Akok | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Akok

Reaction Score
Coaches have to understand who their studs are and how to design offensive plays for them.

Akok is going to be a great player, but it's not enough to say "put the ball in his hands".

You need to put him in a position to succeed. Where do you want him to catch the ball? Not every play is going to be an alley-oop.

Reaction Score
I’m not worried about Akok in the long-run. I’m going to go ahead and say he’s not super likely to leave for the NBA after the season, though. I’d love to have Akok and Bouknight on the team in two years.

Reaction Score
He's too nice (with his teammates), deferring too much. I'm not convinced he has a defined offensive role either. We dump it down to Carlton constantly, but never to Akok. I also would like him to get a mid range shot going. He's too talented to be one dimensional or allowed to become that.

Reaction Score
In the postgame Hurley said Akok has been gassed the last two practices so maybe he does have a cold or something. He plays so hard all the time. Love the kid and it’ll be fun watching him get better and better over next couple seasons.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Don’t really care if he scores or not at this point in his career. He gets almost double digit rebounds every game, hovers around 2 blocks a game, runs the floor end to end non stop better than anyone on the team, and he barely fouls. We need his defense more than his offense

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
For a Freshman Bouk is amazing. This kid is afraid of nothing. A few Freshman mistakes. Actually the same mistakes our seniors doing.

Reaction Score
Akok will be fun to watch and see if he develops over the next year and a half. He’s the most physically talented player on the roster, but offensively he’s still raw with mediocre shooting mechanics (very slow release), poor dribbling, and no mid-range game. He certainly has the tools to develop everything and be a lottery pick. He needs playing time and lots of coaching.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
How do you go out of your way to highlight Carlton's deficiencies in a thread about Akok? Nobody's even playing defense on you to force your error.
This is what you choose to bring here? Can't you do better?
13 points 12 boards. tied for team high on assists. horrible, just horrible. he should be 50/30/20, with enough energy to bring me a beer in the stands at every time out. you see any beer? I don't. fire 'em.

Reaction Score
Typical rookie big with paddle hands. Needs to work on his coordination.

Reaction Score
Pretty hard to see any offense game taking 5 shots a game. He just has to be more aggressive on that end of the floor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But how? Post ups down low? Driving from the high post? Pick and pop?

He looks like he has the potential to develop any number of skills, but it's not clear what his calling card is going to be, and in absence of that, it's basically nothing.
I dont think he'll ever be a true post up guy but I can see him getting baskets doing all of the above. Hes got a nice shooting stroke, is quick and long enough to get by his defender and has the length to score over guys in the post. He just needs to get stronger and of course develop these skills but strength is clearly his biggest issue. hes 6`9 190lbs.

Reaction Score
He has the tools to throw up some post moves, hit some fade-aways, runners and some Dirk style one legged shots.

He has to demand the ball and make it happen

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Go zone if you have to. Never let the opposing team take away your biggest weapon, which for us is the oppositions fear of Akok at the rim. Akok was on the perimeter all game defensively, it makes no sense to have him out there.

Reaction Score
Go zone if you have to. Never let the opposing team take away your biggest weapon, which for us is the oppositions fear of Akok at the rim. Akok was on the perimeter all game defensively, it makes no sense to have him out there.

They did a nice job drawing him away from the hoop and taking away his shot-blocking. As teams start to adjust to Akok, we'll need to then adjust to their game plans.

Reaction Score
It was his worst game all year, but Carlton was an even bigger neg. Proof that you’re better off being a no show than shooting 3 for 10 with a bunch of turnovers. It’s part of the reason why Akok is one of our best players and Carlton has been our worst
You win the internet. You just stated that 13/12/3 is a bigger negative that 2/7/0 with an ofer, and no blocks, which is really Akok’s differentiator.

Reaction Score
He really needs shooting drills every day. Pick and pop, jump hooks, turnarounds. Work on shooting. It's not all about blocks and dunks.

I’ve seen him play in person twice and granted thats a small sample. His stroke looks good, but his long range shots look flat. It seems he back rims a lot of his 3 point shots.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
13 points 12 boards. tied for team high on assists. horrible, just horrible. he should be 50/30/20, with enough energy to bring me a beer in the stands at every time out. you see any beer? I don't. fire 'em.
If he doesn't literally fly when delivering the beer, it doesn't count. And I don't mean that bogus version of "literally," where it's not really literal.

He's a junior now. Give him some Red Bull, get him some wings. Slim him down; turn him into a wing. Feed him some wings; fatten him up. Stuff the stat sheet. Overstuff it. Stat.

Fly.
Deliver.

This is the difference between still being in the first half of the season and having moved into the second half. Literally.

Reaction Score
I though the Vital-Gilbert-Bouknight-Wilson-Akok lineup looked really good out there at the end of the game. Athletic and versatile. Not trying to take a shot at Carlton but what I will say is that when he's out there I feel like they focus too much on giving him touches instead of just letting the offense flow.

Reaction Score
Maybe Akok needs to play the 5 and not Carlton. His game has to be jump started at the low block. Here we can look for him to make offensive moves and get the ball more. Had him there at times Sunday.
He seems to have the skill to play there. Something has to be done to make him more aggressive and look for his shot.

Reaction Score
He has 0 post up skills. I am a 5'10
1 150lb white kid and have defended him in there. His offense is drives and 3 pt shooting. As it should be--he's focused on the NBA.
I can see how being short and weighing 1,150 lbs could hinder your performance, but I'm not sure what your skin tone has to do with it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom