Al-Amir Dawes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Al-Amir Dawes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What's his stroke like though? Nice form? Is he shouldering too much of the load for his team leading to worse looks?

Stroke is fine from what I remember. Never seen him in person.

I think hes small, and has a limited "bag of tricks" relative to his athleticisn.

Reminds me a lot of akinjo. Great leader for his age and a good IQ. Tons of potential, but probably not a 20/5/5 type guy in college ever. Hell be am asset to whoever signs him up.

Reaction Score
As I have stated before and probably will again, we should all give less credence to the "rankings" of writers and other recruiting "experts" and much more weight to which schools have made/are making offers.

On the one hand, I do not think the recruiting service and industry "experts" are idiots - but they are often slow to move recruits up or down in the rankings, or absolutely wrong on a guy because he did not quite fit "the measurables" a 4* or 5* player should have (in their minds). There are such an abundance of examples every year that I could not possibly name them all, but here are a couple right off the top of my head from just the last couple of years: Bonzie Colson, Luke Maye, Jerome Robinson, Zhaire Smith, Landry Shamet and Shaq Morris (yes, Gregg Marshall and his staff have a well-earned reputation for finding players who are much better than their recruiting services rankings) just to name a few... and after this year we could be adding our own Christian Vital to that list, if he is not already there.

Coaches jobs and future careers depend upon them being able to identify the best talent for their teams/schools. With limited scholarships and limited time they must be able to identify and focus their efforts on the most talented players who are interested in going to their school. Period.

So let us look at Dawes. He already has offers from Clemson, TCU, St. John's, Minnesota and yes, Gregg Marshall and Wichita St. to name a few, with higher majors now kicking the tires and some offering after his consistently high level of play in the EYBL this year. He is obviously significantly outplaying his ranking of 241... and even more importantly he is showing many signs that the light has "gone on" for him and he has taken his game and attitude to a higher level with chances for more improvement looking strong.

I for one would rather offer and sign a low to mid 3-star who is showing significant improvement and strong work ethic with potential for more to come than a mid to high 4-star whose game has plateaued because other guys who matured later have caught up and are passing him. The college landscape is littered with guys like that who never amounted to anything. Unfortunately we have had our share of those guys recently.

Hurley offering Dawes seals it for me. If he is ready to commit and Gaffney is not, then we should happily take him and watch his rankings rise over the next 6 to 12 months before he gets here. In the long run, rankings do not matter: wins, consistent high-level of play and Championships are what should matter to us. After all, we are UConn. :cool:

You made a good point about the "light going on" and it fits with his coach twice making comments about his work ethic improving.

Reaction Score

Lecque was unstoppable, but if Dawes is a great defender why didn't they put him on Lecque? Or is that not what you do in AAU? And, was Lecque told not to pass to anyone?
Cockburn was a man among boys.
Dawes made some nice passes and drives and made his threes but they were more like set shots than jump shots. Maybe that's why his shooting has improved. Worked for Larry Bird.

Reaction Score
Lecque was unstoppable, but if Dawes is a great defender why didn't they put him on Lecque? Or is that not what you do in AAU? And, was Lecque told not to pass to anyone?
Cockburn was a man among boys.
Dawes made some nice passes and drives and made his threes but they were more like set shots than jump shots. Maybe that's why his shooting has improved. Worked for Larry Bird.

Lecque is not a great passer ajdis a terrible shooter. He is ranked highly because he jumps better than 99.99999% of the population.

AAU will put the best defender on a star. Thats basketball... dawes is clearly too small to guard him, especially since.he doesnt have a speed advantage. Best to put your quickest wing on him, and instruct everyone else to get deep into helpside in that case

Reaction Score
Lecque is not a great passer ajdis a terrible shooter. He is ranked highly because he jumps better than 99.99999% of the population.

AAU will put the best defender on a star. Thats basketball... dawes is clearly too small to guard him, especially since.he doesnt have a speed advantage. Best to put your quickest wing on him, and instruct everyone else to get deep into helpside in that case

Thanks.

Reaction Score
New ESPN Insider article snippet
4DC60316-16D2-4FA6-A3E6-FE1D9A7A9A5C.jpeg

Reaction Score
Dawes never tweets, but just followed and tweeted at Achiuwa...

Precious also talks to him through instagram.

This seems like the most logical PG commit and he could commit the soonest. Would rather take him now and get this class going than wait on a Gaffney or Wong

Reaction Score
Precious also talks to him through instagram.

This seems like the most logical PG commit and he could commit the soonest. Would rather take him now and get this class going than wait on a Gaffney or Wong
Much like the Akinjo situation last year, I think they’ll try to get the Watts/Wong/Gaffney group to visit, but if Dawes visits officially and is ready to commit, I doubt they wait long.

Last year we were on Carey and Nembhard all summer, but when Akinjo wanted to commit KO didn’t wait. It pissed Nembhard off, but waiting would have been a risk.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We have no recruits atm. If one wants to come here, you say yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom