nice form? Is he shouldering too much of the load for his team leading to worse looks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom